Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I first got my truck, I jumped on the bandwagon and installed LEDs inside. After taking a road trip this past weekend, and using the interior lights while driving, I’m thinking of going back to the regular incandescent bulbs. While I do like the crisp light of the LEDs, they were almost too bright. If I need a ton of light in the cab, I have a flashlight. But for using the map lights, I’m now thinking the softer, more mellow light is better.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just did interior and headlights and don't plan to do anything else anytime soon. I rarely, if ever, use the fog lights and the yellow is better for fog, so I probably won't change that either.

I've heard nightmares of the 3rd brake light leaking after being replaced, so I'm leaving that alone, too.

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
Can LED bulbs in the interior dome, map, and vanity lights really cause issues with the truck’s electrical system?
Not likely. but... The thing is the driver in the bulb can make electrical noise so you never know what will happen. And there are differences in bulbs too. Some are worse than others. I've never heard of anything horrible happening though.
As an example the ones I put in my reverse lights caused the backup camera to go a little 'fuzzy'.

Reactions: sivartk

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,156 Posts
I've done under lighting for vehicles where I need things from the floor. Keeps down the glare and you're not blinded getting in. When I was working overnights I kept the domes off because even stock they were too bright... my last truck I built my own dome lights, and a PWM dimmer. Worked great, you could have dim or blind.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The main reason I switched my interior lights is because the "fade on" was way too slow. I opened the door, stood there 1-2 seconds and then could see to grab something. The LED's fade on much faster. Since I park in the garage and have black leather interior it is almost always dark inside when I open the truck doors (rarely open the doors in the daylight unless I'm away from home). The fade out is no longer smooth, but in steps, but that doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The main reason I switched my interior lights is because the "fade on" was way too slow. I opened the door, stood there 1-2 seconds and then could see to grab something. The LED's fade on much faster. Since I park in the garage and have black leather interior it is almost always dark inside when I open the truck doors (rarely open the doors in the daylight unless I'm away from home). The fade out is no longer smooth, but in steps, but that doesn't really bother me.
The LEDs that I have currently installed really don’t have much, if any at all, fade in. They’re either on or off. But they’re ones I got from Amazon, not a name brand.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
4,086 Posts
All lights except Fog’s are factory/ stock.

Would like to switch the dome light to red LED - possibly the driver side and passenger side map lights also to red LED.
Only reservations are that I have read instances of LED‘s causing oddities with the electrical system and secondly time to put in the research to determine which LED’s beforehand.
Have you tried red incandescents?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Have you tried red incandescents?
I see Sylvania has amber colored ones. I wonder how they’d look in the interior of the truck.
Does red just lower the brightness or is there something else I am missing?
I think that’s the point of the red lights. They’re supposed to be easier on the eyes than the bright white light from LEDs.
After my road trip, I’m going back to the oem bulbs. I used the interior lights a few times and damn, they’re (the LEDs) are so bright.
I’m going to enjoy the mellower, softer light from the oem bulbs soon; I just gotta get some.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
4,086 Posts
The interior lighting is PWM, so
Does red just lower the brightness or is there something else I am missing?
Yes, red light has the longest wavelength of visible light and therefore causes the least amount of glare. Red has traditionally proven to be the best color of light to help preserve your night vision, although some studies show that low intensity green light also works very well.

Blue light on the other hand is the worst choice for trying to preserve your night vision, as it creates the most glare.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On the 2016, if you swap out the interior lights for LEDs you will find the harmonic frequencies of the LEDs are the same as the remote door lock frequency. The first click of the remote activates the interior lights so a 2nd click to unlock the other doors will not work. Factory rep removed my LEDs so the system would work properly. Hope they changed it in later models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious how many guys have all stock lighting in their truck. I swapped out the interior (and others, but not headlights yet) to LEDs mainly for the whiter light. I just like the appearance of the white light vs. the yellowish glow of the OEM incandescent bulbs.
If you still have the OEM interior, cargo, and plate lights, any plans to swap to LED or are you happy with them as they are?
On my 2018 ZR2 Diesel, I swapped out the interior and reverse OEM. No headlights. Instead of swapping headlights, see picture.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Land vehicle Tire
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still have the interior lights as they came from the factory... Hardly ever use them, plus I am sensitive to light so no need for brighter lights in the cab.
Cargo lights were swapped as part of upgrading the 3rd (High Mount) Brake Light. But I don't use the cargo lights.
Headlight Lights and Fog/Driving Lights are all LED now
Plate Lights are still factory. Seeing my plate is not going to prevent you from rear ending... So I don't care about them
I made the switch to all leds. The only one that I regret is the backup lamps. The bright light washes out the backup camera. I don't drive much at night anymore so it's really not so big a deal.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts