Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have to read the manual to see it. I wasn't aware of it either.

I drove it as I normally would. Just made sure that I didn't sit at one speed for very long the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
I was never made aware of a break in
It's in your owners manual.

Basically says in the first 500 miles: Don't drive over 55mph, and don't use cruise control, don't tow a trailer, don't rev the engine too hard, don't stop too hard.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried to follow it pretty close. I had to do some highway driving, which did compromise it a bit, but otherwise, I did pretty well. A little over 6000 miles now and she's getting better every day. Low 30s for MPG on highway. Best 50 mile average is 34-something.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
While still recommended and should be followed the new engine break in is not as critical as it once was. With the advent of better oils, roller cams and engines built to a tighter tolerance it is not life and death as it once was.

The best thing to do is follow the manual as some cars need a full break in and some have a light break in or like the NSX the engine is run in before it is installed.

Odds are nothing will result from failing the break in but there are still some risk involved so it is still best to follow the manual.

More critical often is the brakes as the factory and the dealer do not seat the pads and often this can lead to the dreaded pulse of the pads that is often mistaken for as warped rotor.

The bottom line is read and follow the instructions if you can.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I did for the most part. Sustained freeway driving was unavoidable for me during the first 400 miles but I did vary the cruise control by 5mph about every other song on the radio though to keep the rpms varied.

I usually do the breakin as the manufacturer or engine builder recommends. Mainly because I dont really have a preferred breakin style and it's not a bother to me so I'd rather they be happy it was done how they like it done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone heard your suppose to add weight in the bed over the first 1k miles? I was told to start with 200 pounds the first 200 miles and increase weight the closer you get to 1k miles......?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I failed the break in then. Bought my truck and had to drive 4 hrs to get back to where I was working. I'm a journeyman pipe fitter, I didn't really have a choice. Ran mine 75-80 for about hour and a half straight, using the cruise. Went through some smaller towns at lower speeds, but once I made my last exit it was 75-80 for around another hour and a half.

No problems with truck so far. I get 30+ on highway runs and around 23-26 everywhere else. Had my 25 mile run up to 34mpg couple weeks ago

·
Registered
215 Posts
Followed the owners manual break in to the letter. I get about 28 mpg driving back roads to work, highway is about 31 to 34. Barely uses any oil too, still on the full mark when i change the oil at 5 to 10 percent. 22,000 miles on the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
If by "followed the recommended break-in" you mean "picked up my wife on the way off the lot and got on the highway for 5 hours of constant speed" than I absolutely followed it to a T.
Well hell's bells. Then the duramax had the identical break in procedure as my 3.6 gasser did. What a coinky dink. :surprise::laugh:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I picked mine up with like 4 miles on it and have been approximating the Moto-man style of break in, which I have done on many vehicles with great success. Varied rpm, up to redline occasionally, downshifting to slow down, etc...

Around 500 miles I will hook up a trailer and get her good and hot, and will then go in for my first free oil change before 2K miles.

My method might be a bit extreme for this engine, but I'm glad I didn't have to drive it on the highway for 1K miles for break-in as that is less than ideal.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I picked mine up with like 4 miles on it and have been approximating the Moto-man style of break in, which I have done on many vehicles with great success. Varied rpm, up to redline occasionally, downshifting to slow down, etc...

Around 500 miles I will hook up a trailer and get her good and hot, and will then go in for my first free oil change before 2K miles.

My method might be a bit extreme for this engine, but I'm glad I didn't have to drive it on the highway for 1K miles for break-in as that is less than ideal.

I did the same thing, other than the up to redline bit. Only time I ever get that many Rpms is when the exhaust brake does it.

·
Registered
509 Posts

I've done that break-in in many Harley's including mine, three times. Twice on the Dyno I used to operate and once in the street. Best way to break-in a new or rebuilt engine, especially for those headed to Daytona in the spring and don't have time to ride 500-1000 Miles (the minimum we'd tune an engine).

Just following the book as best I can on my 2018 Dmax. Up to 380 miles right now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had a couple hour road trip from the lot back to my house, but tried to follow it as best I could by staying 60mph or under and varying my speed. People behind me on the highway were probably inventing new languages. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's in your owners manual.

Basically says in the first 500 miles: Don't drive over 55mph, and don't use cruise control, don't tow a trailer, don't rev the engine too hard, don't stop too hard.

Well I guess not doing 2 out of 5 isn't to bad. Brought my truck and dealership didn't want to give me that much for my trade in. So trailer it back for 250 miles at 70 or more using cruise. I did vary it between 65-75 every now n than.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.