Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I really, really doubt this is different for passcar, but their purchasing departments really do have more clout. But in general FIS are systems. You cannot use the pieces a la carte. So if you want Bosch injectors you have Bosch fuel pump, rail, lines, spill......and if you want the controls, Bosch computer too. Only that last part is negotiable provided you are doing all of your own software and controls then.

To change from one FIS to another would mean a complete new development. You have to run all sign-off tests, durability, and reliability growth for the new FIS from the ground up and then certify. It's practically like making a new engine.
On a hunch, I took a look at the Denso injectors used in the L5P 6.6 Duramax. Their design is identical to the updated LWN injector, so as I suspected it's not a Bosch injector with the rest being Denso. At least, this is all assuming the image for the updated LWN injector is correct/valid and not a generic injector image just grabbed from another part for reference. Which seems somewhat likely at this point since there are basically no other references and nobody has actually bought the updated part to compare or even pulled injectors from a 2019+ to compare to the originals.

"Updated" LWN injector - 2019-2020 GM Fuel Injector 55504598 | TascaParts.com

OEM Denso injectors for the L5P - L5P Denso OEM New Fuel Injectors | InjectorsDirect.com

·
Registered
152 Posts
These are all on e92a ecms but can load different OSs. If it is denso maybe it’s as simple as a update to injector tables like on a geniii-genv. I don’t remember seeing those tables displayed on hpt for this ecm

does anyone have hpt and a new style truck?

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,788 Posts
Yep.

But I do want to be clear. I do not blame the tune for what happened. I blame bad injs.
From the posts I have read in this forum, every single holed/cracked/melted piston failure has been on a tuned truck...

...with the exception of this guy who found that his fuel filters were long overdue and had possibly picked up some bad fuel.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
302 Posts
Then why the injector change, they could’ve used that money toward the 10 speed
They probably cost optimized them. Remember, Denso already was laboring under 1-3% annual price reductions on the FIS from the start as per standard GM purchasing policy. They probably rolled out the new ones with paper mache housings by 2020.

GM motto "If a part works, then it probably costs too much." And yes, I worked at GM in the Lopez era. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ballpark , how much did it cost to fix ? I'd like to know .. if ( and hopefully not when ) this happens to me.
As others have posted, it was about 12k to replace the motor, but I also replaced all the injs($1k) AND kept my core(about $2400, bought replacement piston/rings, keeping it in reserve in case of future failure, it's cheaper than another replacement motor @$6500)....so in all, mine was $15-16k

Really sucks....I like the truck...a lot...right size for how I use it. Had a 2013 Sierra that I traded in...just too damn big.

Now if GM would've just offered a low rpm torquey gas truck motor for the Colorado, I probably wouldn't have ordered the diesel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well now I have a new motor and a 3 year 100k warranty (odd how that's better then the one i had when I bought the truck new). As for additives and towing. No I wont be adding any I kind of hope it fails again just to stick it to GM, and has for towing I'm planning to tow even more.
I'll run it till it fails for the next 3 years than maybe consider going back to a Silverado (wouldn't mind having comfortable seats again).But Holy **** the prices are sky high.
That is what I plan to do is trade or sell in a few years once I pay it off. I think these motors are to small 3.6 is not a large enough motor for towing. I am going back to the Silverado or just update the 2003 Silverado that we have already.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It would be great if the aftermarket offered higher quality drop in injectors - one can easily get them for the big diesels. I wonder if Exergy could help us out.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
209 Posts
It would be great if the aftermarket offered higher quality drop in injectors - one can easily get them for the big diesels. I wonder if Exergy could help us out.
I believe Lightning98 over at his build thread is using Exergy injectors. His are +60% though, I don't know if they have a stock flow set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Now if GM would've just offered a low rpm torquey gas truck motor for the Colorado, I probably wouldn't have ordered the diesel.
They are supposed to be putting the turbo charged 2.7 4 cylinder gas motor out of the Silverado into the Colorado soon I thought. If so, that motor should fit the bill for being a low rpm torquey gas truck motor for you. I have watched several videos of the Silverado with this motor and it does better than I thought it would. In a lighter Colorado, I think it would be more than adequate.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
209 Posts
In a lighter Colorado, I think it would be more than adequate.
I was really surprised that motor didn't make it in during the mid cycle refresh, especially with GM selling the 2.8 Duramax plant. That motor is almost purpose made for the Colorado and Canyon.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah.... not buying a new truck. This ones paid off, and got too much money in it now to get rid of it. This is my last new vehicle. After this, going older....

Actually, just got the 36gal Titan fuel tank put in, and got the Roadmaster Active Suspension on order.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So is it fuel "quality", ?
Fuel "quantity" (tuned ECM throwing more fuel through the injectors)?, or,
Cheap injectors with no after market options, be it full body injectors or a nozzle swap?
Guess we are going to find out over time...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts