Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through pics of trucks, saw a ZR2 from the front. I thought to myself it doesn't look all that different from the rest with an air dam delete if it wasn't for the naked front tires. Right? I guess its an inch higher? But that's about it as far as approach angle. Right? It just seems opening up the bumper in the front of the tires only is just eye candy for the off roaders. ??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was looking through pics of trucks, saw a ZR2 from the front. I thought to myself it doesn't look all that different from the rest with an air dam delete if it wasn't for the naked front tires. Right? I guess its an inch higher? But that's about it as far as approach angle. Right? It just seems opening up the bumper in the front of the tires only is just eye candy for the off roaders. ??
Not just eye candy. It’s hanging with Jeeps and surpasing Tacomas. Very functional. Chevy did good (not a ZR2 owner).

·
Registered
299 Posts
The ZR2 bumper looks to me to about as functional (if not more so) as the rest of the off road factory setups out there. Good approach angle, skid plate to protect the radiator and fairly rugged good looks.

-Curtiss

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you want to take a 45k+ vehicle offroad, invest in a buggy or something you don't mind scratching, breaking, twisting.

I know what you are saying, but they made the ZR2 for the sales, they want to gather the other crowd that wants that look. they don't care about it being functuonal. people that offroad build their own rigs from a beater and pound on it.

we.....we're going to go around that bump slowly because we like our trucks and we want to spend money on mods, not repairs.

In my opinion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you want to take a 45k+ vehicle offroad, invest in a buggy or something you don't mind scratching, breaking, twisting.

I know what you are saying, but they made the ZR2 for the sales, they want to gather the other crowd that wants that look. they don't care about it being functuonal. people that offroad build their own rigs from a beater and pound on it.

we.....we're going to go around that bump slowly because we like our trucks and we want to spend money on mods, not repairs.

In my opinion.
I have a ZR2, maybe it will see the off road, maybe it won’t, I could give 2 ***** either way....I just like cool stuff, and this truck is cool

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The stupid license plate frame is the biggest issue on my '16 z71. You don't need to search long to find videos of the front plate frame being ripped off. I suppose I should also state that this assumes you had already pulled the air dam.

I will likely add the MidWest winch mount and a winch. This appears to slightly improve approach angle as well.
How does it all compare to a ZR2? I don't really care. My truck and shell are paid off and that's a feature I can't seem to negotiate in a ZR2 swap. Besides that I'm of the CCLB persuasion.

As for the ZR2 guys - Your trucks are cool. I like them. I like that mine is paid off even more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I Bought My ZR2 to Use

I also bought mine to use. I will do a few mods such as full skid plates. Level as shown in this forum and put on 33" tires. I have already had it on some fairly tough trails. If it will not hold up, I will trade it in for something else. From everything I have read about the ZR2, it do not think it will be much of an issue if a person is being reasonable and a little careful.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

In my opinion.
I couldn't agree more.....

If you own a ZR2 and take it offroad - That's awesome!! Just be careful, use your head, pay attention, listen to your guide, and get a spotter!! These trucks aren't bulletproof and you can & will create damage that can cost a ****-ton.

I remember many years ago - my husband and I were guiding a 'Wheeling 101' group thru the easy trails. A guy with a bran new Dodge Power Wagon was with us. He wasn't paying attention, ended up side swiping a tree. We tried to help him, but he refused to listen. He ended up gunning it and had a 2' Tall dent / scratches down the side of his truck. From the passenger door thru the backseat door and onto the bedside. A **** load of damage. The guy was an idiot. But - that's the price you pay when you take a new vehicle (or any vehicle) offroad.
Don't be THAT GUY

If you're a serious offroader - you're probably gonna remove that OEM front bumper and go aftermarket - and install a winch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
In my neck of the woods...

Most ZR2s, TRD Pros, Rubicon’s and even Raptors are mall crawlers...and never or almost never see dirt.
Purchased cause the owner thinks it makes them look “cool” to drive an “off-road” vehicle to Nordstrom and park it next to a Ridgelander...makes me chuckle every single time.

Reactions: Amxguy1970

·
Registered
485 Posts

Most ZR2s, TRD Pros, Rubicon’s and even Raptors are mall crawlers...and never or almost never see dirt.
Purchased cause the owner thinks it makes them look “cool” to drive an “off-road” vehicle to Nordstrom and park it next to a Ridgelander...makes me chuckle every single time.
So you drive around mall parking lots chuckling at trucks....every single time?....that sounds awesome....:roll:..why would you give 2 chits what someone does with their truck...seems like a waste of energy...but whatever floats your boat

·
Registered
38 Posts

You guys all completely forget the handling and ride characteristics of those vehicles over the stock versions. I bought a ZR2 that will NEVER see anything other than pavement. I would have bought a Raptor if it had fit in my garage. Why? Because they ride like luxury sedans and glide over torn up roads like you're riding on a cloud. Some of us want the utility of a pickup truck to haul around crap and do some light towing once or twice a month, but the other 28 days it's a commuter car. And we want the comfort and drivability of a luxury vehicle with ability to throw yard waste and oversized items in the back occasionally. The ZR2, Raptor, and TRD Pro provide exactly this.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If you're a serious offroader - you're probably gonna remove that OEM front bumper and go aftermarket - and install a winch.
Midwest Industries, aka 589FAB should release his ZR2 winch bumpers this weekend. It maintains the stock appearance, thank god, I don't care for any of the aftermarket bumpers. With the new winch bumper and Warn winch I'll be ready for more challenging terrain. I still need to 2 or 3 of supermods skidplates. I think I'll be equipped for everything but crazy rock crawling and 4ft deep mud.

What I really need is a beater truck I can roll on the roof and not care:grin2:

Reactions: fuelrange

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

In my opinion.
Correct, that is your opinion, and you can choose how you use your truck.

However, I bought my ZR2 to use as it was designed to be used. I take it off-road, and I use it as a truck. Because it is a truck. Specifically designed for of road use. It has brush rake down the sides. It has dents and scrapes in the rock sliders and skids. There are scrapes in the plastic of the front and rear bumpers.

I don't bash it into trees and rocks and trey it like a rock bouncer buggy, but that's not what it is. I drive it distances on the highway, run tougher that average trails, and then drive it home. Often towing an RV there and back.

Im building an IH Scout 80 for the crazy stuff! And for those trails the ZR2 Duramax will tow it there and back with ease!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Midwest Industries, aka 589FAB should release his ZR2 winch bumpers this weekend. It maintains the stock appearance, thank god, I don't care for any of the aftermarket bumpers. With the new winch bumper and Warn winch I'll be ready for more challenging terrain. I still need to 2 or 3 of supermods skidplates. I think I'll be equipped for everything but crazy rock crawling and 4ft deep mud.

What I really need is a beater truck I can roll on the roof and not care:grin2:
Be careful out there! It's refreshing to see other manufacturers (Chevy) acknowledge offroading and actually build something to compete with Toyota. I'll always be a Toyota fan - but they've been 'spoiled' by the lack of competition for soooooo many years.

Goin Turtle!! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was a desert racer for years before I moved to NC. I love the look of the ZR2 (and the Raptor). They make me really miss the desert. :( But I just could not let myself buy the ZR2 because I would have felt bad driving it in the city all the time. When I was a racer I always laughed to myself about the urban pre-runners. I know this is not everyone's thinking. That is why they make 200 MPH cars, and Raptors, ZR2s, etc. To each his own. So I got a Z71. That gives me some looks but keeps me feeling better. I love it. And it will be great for snowy days and pulling my boat off the slick ramps. (but I do love the look of the ZR2 and have watched many videos of it).

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.