Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with I have not had good luck with the chain type places... safelite and the like. So I'm curious. I have a Crack and now a chip too. The crack I have no idea where it came from. The chip happened on Friday but there was no one around me so I don't understand either. (I mean no cars visually in front of me for at least half a mile)

So I do want to replace it. Ideally with a factory panel because the replacement types I have had on other vehicles seem to get swirled and sand blasted in the winter quite easily vs the stock ones they replaced. Just looking for input.

Thanks in advance,

-Paul

·
Registered
2017 CCSB Z71
14 Posts
Safe lite is the worst. My sister used them once and they installed the WS wrong and it leaked the first time and the second time they pulled down the headliner in her vehicle for some reason and left it hanging. This was while the vehicle was at the dealership for a warranty repair. I got to hand it to the dealership though because they called my sister let her know what had happened, fixed the WS and headliner and dealt with Safelite and never charged her for it. They said they would get the money from safelite.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a local place that ha been in business for as long as I can remember. You don't stay in business that long and do crappy work.
I have a good local place too. I used them on my old truck for the 3rd (4th?) One as well as the 67 and all the older cars. That's primarily what they do. They said they'll do it for me but he said he'd honestly try someone else simply because it's not a normal order thing for him and it'd be a while before he could squeak me in... fair enough.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Safelite! The best. 4 windshields already, no problems.

Reactions: littleblazer

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Safelite is not consistent with there windshields. They work but never the same shape. And last time didnt install the wiper arm right or put the plastic back in correctly.

Think next one I put on my car will be stock.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
My Safelite experiences are all trouble free. As long they treat me like that I am fine and not going anywhere else. You guys must have had bad installers. Not me.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Safelite is not consistent with there windshields. They work but never the same shape. And last time didnt install the wiper arm right or put the plastic back in correctly.

Think next one I put on my car will be stock.
Just make sure the dealer doesn't call Safelight I guess....:)

Is Safelight a franchise or????

Reactions: Tom S.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just make sure the dealer doesn't call Safelight I guess....:)

Is Safelight a franchise or????
A lot of dealers do use windshield replacement services, but their bodyshops may not. Sounds weird I know, but in the case of my dealer, their collision shop is located several miles away from the dealership. The dealer does almost all warranty work at the dealership but all collision work is done at the other shop.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Many of the dealerships near me use Safelite to do their glass jobs even in the body shop/collision center.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
317 Posts
I use a local shop that was recommended by a mechanic friend.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
160 Posts
I’ve used Safelite a few times and never had a bad experience. YMMV. I had the windshield replaced on my 2nd gen last year with OEM glass even though they tried really hard to convince me to just use the aftermarket glass.

As to why they had to pull the headliner down, I can give a little insight on that. There’s two posts on the top of the windshield that fit into metal tabs at the top of the cab. You have to break those posts off in order for the weather stripping breaker tool to work otherwise the string will get caught on the posts and not break the seal all the way around making it nearly impossible to remove the old windshield. Whenever I had my windshield replaced on my 2nd gen the tech had to pull the headliner down a little to break those posts with a chisel and hammer. He did a good job though and didn’t damage anything or make a mess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Safelite! The best. 4 windshields already, no problems.
They replaced mine last year and I’m happy with the work and new windshield. It was my first time using them. Used a local shop on a previous vehicle who did really, really sh*tty job so I guess I’ll keep going back to Safelite in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Regardless of whom you use, .. I'd recommend the OEM glass . I tried an aftermarket windshield on my colorado and the car just seemed noisier . After complaining twice, .. they sent a different tech and he observed the aftermarket one didn't sit right (didn't match the vehicle profile exactly) resulting in a small gap at one corner. They could have fixed it, .. but at that point , I just insisted they replace with an OEM windshield . All good since then - touchwood.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have used Safelite with good results in the past.

Just like with any other place though, it's not the brand so much as the people who work there. Good, experienced people produce good results. NOOBs, or people without good, practices skills will do poor work. I have a Safelite place local to me that has also been there forever, staffed with good folks and i would trust them if i needed with any vehicle.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
My last job was done by a Safelite Tech that had only been there 2 months, was really worried when he told me that, but his job was the best I had ever had.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Let me start with I have not had good luck with the chain type places... safelite and the like. So I'm curious. I have a Crack and now a chip too. The crack I have no idea where it came from. The chip happened on Friday but there was no one around me so I don't understand either. (I mean no cars visually in front of me for at least half a mile)

So I do want to replace it. Ideally with a factory panel because the replacement types I have had on other vehicles seem to get swirled and sand blasted in the winter quite easily vs the stock ones they replaced. Just looking for input.

Thanks in advance,

-Paul
pilkington is the oem and seems to have the least defects

·
Registered
33 Posts

Thanks in advance,

-Paul
I've supplied equipment to the glass lamination industry for the last 25 years. About half of that is for automotive windshields. I can do a whole long deal, but not in the mood. So I'll cut to the chase.

OEM's all have a pretty ridged specification for fit, finish, with clarity & distortion levels. Some are more picky than others, but all are pretty good. Here is a real problem, honestly, it is very hard to get an actual OEM windshield unless you special order it from a dealer and are very specific that is what you want. Also, it will be quite pricy.

Then there is replacement glass. Other than impact requirements, that is about it. Some of the replacement windshields out there are really poor, and the worst you can get is Safelite! Their plants are all old equipment, and there is almost no quality control. Many of the frames that they have are also not as close as they could be, or do not move as free as they should when the glass is going through the leer / or bending / tempering furnace. FYI, the bending / tempering furnace is the key equipment to get the 2 pieces of glass correct. Many of the replacement glass manufacturing firms don't have much of a clean room for placing the interlayer and matching the glass. Then they cure them in an autoclave that is not very uniform, they use a lower pressure, and don't let it cycle long enough.

The best replacement windshields are from PGW (Formerly PPG). They have a complete replacement division, and the frames are from their OEM business. The res of their equipment is well kept, and of high quality. Thus, a quality product. Lastly, they actually run each windshield past an inspection graph and camera to meet an optical specification; and yes, some do get rejected.

The next best is Guardian, but they don't do an optical inspection on replacement glass

I've used a number of PGW replacement windshields with zero problems, and always a good quality.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts