Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LT 4x4 V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pickup up an enclosed car hauler in a few weeks and have two trucks to choose between.
trailer length: 24ft
trailer weight: ~4500lbs

2200mile (each way) trip from NorCal to Indiana on Hwy 80. To be clear, that's 2200 miles not towing and 2200 miles back towing the trailer.

Colorado is better in terms of mpg and wind noise. Handles better too when not towing. Presumably the F150 will be better towing with 20" longer wheelbase and 11,700 lbs towing capacity.

I'd estimate fuel consumption for the Ford will be about 15% higher.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,168 Posts
It's within the wheelhouse of both vehicles comfortably. They'll both probably burn the same amount of fuel towing, ecoboost may do a little better power wise. I'd take whichever vehicle I'm more comfortable driving and confident in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I struggled towing my enclosed snowmobile trailer in the wind above 10 mph (16+5L x 7Wx 6.5H) with my ex Colorado with P metric tires. Weight wise, towing power, and braking were all fine. Felt OK under 60 mph. Better with a weight distribution / sway hitch, but still not great. I now have a Silverado. Perhaps I was too sensitive to the front end moving around. You might get better MPG with the full size truck if you can travel the same speed as the semi trucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, which is more comfortable?

I always took my trucks on road trips when I had a choice between them or more fuel efficient sedans. The comfort was worth the fuel economy hit.

I’d probably take the full-size. My Sierras loved to eat up highway miles.

·
Registered
2021 LT 4x4 V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, which is more comfortable?

I always took my trucks on road trips when I had a choice between them or more fuel efficient sedans. The comfort was worth the fuel economy hit.

I’d probably take the full-size. My Sierras loved to eat up highway miles.
I'm coming around to that perspective too. ~70 hours in the seat is looooooooong time in ~8 days.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd say the f-150, longer wheel base, bigger body. Doing a lot of highway and country driving that wind will kill your arms. I did a 20 ft trailer with my Colorado through rual MN and I hated it because of the wind (maybe im just being picky since it was 20+ mph winds) but nonetheless when I took my dads silverado it felt a lot more comfortable. All depends on your personal feel, my uncle likes my colorado when he takes his boat up north or to one of the 10,000 lakes we have here. Smaller than a full size so able to get him to more places.

Reactions: SapphireRacing

·
Registered
2021 LT 4x4 V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say the f-150, longer wheel base, bigger body. Doing a lot of highway and country driving that wind will kill your arms. I did a 20 ft trailer with my Colorado through rual MN and I hated it because of the wind (maybe im just being picky since it was 20+ mph winds) but nonetheless when I took my dads silverado it felt a lot more comfortable. All depends on your personal feel, my uncle likes my colorado when he takes his boat up north or to one of the 10,000 lakes we have here. Smaller than a full size so able to get him to more places.
Makes sense.

The wind across the plains is my main concern since the trailer will be unloaded. 8.5x8x24 is a lot of area to catch air and cause sway.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Wind, mountains, varying road conditions.

If towing a fair to large trailer a distance, I would feel more comfy, safer, and better suited in a full size truck.

·
Registered
2022 AT4 CCSB Diesel
157 Posts
Another thing to consider is engine drone. If your Colorado is sitting between 3-4k rpms for the trip, it's gonna get real tiring on the ears fast. Those V6s are rev happy. Not sure about the Ford.

·
Registered
Sold 2019 zr2 gas crew cab, Current 2017 GMC Canyon SLT and 2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
504 Posts
F150 is my vote as it will be a calmer and quieter trip. Like others have noted, the V6 is going to spend a lot of that return trip in the 3k rpm and up range and that gets old after a while.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,168 Posts
Ours didn't exactly stay in low gear towing the boat. And it was near the RPMs where Ford starts pumping the artificial sound through the stereo... which gets old real quick too. But won't be in the 3k range until you start pulling grade at least so there's that. Which is nice. Again. Its a comfort thing ultimately.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
IMO...the F150's best suited for this trek & I can't cat too frustrated @ you w/ brand as I have a Mustang in the garage...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts