Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new vehicle. I have an option to either get a 2021 LT or a 2019 ZR2 with 23,000 miles. I was just curious what everyone thought

·
Registered
505 Posts
Zr2 looks cooler, still has warranty , eats gas,
Wt new, less cool, more warranty miles, saves gas, might cost more if you're a modding type.

Pick your poison.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zr2 looks cooler, still has warranty , eats gas,
Wt new, less cool, more warranty miles, saves gas, might cost more if you're a modding type.

Pick your poison.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I thought gas would be about the same since it’s the same engine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, if you like going faster than 65mph on the highway, you will get significantly lower mpg than a normal Colorado. If you drive slower it does decent given the tires and stance. Here in TX I do 85 and I am not even speeding. Gas mileage, not so great. You can really notice it on windy days. It's basically a giant brick.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
317 Posts
I bought the LT because it was cheaper and better gas mileage. I figured 98% of my miles are going to be road miles with the occasional forest road. My last vehicle was a stock 1500 Avalanche 4x4 and I had some enjoyable off roading with that vehicle and some memorable road trips. My main reason for having a 4x4 is to get to back country skiing in the winter.

You have to decide what your end use will be and make your decision based on that.

Reactions: wrench.monkey

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
206 Posts
Let us know what you're going to be using the truck for, that would give you the answer unless you want the zr2 just for the zr2 factor.
As mentioned, if you do a lot of highway in a windy place the MPG won't even be close between the two.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
It’s your money I’m spending so I’m saying zr2. 23K on these trucks is just getting started. I have 18k on my 21.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
232 Posts
If you're OK with the 2-2500lb towing hit on the ZR2 (I believe it maxes at 5000lb), and plan to go offroading, then the ZR2 makes a lot of sense. The shocks on that thing are absolutely amazing compared to everything else on the market, and it has selectable front and rear lockers.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let us know what you're going to be using the truck for, that would give you the answer unless you want the zr2 just for the zr2 factor.
As mentioned, if you do a lot of highway in a windy place the MPG won't even be close between the two.
Everyday truck driving will be in the mountains of east tn. (Great Smoky Mtns). Use it for hunting so there will be some off-roading there. Not a lot of highway/interstate miles.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
ZR2 may look "cooler" but if you don't get it dirty (e.g. off-road) then what's the point? Go for the truck you're planning to use...IMO.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’d buy the Canyon elevation or the ZR2.

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
303 Posts
Everyday truck driving will be in the mountains of east tn. (Great Smoky Mtns). Use it for hunting so there will be some off-roading there. Not a lot of highway/interstate miles.
The zr2 with factory tires will go in 2wd where the Lt with factory tires will have to shift to 4wd. I suggest just driving both and see which one you like best. You can always add more aggressive tires to the Lt later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought the LT because it was cheaper and better gas mileage. I figured 98% of my miles are going to be road miles with the occasional forest road. My last vehicle was a stock 1500 Avalanche 4x4 and I had some enjoyable off roading with that vehicle and some memorable road trips. My main reason for having a 4x4 is to get to back country skiing in the winter.

You have to decide what your end use will be and make your decision based on that.
yep I need some skins for my old 10th mtn Karhu slabs with Fritschi bindings. I used to be young & only had 3 pin waxless but had lots of bc skiing fun in the adks & southern tier ny.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some off roading just get the LT. A new vehicle that you know what has been done to it always wins versus a lower mileage trade in, makes you wonder why or how they treated it, especially something like a ZR2. Chances are you won't ever need the capabilities of the ZR2, most never get there. Add some better tires to the LT and it will get you to your hunting spots, will haul and tow more (payload and towing are down on the ZR2) and get better mpg. Tires determine the noise level in the cabin and the LT stock will be better. As someone else said buy which tool fits your uses best. An occasional hunting trip isn't the same as regular moab trips or stage 6/7 trails out west.

Tyler

·
Registered
293 Posts
No, aerodynamics is a big one as well as increased rolling resistance from different tires all contribute to a mpg reduction
Correct , but many folks upgrade their (awful) stock 255/65/17 tires sooner or later and / or lift their vehicles resulting in less mpg

The only reasons to get a zr2 would be off road capability, ride comfort and the "look", at the cost of increased purchase price, operating cost and lower towing capability.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
I went through this a few weeks ago, LT/Z71 or pay a lot more for a ZR2 (all used in my case). I determined that since I don't do hardcore off-road stuff anymore that the ZR2 would be a waste and the LT/Z71 is the smart choice. Then I bought a ZR2 anyway for looks, better shocks, and just in case I decide to hit some real trails again. I couldn't tell a major difference in ride quality from the few test drives I did, but supposedly the ZR2 rides nicer and handles better on road as well as off.

Another way to look at it, assuming you don't do hardcore wheeling:
Smart logical option: LT or Z71
Emotional option: ZR2

·
Registered
2017 CCSB Z71
14 Posts
Correct , but many folks upgrade their (awful) stock 255/65/17 tires sooner or later and / or lift their vehicles resulting in less mpg

The only reasons to get a zr2 would be off road capability, ride comfort and the "look", at the cost of increased purchase price, operating cost and lower towing capability.
I think you replied to the wrong comment. I agreed that there were plenty of other factors that affect fuel economy and I wasn't suggesting the OP get either trim.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The answer is yes. Both are great trucks.

The ZR2 is better looking and has some really fun hardware. But...I might be biased.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
317 Posts
yep I need some skins for my old 10th mtn Karhu slabs with Fritschi bindings. I used to be young & only had 3 pin waxless but had lots of bc skiing fun in the adks & southern tier ny.
I bought the canvas strap on skins with my Karhu 10th Mountain skis. I’ve since replaced them with Black Diamond skins.

I grew up in SW Vermont and learned to ski on wax skis as soon as I was old enough to walk. I still mostly use wax skis but have some wax less for unfavorable snow. I also have a pair of Fischer EZ skin wax skis for touring trails. I use the Karhu in the steep and deep powder.

Reactions: wrench.monkey
1 - 20 of 20 Posts