Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We've done this before at CF...

Usually it goes like a "9mm vs. 45 ACP" discussion on a firearms forum.

I'm enjoying my 2nd set of Goodyear Eagle RS/A.
Don't know if they're available in 20's.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dillusion said:
I have Firestone Wide Oval Tires.

245-40-20

Cost is the same as RSA's but I feel the performance is much better out of them.
as seen these aswell.. they have an XL at the end of the name though. and whats the difference in the "wide oval" or is that just what they call it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am runnin kuhmo ecsta right now but only have like 7k on them

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone run the all season low profile tires, becasue i know they have a lil more tread life then the high performance tires? i just want to know roughly if i can go through at least 2 seasons (not winter) on high performance tires or do they wear out that fast?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for tire readings, some say ZR and thats for highspeed i believe..but most 245/40/20 tires have the zr so does this mean those are the ones im gonna have to run? do other ppl run those?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The zr is a speed rating much higher than you'll ever go.Try this link. Hopefully it will help you find what your looking for.
http://www.tirerack.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm running BF Goodrich A/T KO's, 32x11.5 on stock rims .. no rubbing .. Couldn't be happier. The Generals are pitiful tires.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
I was running the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 tires recently. I put 26k miles on them and they were barely worn half way down. I didn't realize my alignment had gotten bad and I wore the inside edge of the tire too far for any shop to rotate and balance. Had my alignment problem been caught early enough those Potenzas would have easily hit 50k miles. Those tires have a 400 tread wear rating and Bridgstone has a 40k mile tread wear warranty on them. However, they were back-ordered when I needed to replace them a couple weeks ago.

I am now running the new Goodyear Eagle F1 tires and they have a higher load rating and stronger sidewall with carbon fiber reinforcement. They are much quieter than the Potenzas and less harsh on rough roads and expansion joints. They absorb the impacts much better. Tread wear rating on these tires is listed at 420. True mileage wear still remains to be seen as I have only had them for 2 weeks. So far I have been very impressed with them. I also drove around on some snow this past weekend and didn't have any traction issues.

BTW, both tires mentioned are all season mud + snow rated and are Z rated tires. I am also running 255/35ZR20 size.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok that all sounds good...i guess ill have to get the 245/40ZR20 right? and to prevent inner wearing, would i need to put a camber kit on my truck if i lower it 2/3 or even 3/4??

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Mine was more of a toe issue than it was a camber from what i was told. The truck tracked straight and did not pull to either side so I had no idea the toe was off enough to scrub the inner edge of the tire.

A camber kit will help if you go lower than 2" up front.

·
Registered
382 Posts
PMoney said:
I'm running BF Goodrich A/T KO's, 32x11.5 on stock rims .. no rubbing .. Couldn't be happier. The Generals are pitiful tires.
Just ordered mine off of TIRERACK.COM. I hope I'm as pleased as you. Best deal goin. Even wholesale prices around here couldn't compare. Mostly because tire prices just went up at suppliers about 20%.
Also, keep in mind rim widths change depending on what type Rado or Canyon you have, so these tires might not fit on everybody's truck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks thats alot of info...BUT which will work best..if i can find a good 255/40/20 tire should i just go for that or stick with the 245.40.20? and does it matter if i get a "ZR" or "R" most say ZR

·
Registered
382 Posts
This link will explain load and speed indexes and why you see the z in the tire size and sometimes you don't. Either way the speed index is labelled somewhere on your tire either in the size (produced before 1991) or seperate(produced after 1991).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=35

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya ive been researching it already a bit. but like the speeds it shows is crazy fast. i wont be going 200km..i kinda dont get it. dont most of you guys on here have a zr tire or w.e.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just means they're more durable with heat stress.
I would guess the more low profile tires have better speed ratings, but a lot of us have all terrains not designed for high speeds(more off roading).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts