Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
In all reality, both the ZQ8 and Z85 are riding on the same frame. The ZQ8 comes with factory dropped coil springs and leaf springs plus front and rear sway bars. So, it really wouldn't matter much unless you want to run Belltech sway bars in the rear. Then I suggest getting a Z85.

How low do you plan to go with the new truck?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably a 2/3 or a 3/4... if i remember correctly the lowest you can go is what a 4/5 or something like that... i forget who it was that went that low... ill be sittinbg on 20's as well once i get the money after that to buy new rubber for them... I was thinking going with the z85 myself but i wasnt too sure

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Just to confuse you more, a 2/3 on a Z85 is equal to a 1/2 on a ZQ8 and a 3/4 on a Z85 is equal to a 2/3 on a ZQ8 lol

Anything lower than a 3/4 Z85 or 2/3 ZQ8 would require a rear frame notch. Ride quality on both trucks with that much drop will be crappy as there will be less than an inch of travel before the axle slaps the frame or the front tires rub the inner fender.

L150 and rrcn are both lowered about 5/7 -ish but also have notched rear frames and smaller diameter front tires to make the ride liveable.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
A 2/3 drop will ride near stock with the right components. A 3/4 drop will ride rough.

rrcn has the new Belltech drop shocks and says it has improved his ride. Maybe try the drop shocks with 1" drop coils and 3" blocks with the new Belltech Street Performance shocks on the rear.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Right now I have AIM coilovers up front and 1.5" drop blocks in the rear with helper bags. I have the drop set at 2.25" front and 2" rear lower than stock ZQ8.

I just upgraded the rear shocks to QA1 adjustable shocks and they made a world of difference! But, they're pricey. I also have new coilovers for the front and hope to have them installed soon.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
It all depends on the styling you are looking for.

A Z85 offers you more of a "clean sheet" approach with a lower initial cost. Usually has chrome grille and bumpers unless you find a street pack version.

A ZQ8 offers you a mildly custom head start compared to the Z85 with a 1" lowered stance, larger wheels and color-matched bumpers and grille. However, you are limited to red, black, white, yellow, pace blue, superior blue (depending on the model year for the blues).

The other deciding factor is how do you want the truck to handle. Do you want it to corner well? If yes, then the ZQ8 already offers front and rear sway bars. If you want even better cornering, then a Z85 can be upgraded with better sway bars front and rear. You can only swap the front sway bar on a ZQ8 because the stock mounting tabs for the rear sway bar are in the way of any of the aftermarket sway bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts