Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nice Cold Air Inductions CAI on my Camaro and I loved it, MPG went up and I could feel a little extra pep, but so far they don't make one for the Colorado. I'm seeing a couple of brands out there and they are all selling for $300 which seems a bit much. Any great deals out there?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I had a nice Cold Air Inductions CAI on my Camaro and I loved it, MPG went up and I could feel a little extra pep, but so far they don't make one for the Colorado. I'm seeing a couple of brands out there and they are all selling for $300 which seems a bit much. Any great deals out there?

Check out Volant, S&B, AFE, K&N. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm think there are others as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
GM Performance just release a new air filter box and filter in the last few days.

AFE has 2 versions that will be available in mid-September 2017. That's in a week or so from now.

Reactions: Steven Burdick

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have had 2.

KNN 63 series (soon for sale)

Loud (but I didnt mind it but I can see how others find it harsh).

Felt more low end power (could tell when i switched to the SB Filters CAI which made me feel the difference)

Slight drone when climbing hills, mountains when the truck is in the high RPMs

SB Filters CAI:

Switched only because I wanted to try something new.

Closed box design with additional optional (included) scoop to draw air from holes under the coolant tank.

quieter than the KNN, but still louder than stock on acceleration.

Feels less torque than the KNN, but also feels more "refined". Slightly better MPGs than KNN but could be because I dont stomp on it as hard since it is quieter.

Looks more finished since they provide a replacement engine cover for the top of the engine.

Never had any error codes with either one. Was happy with the KNN, like i said earlier only switched out of curiosity.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tryed several,
The one I kept was the afe power air box.
Happiest with it and the performance over the KN and Volant.
Check it out on line .

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have had 2.

KNN 63 series (soon for sale)

Loud (but I didnt mind it but I can see how others find it harsh).

Felt more low end power (could tell when i switched to the SB Filters CAI which made me feel the difference)

Slight drone when climbing hills, mountains when the truck is in the high RPMs

SB Filters CAI:

Switched only because I wanted to try something new.

Closed box design with additional optional (included) scoop to draw air from holes under the coolant tank.

quieter than the KNN, but still louder than stock on acceleration.

Feels less torque than the KNN, but also feels more "refined". Slightly better MPGs than KNN but could be because I dont stomp on it as hard since it is quieter.

Looks more finished since they provide a replacement engine cover for the top of the engine.

Never had any error codes with either one. Was happy with the KNN, like i said earlier only switched out of curiosity.
Trying to decide between the S&B and AFE Momentum...

·
Registered
209 Posts
It appears the stock intake draws air from the fenderwell. Has anyone checked to see if there is a network of plastic tubes in the fender that might restrict airflow? If so, can these be removed to flow more air? Also, has anyone considered modifying the stock airbox to flow more air? The "deckplate" mod is common on the Toyota forums and you basically create a hole in the airbox (below the filter) in order to draw more air. The construction allows you to plug the hole for off road or high water situations. There is a guy on the Toyota forums that did dyno runs comparing the factory airbox mods to open cone intakes and CIAs and found that modifying the factory setup produced more power. I'm going to check this out this weekend, but just curious if anyone has looked at this option.
Oh, if anyone has installed a CAI and is willing to part with their stock airbox, shoot me a PM. I would be interested in having a spare so I can check some different things out.
Thanks!
joel

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Trying to decide between the S&B and AFE Momentum...
Not sure if the AFE is worth the $200 premium over the S&B but thats just my opinion. The AFE is 499 right?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought my afe power air box thru Auto Anything with there frequent on line coupons for 390 delivered.
Also any air box that uses the stock intake piping to Throttle body is going to still have the sharp 90 degree and small inner piping diameter onto TB which is a main hideronous.. The Volant also has a similar problem, I did not notice any performance difference with that set up also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.