Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Cheverolet Colorado WT with 105,000 miles and the transmission is hard shifting into second gear. I have had the trucked serviced and I have been told it will cost $7,500.00 at the dealer service center for a new transmission. I have been informed and my research indicates that the 2016 Colorado transmission should not be replaced with a rebuilt because the year is known for having transmission issues. So, where can I buy a NEW transmission. I am not going to spend $7,500 plus at the dealership when they probably damaged my transmission by not changing filter at 45k miles. I am going to hire a retired Chevrolet Dealer Service mechanic to install for much less. I am in San Diego, California.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It use to be that a rebuilt transmission had better/updated parts then an OEM transmission, is that not true any more?

I know when my Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny went out at 85,000 miles , which was pretty common, I had it rebuilt at local tranny place and it was still going strong at 250,000 when I sold the Jeep

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
The Remanufactured transmissions should have upgrades that correct known problematic issues, if there were any.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
I have a 2016 Cheverolet Colorado WT with 105,000 miles and the transmission is hard shifting into second gear. I have had the trucked serviced and I have been told it will cost $7,500.00 at the dealer service center for a new transmission. I have been informed and my research indicates that the 2016 Colorado transmission should not be replaced with a rebuilt because the year is known for having transmission issues. So, where can I buy a NEW transmission. I am not going to spend $7,500 plus at the dealership when they probably damaged my transmission by not changing filter at 45k miles. I am going to hire a retired Chevrolet Dealer Service mechanic to install for much less. I am in San Diego, California.
Look into a unit from GM. It will have any updates and come with a 3/36 warranty. (at least they used to)
They were called CERTA and probably still are.
The other option would be have a trans shop rebuild yours.

Reactions: Steven92107

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anything the 6 speed transmission of your year is known to be reliable. It’s the 8 speeds of the later years that have issues. I would check out sotos transmissions off palm ave and see what they can do for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for info. However, I am wondering why you state 2016 is known to be reliable. My truck is well maintained and my research has indicated 2016 has the most transmission problems.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
If you buy one from like GM Parts Direct, there is a good possibility that it may be Remanufactured and not New.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Thanks for info. However, I am wondering why you state 2016 is known to be reliable. My truck is well maintained and my research has indicated 2016 has the most transmission problems.
I am wondering if you may be having problems with your 2016 6 speed because of the WT and the 4:10 rear gears. I cannot say that I have really read much about 6 speed problems on the 2016 gas trucks.

Reactions: Gerry Thornhough

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am wondering if you may be having problems with your 2016 6 speed because of the WT and the 4:10 rear gears. I cannot say that I have really read much about 6 speed problems on the 2016 gas trucks.
I dont know the reason but am really disappointed having spent so much money to purchase and maintain my Colorado. Im fixing it and selling it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There's a easy fix for the hard 1-2 shift on the 6 speeds. It involves dropping the valve body. I believe Transco makes the kit, you'll need to Google it.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There's a easy fix for the hard 1-2 shift on the 6 speeds. It involves dropping the valve body. I believe Transco makes the kit, you'll need to Google it.
Yep, a good tranny shop will know, but OP seems to want to buy a NEW GM transmission, that will probably still have the hard 1-2 shift

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Sonnax probably makes a kit also.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Yep, a good tranny shop will know, but OP seems to want to buy a NEW GM transmission, that will probably still have the hard 1-2 shift
Yes, the one he wants to replace was a New one and had oroblems.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
A transmission shop can rebuild yours much less expense, especially if you are just doing it to get rid of the truck. Dealer labor is too high for that type of job.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Have you ever thought about having your Certified GM Mechanic replace your valve body with an upgraded unit, like this? Would probably fix your harsh shift a lot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts