Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1041 - 1060 of 1075 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hello guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to tire and suspension stuff. Instead of creating a whole new thread (since I can't really find some of my answers with the search function) so I'll dump my idiocy here. (Tire questions are at the end)

I don't do crazy off roading but I spend a serious amount of time on forest service roads from good condition to bad (but not outright jeep trail terrible).

1. I'm going to level my Colorado 2 inches up front (spacers). Everywhere I read in reviews it's split down the middle some people say the spacers "Improve ride quality" while others say it takes a little hit in ride quality but not much. So which is it? I really like how smooth the suspension is at the moment and don't want to ruin it too badly.

2. If it does have a significant hit to ride quality is there a front level / suspension swap that levels it without spacers and improves suspension travel? I don't want a lift I just want a level at stock height.

3. How important is getting the offset right for rims? The OEM site says collie offset is 33 on random google tire rim shopping (i have no idea where the best online store is) all the rims that are 33 offset don't look too good IMO. How imperative is it to have the correct offset?

My idea is 2inch front level and putting on 265/70/R17 (basically 1 inch taller than the stock for my WT) just to gain an tiny itty bitty bit of clearance but not affect stock ride too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
1. I noticed no difference in ride quality installing a spacer lift. As long as it's not a substantial lift and installs above the coilover (i.e. not inside against the spring which adjusts preload), you should hardly notice a difference if at all.
2. If you don't want to do a spacer lift, your can install something like fox 2.0 coilovers up front.
3. All wheel and tire specs work together. Most people go to a more aggressive offset in aftermarket wheels to give the truck a better "stance". You should be fine to go anywhere from 0-33 on the offset and be fine with a 265/70/17. If you do go with a 0 offset, you mayyyy have to do some very minor trimming in the wheel well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hello guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to tire and suspension stuff. Instead of creating a whole new thread (since I can't really find some of my answers with the search function) so I'll dump my idiocy here. (Tire questions are at the end)

I don't do crazy off roading but I spend a serious amount of time on forest service roads from good condition to bad (but not outright jeep trail terrible).

1. I'm going to level my Colorado 2 inches up front (spacers). Everywhere I read in reviews it's split down the middle some people say the spacers "Improve ride quality" while others say it takes a little hit in ride quality but not much. So which is it? I really like how smooth the suspension is at the moment and don't want to ruin it too badly.

2. If it does have a significant hit to ride quality is there a front level / suspension swap that levels it without spacers and improves suspension travel? I don't want a lift I just want a level at stock height.

3. How important is getting the offset right for rims? The OEM site says collie offset is 33 on random google tire rim shopping (i have no idea where the best online store is) all the rims that are 33 offset don't look too good IMO. How imperative is it to have the correct offset?

My idea is 2inch front level and putting on 265/70/R17 (basically 1 inch taller than the stock for my WT) just to gain an tiny itty bitty bit of clearance but not affect stock ride too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
What @DenCoColorado said.

Ride won't be noticeably affected with a spacer-on-top level. Get any rim you like in our 6x120 bolt pattern. If you go with a much larger tire, the decreased offset past around +12-18 will require a little more trimming to fit. Make sure you get an alignment after the level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts

Upgraded to 265/70/R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on the 2" RC leveling kit with the OEM Z71 wheels. A very small amount of rub at full lock, but it doesn't really bother me aside from the slightly embarrassing noise. Really digging the more aggressive look these tires give.

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
View attachment 381995

Upgraded to 265/70/R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on the 2" RC leveling kit with the OEM Z71 wheels. A very small amount of rub at full lock, but it doesn't really bother me aside from the slightly embarrassing noise. Really digging the more aggressive look these tires give.
Totally worth the tiny bit of rub. :devilish:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed today. P265/70/R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3. Got 49,500 out of the OEM Goodyears, but with winter coming it was time to upgrade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Installed today. P265/70/R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3. Got 49,500 out of the OEM Goodyears, but with winter coming it was time to upgrade.
The white letters out look great on a red truck. I'm gonna do this soon, but I'm still not sure which tires to go with. I had Firestone Destination ATs on the last truck and really liked them in snow and rain. And, they were great on the highway too. Those Bridgestones look great. These Goodyears are starting to really suck in the rain and I have about 27,000 miles so far. I'm sure they aren't going to be that good in snow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The white letters out look great on a red truck. I'm gonna do this soon, but I'm still not sure which tires to go with. I had Firestone Destination ATs on the last truck and really liked them in snow and rain. And, they were great on the highway too. Those Bridgestones look great. These Goodyears are starting to really suck in the rain and I have about 27,000 miles so far. I'm sure they aren't going to be that good in snow.
Thanks! I noticed toward the end of last winter that snow was starting to get dicey, but with it being about February at that point I rode it out. Throughout this summer, if there was ever any hard rain I would switch from 2WD to Auto just to gain a little more traction. It did work, but will be nice to not need to anymore.

I was back and forth on whether I wanted the white letters, but am really pleased with the final look. Had a family member that previously had an older version of the Duelers on their Silverado and had great luck with them.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Thanks! I noticed toward the end of last winter that snow was starting to get dicey, but with it being about February at that point I rode it out. Throughout this summer, if there was ever any hard rain I would switch from 2WD to Auto just to gain a little more traction. It did work, but will be nice to not need to anymore.

I was back and forth on whether I wanted the white letters, but am really pleased with the final look. Had a family member that previously had an older version of the Duelers on their Silverado and had great luck with them.
Mine is a 2016 Colorado Z71, so it doesn't have AWD. I just take it easy around town in the rain right now, but new tires are coming soon. White letters out look great on red trucks! Here's my old one. Those were great tires for 50,000 miles and not too loud or aggressive on long road trips. I was going to get B F Goodrich ATs and I never even thought about Firestones until my tire guy suggested them. He said on the long trips you take up and down the east coast, the Firestones would be better and not so aggressive, but still have great traction in snow. He was right. Firestones used to scare me after the Ford fiasco years ago. Not anymore, but I do like your new tires too. I don't really need an offroad tire. Just something that is great in the winter snow and ice and the highway.
truck new tires1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
That’s how I’ve been for months seeing yours! Glad I can return the favor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe I'll get to see the setup in person next year. Are you going to Overland Expo in Arizona next year?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe I'll get to see the setup in person next year. Are you going to Overland Expo in Arizona next year?
Man I wish, that’s not in the cards at the moment but anytime you’re rolling through Fresno we should meet up (or if I head up your way) lot of cool places near shaver lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1041 - 1060 of 1075 Posts