Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, add another thing to the list of things that has broke on my truck. This time it's my right front wheel bearing. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem - don't remember seeing a thread on it anyway. Off to the shop since I've been out of warranty for a month. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What was your tire size before you went to 31's? Did you change wheels? Extra unsprung weight like big tires (especially if wheel offset is wrong) can be tough on wheel bearings. I put big tires and wheels on a '65 Corvette I had. I had to cut out wheel wells to fit them. Every 6 mos. I needed new wheel bearings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were the stockers- 265/75/15 and I just upgraded to 31's, but the tires are 6 ply and I think they weigh a little more than the generals, just by picking them up. I have no idea how it went out already, but it is def. out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and I kept the stock rims too.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I've had 33x12.5 on the stock wheels with no problems after 50k miles. Probably not related.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I had to replace the driver's side front when I went for my road trip down to Florida. I got to Detroit and a tire shop told me they couldn't align because of a bad bearing. I drove to Columbus Ohio after that and spent a day and a half tearing my driver's side apart to get the old bearing out. It was NOT a fun job to do by hand. I would say though that what killed my bearing was mud and grit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are not alone I just had my drivers side go out at less than 4,000 miles. Here is what GM posted as to what was done: BEARING AND HUB ASSEMBLY, FRONT WHEEL - LEFT – REPLACE. The dealer did not explain why it went out, they just replaced it after my ABS light started coming on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading back I put RIGHT front - I meant my DRIVER'S side bearing. I had my Jeep on my mind-had to replace right front on it, lol. 30,000 miles on my Coly but out of warranty so I had to replace it. BDK how much was it to replace urs or did they put it on the sheet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately I do not know how much, it was covered by GM. Never saw any invoice from the dealer, the reference above is from the owners link.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
All I know is the hub was 400 from a dealer in Ohio :s

·
Registered
805 Posts
do you guys know where i can get a 2004 4x4 3.5 front wheel bearing for a low price

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
FYI, gmpartsdirect lists the front hub/bearing assembly for about $175. Heard they take forever to ship though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I ordered a part for my wifes car from gmpartdirect.com on June 18 and I will get it on June 27. It was a special order part though - the intermediate steering shaft for a 2002 Cavalier. I just today ordered the purge valve and solenoid for my truck - let's see how long that takes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
trixr4kidz623 said:
That's sweet. How did the install go?

man it was too easy. did the whole swap in 1.5 hours and also found out it was the hub that was messed which threw the ABS FAULT

·
Registered
776 Posts
my right front wheel bearing went out about a month ago, and now my left one just went out on friday... i do have bigger tires and a lift on my colorado, is that what is causing them to go out? is there like heavy duty ones i can get that will stop them from going out or what can i do to prevent this?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
How do you expect us to know without telling us your mileage or driving habits? :roll:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts