Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for reading this. I have a 2008 2.9L 5-speed that has been throwing codes left and right recently, stalling at idle, and has been giving me an intermittent oil light. I've replaced numerous sensors, etc, and I'm now at the point of removing the cover to replace the oil pump and check the timing. I have most of what I need stripped off the engine, but I'm stuck because the oil pan is stuck. When I tried to put screws in the recommended holes to use as jacks to remove the pan, the screws would not hold in place to pop the pan off.

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Are there other suggestions on how to get the pan off? I'm too paranoid at the moment to take a prybar to the pan out of a fear of doing any damage, but if that's what it takes then okay.

Thanks for any and all advice.

· Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Thanks in advance for reading this. I have a 2008 2.9L 5-speed that has been throwing codes left and right recently, stalling at idle, and has been giving me an intermittent oil light. I've replaced numerous sensors, etc, and I'm now at the point of removing the cover to replace the oil pump and check the timing. I have most of what I need stripped off the engine, but I'm stuck because the oil pan is stuck. When I tried to put screws in the recommended holes to use as jacks to remove the pan, the screws would not hold in place to pop the pan off.

View attachment 434993

Are there other suggestions on how to get the pan off? I'm too paranoid at the moment to take a prybar to the pan out of a fear of doing any damage, but if that's what it takes then okay.

Thanks for any and all advice.
I'm not trying to be insulting, just starting at the easiest thing to fix: Are the bolts the correct size ? Have you confirmed with a thread checker ?

GM loves to mix metric and standard and both have at least 2 different thread pitches/size. Or maybe all car makers do and I've only noticed it with GM vehicles

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries ARCowboy. The book says use the screws that hold the pan in place. There are only two sized screws used. One was too small and didn't grab onto the metal pan. The other grabbed, but then tore the threads off the pan. So now neither screw works. Like I said before, I'd like to find an elegant way to pry the old pan off, but if I have to go caveman and beat it into submission I will.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Partially answering my own question, I'm stupid!
The reason the pan would not come off is because I didn't notice the two bolts hidden behind the rubber stopper next to the transmission. That freed up the oil pan so I could disconnect it from the block. But I'm still having trouble removing the pan from the engine compartment.

EDIT: I re-read the Haynes guide and realized there's a lot of stuff I have to remove to be able to remove the oil pan completely. That's for my next day off.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By chance did you clean your throttle body. Low idle will cause low oil pressure and stalling
Hi. Yes, I did squirt it a couple of times, but while it as still on the engine. I was considering whether to replace it regardless, like I did with so many other sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts