Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an odd event the other day on a remote start where the idle was loping a couple hundred RPM, and then again yesterday where the truck stalled in park, so I pulled the dipstick to see if the oil smelled like diesel in case a injector was sticking. Found this, instead.

Thought it was coolant/oil mix at first, but it behaved more like mud.

End of the dipstick had particulates, that looked like metal but crumbled like dirt. Oil smelled like diesel exhaust, but not fresh fuel.

Here's the rub. I have not touched the oil, ever. One of the packages they were offering was a lifetime oil change for $900, and after some back of the envelope calc on Dexos 2 cost and availability, as well as length of ownership, I took it and signed before they realized it was a diesel. Dealers have since changed the oil 4 times in 30K.

So I have 6 quarts of Dexos 2 and a Wix (goddamit, not the AC Delco I ordered, O'Reilly) filter, and could change the oil and drive the truck over to the dealer on Monday. There are no codes, engine sounds perfectly normal. Aside from the stall, which may be related to Torque, there's nothing making me think the truck is in imminent danger.

However. If this does become a warranty thing, I don't want to have touched the oil or filter, beyond cleaning the dipstick, and would have the truck towed.

Either way, I'm bagging and tagging the wiped off material, and if I change the filter, that too. I don't know how you'd document this in the service records, but I intend to find out. Pictures will be in the file somehow, along with finding out who the f_ck had their dickbeaters on my truck for the last oil change.

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Wow! I've been doing my own maintenance for well over 50 years and never seen anything like that - but perhaps the fact I do my own is why. As you said, I'd save all the evidence, including some of the oil, and change it out. And although costly, I'd drive the truck for a few hundred miles and change the oil/filter out again. I would also send a sample of the oil out for analysis. I would also keep a sample of the new oil after the few hundred mile change, and depending on what the first analysis report said, may send the second sample in for testing to see if normal reading were obtained. After doing this, and again, depending on the results, I'd be at the dealership demanding not only documentation of the event (and a copy of your service records if you didn't happen to keep them) but also a refund of the money. Keep us posted on this!

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Seems like it might be due to short trips and not enough time for the engine to get hot enough to burn off condensation or blow by. The orange color is kinda freaky though. Like is it Dexcool or is it rust?

You can find more by doing a Google search for orange gunk on dipstick.

Our '17 Honda CRV had a TSB out for water accumulation in the crankcase which would cause an oil overfill condition. This only occured in CRVs that are only driven short distances in colder climates where the engine didn't have time to burn off condensation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How far is the dealer?
If it were me. I would visit on Monday morning and ask them how to proceed. Showing pictures etc. I would push to have it towed in. I wouldn't touch the oil on the truck except for getting some oil as a sample. I would ask them for the oil filter as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
How far is the dealer?
If it were me. I would visit on Monday morning and ask them how to proceed. Showing pictures etc. I would push to have it towed in. I wouldn't touch the oil on the truck except for getting some oil as a sample. I would ask them for the oil filter as well.
Agreed. I wouldn't touch it otherwise thay could use that against you should it turn out to be a head gasket leak or something else expensive to repair.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not to imply that doesn't look bad but what does the end that should have been submerged in oil look like? This appears to be a photo of somewhere in the middle of the dipstick. I actually have seen something like this before. It was a case where the dipstick was never removed during maintenance. The owner just drained 5 qts, refilled 5 qts, never bothered to check , or wipe, the dipstick. Moisture and oil vapor built up on the dipstick from the oil line up creating a rusty sludgy substance like you have. The actual oil, and the dipstick where it was submerged, looked fine.

Now if the oil itself looks like that, then I'd say you have a moisture (probably coolant) problem with your oil.

Just an anecdote from my personal experience, no expertise stated or implied.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Wait....... $900 for lifetime oil changes????? My kids owe me a small fortune because Ive been doing theirs all this time for free !!!!

And yea, as a lifetime mechanic, I can't say Ive ever seen that....and I thought Ive seen everything. Good luck and please get back to us as to what they tell you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've never seen that before. I know I live up here somewhat near you and I always get my oil and filter from AK Sales (cheapest I've found who has it all in stock in AK).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would put it on a flatbed, take it to the dealer, and not touch anything at all, lest they claim you tampered with it.

That doesn't look like moisture to me...I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Wait....... $900 for lifetime oil changes????? My kids owe me a small fortune because Ive been doing theirs all this time for free !!!
My dealer included that for free, and I still don't take them up on it. I can't imagine paying $900 in advance for oil changes.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Seems like it might be due to short trips and not enough time for the engine to get hot enough to burn off condensation or blow by. The orange color is kinda freaky though. Like is it Dexcool or is it rust?
I'm not sure those links prove what you say, but my point is I've always been a bit bothered by the oil temps on the baby Duramax. I'd like to see it get above 212 since that is a key temperature for water, but it will only do that in rather extreme conditions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts