Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked at a number of vehicles before I decided on the Colorado. The Colorado or Canyon was always my top choice but I shopped around what kind of deals were available.

Here are the vehicles I considered and the reason I didn't want them:

Nissan Frontier, tiny rear seat area.
Nissan Titan, poor gas mileage.
Toyota Forerunner, poor gas mileage and overpriced.
Honda Ridgeline, limited off road capability.
Ford Ranger, overpriced.

Here are the vehicles that were still in the running when I bought:

Used Colorado or Canyon, didn't have the time to shop the decent ones (was working out of town at the time).
Used Chevy or GMC 1500 full size, never found one I couldn't do without.
New Ram 1500, limited dealer selection.
New Toyota Tacoma, limited dealer selection.

When I saw a dealer had a new Colorado close to what I wanted in the color I wanted it was game over. If I had found the right deal elsewhere I might be driving something different.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this was available I would have given it a hard look: Nikola Badger

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Almost bought a Ram 2500 Cummins but knew it was way beyond my needs. I have to have an inline diesel so my choices are limited. 4.5 years later, my Canyon SLT is still the right choice.

Reactions: Skidog

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
In early 2014, when I looked for a vehicle to replace my Wrangler, I couldn't find one that punched most of the items on my bucket list. The closest might have been a Taco, but they didn't want to sell me a truck. Wife took one look at a Frontier and said no way. I really wanted a 4 door, S-10 Blazer SUV with maybe 5K tow capacity and bluetooth. The closest I could get to what I wanted was up in the Tahoe level of vehicles, overkill for my needs. The Twins met my bucket list better than anything else. If there was not a Canyon/Colorado to pick, in 2020, I might be looking at a Ranger. In 2021, I might have looked at a Bronco.

Now, having come to love my tonneau cover and versatility of a bed I can get dirty, the thought of a SUV solution to my needs is not as strong.

Like @404 Not Found , I think my Canyon is the right vehicle for me. All I have read about the Ranger doesn't get me excited. If someone totaled my truck this afternoon, I would be shopping for a new Twin I believe.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
The other truck I was considering at the time was a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but passed due to oil cooler problems and the crappy BW 44-44 transfer case that doesn't properly, fully lock in part-time 4WD modes which can lead to fluid overheating problems and getting stuck because the front axle isn't fully locked. I've owned Rams with the Cummins before but those are just too much truck for what I need/want. My Canyon checked all the boxes. Still the only mid-size truck that does.

Reactions: Wowcars and Skidog

·
Registered
76 Posts
In 2018 I custom ordered a 2019 Ram Rebel. Got it exactly the way I wanted it. Great truck! But then, I took a promotion at work, moved out of Montana, and moved in to Baltimore. Needless to say, this area isn't full-size-friendly. I also no longer needed the off road capability. So back in March I started looking around on a whim, and the gm of the Chevy dealership I was at made me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade away my Ram. Never looked back, and I'm way happier with my Colorado👍

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Duramax
48 Posts
Probably another Tahoe, I have been driving full size Chevys since the mid 70s.....till now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In 2018 I custom ordered a 2019 Ram Rebel. Got it exactly the way I wanted it. Great truck! But then, I took a promotion at work, moved out of Montana, and moved in to Baltimore. Needless to say, this area isn't full-size-friendly. I also no longer needed the off road capability. So back in March I started looking around on a whim, and the gm of the Chevy dealership I was at made me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade away my Ram. Never looked back, and I'm way happier with my Colorado👍
Montana to Baltimore? Talk about culture shock. What part of Montana? I lived in Wolf Creek and Helena for a bit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In early 2014, when I looked for a vehicle to replace my Wrangler, I couldn't find one that punched most of the items on my bucket list. The closest might have been a Taco, but they didn't want to sell me a truck. Wife took one look at a Frontier and said no way. I really wanted a 4 door, S-10 Blazer SUV with maybe 5K tow capacity and bluetooth. The closest I could get to what I wanted was up in the Tahoe level of vehicles, overkill for my needs. The Twins met my bucket list better than anything else. If there was not a Canyon/Colorado to pick, in 2020, I might be looking at a Ranger. In 2021, I might have looked at a Bronco.

Now, having come to love my tonneau cover and versatility of a bed I can get dirty, the thought of a SUV solution to my needs is not as strong.

Like @404 Not Found , I think my Canyon is the right vehicle for me. All I have read about the Ranger doesn't get me excited. If someone totaled my truck this afternoon, I would be shopping for a new Twin I believe.
After several Blazers I bought a used Avalanche which was as close to perfect for my needs. After the Avalanche another truck made more sense than an SUV.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
285 Posts
Probably a Double Cab Silverado LTZ Plus or equivalently equipped Sierra 1500. They just got too damn large though. No other mid-sizes appeal to me at all.
Currently in a '16 Canyon SLT CCSB Duramax. Waiting for '21 Colorado ZR2 ECLB w/ Bose to come around here, nothing yet tho.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
196 Posts
I was looking for a full size, wanted a Tundra (but $$) or a Dodge Eco-Diesel but I just couldn't find what I was looking for in my price range. A buddy of mine on here has a Diesel ZR2 and I really liked it, so that's what I set out looking for but again found they were just a bit outside my price range. Then an ad popped up for a local dealer with a Trail Runner package Z71 and I realized I could get the most important parts of the ZR2 minus the front locker for a lot less. Then COVID financing showed up and I was sold, literally.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Montana to Baltimore? Talk about culture shock. What part of Montana? I lived in Wolf Creek and Helena for a bit.
I was in Glasgow. Really cool place, amazing hunting and fishing, but literally in the middle of nowhere. 4 1/2 hours to either Billings, Regina, or Minot, or Bismark.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Would have traded my 2004 Ram 2500 4x4 crewcab Cummins for a new Ram 2500 4x4 crewcab Cummins this January. But just could not justify that much cost and truck any more. My nephew has a 2019 ZR2 that I drove and liked, so that aimed me at a mid sized Colorado. One Saturday morning after having looked at most of the dealer inventory locally, went to the dealer I wanted. Got there about 9am, drove the two trucks I had identified in my search. Made deal by 11am. Took my truck home to unload, grab some cash, and drove out with the Colorado around 3pm.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I bought a new 1973 Datusn pickup and my dad would not let me park it in the driveway as he lost his brother fighting the Japanese in WW II. So those makes of vehicles are out of the question as well as German cars where my dad fought in WW II.
I picked up a used 2011 Canyon while waiting for Ford, Chevy or Ram to come out with something new. I waited until gm came out with the ZR2 cause it had awd, if it did not have awd I would not have bought it. Now I am waiting to see what the new Ram mid-size will be like, hopefully it will not resemble the Gladiator as it will be built along side it.
If I wanted a full size it would probably be the Ram Rebel

I really liked my 2011 Canyon, lifted with 33's

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a new 1973 Datusn pickup and my dad would not let me park it in the driveway as he lost his brother fighting the Japanese in WW II. So those makes of vehicles are out of the question as well as German cars where my dad fought in WW II.
I picked up a used 2011 Canyon while waiting for Ford, Chevy or Ram to come out with something new. I waited until gm came out with the ZR2 cause it had awd, if it did not have awd I would not have bought it. Now I am waiting to see what the new Ram mid-size will be like, hopefully it will not resemble the Gladiator as it will be built along side it.
If I wanted a full size it would probably be the Ram Rebel
I really like the Ram Rebel and the Ram Warlock. If the dealers near me had any it would have been a hard choice between the Ram and the Colorado.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If not for the Canyon diesel, I would have bought another 6.6L Duramax.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts