Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never asked a dealer to order a vehicle to my specifications. Does anyone have any insight on what to expect when making the request? Do they seemed turned off by that? What do they require for deposit? Is it refundable if you back out? Is it a matter of building the truck on the Chevy website how you want it then bringing it in on paper?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Pretty simple...

all of the above!

My experience was very informal. included a deposit (2k) and a build sheet as a receipt

I'd suggest doing your homework prior to contacting the dealer and know what you want (options included) and what the msrp is.

From there you can negotiate just as you would during any purchase

some dealers won't quote the final price until they see the invoice which will be after the vehicle is built (my case)

So I negotiated a deal prior to seeing the invoice based on how much off the msrp the dealer would discount. Get it in writing!

The deposit, usually 2-5k, should be refundable should you decide to cancel but confirm with your dealer!

And..... shop around!!! Dealer procedures may vary

good luck!

Reactions: Noctilum

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pretty much the same here, figure all the options you want ahead of time. I put 2 grand down and it was built and here in less than 3 weeks. It is easy to do and I got to see it on the portal when it went into the system at the dealership.
It becomes "your truck" and nobody else will drive it.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Not a tough thing to do.

The only real negatives are these.

One the time to get the vehicle. Figure 4 weeks or more depending on production and what model you are buying or time of year. Some times even a option can hold you up if there is an odd supply issue.

Two the issue of dealing on price on a vehicle on the lot can be better at times if it one the want or need to move. If it is hitting 90 days it will hit the floor plan and cost them money so they can be motivated to deal.

The first two are not damaging but three can be an issue. You may order your truck now but you only qualify for incentives and extra Agamemnon money at the time of delivery. This could cost you a couple thousand dollars if you are looking to get your best deal and want to use all options.

Case in point GM usually adds money to their Agamemnon money at the first of the year. It expires in March and if your truck comes after March First you lose the added money.

None of these are deal killers but things to consider.

The dealer trade also can prove of great value to take advantage of current offers. Generally a truck just like you want can be found and brought in and save time and money I’d there are good offers out.

You can search on the GM sites by zip, auto trader or cars.com to check inventories to know what is out there. At times you can even get a better deal on a better truck.

One trade I did netted me a better audio and other added options and it did not change the already good price we agreed on. I got the truck $7,000 off sticker. It was a loaded Sonoma

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ordering is super easy just like ordering a pizza. Just make sure that after the dealer gets confirmation from GM, you check the actual paper work that GM sends to the dealer. I didn't until it was too late and they built my truck with the wrong interior. I love special orders though. The truck is your personal design, no test drive mileage, people beating your truck during the crucial break in period. No lot rot and the wait and delivery is exciting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have never asked a dealer to order a vehicle to my specifications. Does anyone have any insight on what to expect when making the request? Do they seemed turned off by that? What do they require for deposit? Is it refundable if you back out? Is it a matter of building the truck on the Chevy website how you want it then bringing it in on paper?

Thanks for any advice!
My special-order Canyon should be here sometime this coming week. It will be the fourth vehicle that has been special ordered in this household.

If a dealer is turned off by a special order, then maybe you want to find a different dealer. Almost all of them will try to steer you to something which is already on the lot (because it benefits them). If you decline, then they will almost always see if they can do a dealer trade for you. Again, that is normal because it benefits them. Let them do it, just to satisfy their own minds, and, hey, they might find something you want. It does not hurt to look.

After they look, if you are not satisfied with what they found, tell them that you want a special order. If they balk at that, walk out and find a new dealership.

Assuming they are ready to make a deal and order it for you, then it is time to negotiate with them. Get everything in writing. Also, get in writing what the rules are for if you get your deposit back or not. Is your deposit refundable? Well, it depends on the laws of the state in which you live (it is always fully refundable in California unless the dealer can show harm - which they can't because they can always just sell the vehicle to someone else). Other states will have other laws. However, as I said, the big point is to get the refund rules in writing. I have specified my own refund rules, and then I let them choose to accept the rules or not. If they do, we put it in writing. I have never had anyone balk at my refund rules.

How much is the deposit? Again, this is usually negotiable. I have had as little as $0 (no deposit required) to $1000. My Canyon on order right now has a $500 deposit. The refund rules I wrote for the Canyon are as follows:

1) Subject to the following conditions in this section 1), I commit myself to purchasing the GMC Canyon on order <print order number here> for $<agreed price> (which already includes the dealer admin/documentation fee and 3% NC Highway Use Tax), minus whatever rebates and incentives that are available at the time of delivery, plus the cost for plates (to be determined by the weight of the vehicle), plus title, plus $1 for temp tags. The $500 deposit which I paid today will be applied toward the above cost to purchase the truck, if all the following conditions are met. If any of the following conditions are not met, then the $500 deposit will be refunded to me. The required conditions here in section 1) are:
1a) I find that the truck has no major defects after I have inspected it. All minor defects, if there are any, will be repaired to my satisfaction, with us working together as a team to get GM to cover the cost of remedying the defects for us.
1b) After the above step has been completed satisfactorily, I am permitted to do a test drive. I must find the results of my test drive to be satisfactory.
1c) The truck has not been smoked in.
1d) Neither my wife nor I have been laid off from work. Also, this is necessary so I can still have access to the GM Supplier program.

The above are requirements. The below items are preferences of which I would like to make you aware. I ask that you please help me on the items below when you can.

Then I go on to list my nice-to-haves (printouts from GM OrderWorkbench, not putting any dealer stickers on the paint, what to do with the build sheets, what type of fuel to put in for the PDI, et cetera).

Yes, you can build your vehicle at the Chevrolet or GMC website, and take a printout in with you. That is a good way to go about it. An even better way is to use https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/ to really learn about what options, and combinations of options, are available. There are often errors on the Chevrolet or GMC websites which are not present in the https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/ website. The https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/ will tell you REALLY what a dealer will be able to order. For example, KA1 is available for the dealer to order on a 4LE. You will never find that on the GMC.com website, because the GMC.com website is in error.

Oh, and the whole process can be super fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for your info and advice!

I wish it wasn't so hard to find a crew cab long box in my area, and if I manage to stumble on one it's a WT trim.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You are getting all the right advice from these posts. I echo the DO YOUR HOMEWORK part and the SHOP AROUND part. In my case, I wanted the ZR2 and most dealers would not even budge off the MSRP. Once I figured out that a ZR2 would cost me the same weather I took one off their lot, or weather I ordered it to MY specs, I put in the special order. NO DEPOSIT at my dealer in Ohio. Salesman says he will have no problem selling it if I choose NOT to buy it once it arrives. Waiting for delivery is more than exciting, It's KILLING me. The dealer I went with came off of the MSRP, below Invoice price, down to Supplier price. This saved me $2,131.00 good luck finding a better deal on a ZR2. You can get a base Colorado for more Off right now during year end close outs, I'm sure. Maybe even up to 5 grand on loaded models. Your work truck is less expensive, so expect less off. The other big variable not mentioned yet is Finance Rate. Do your homework here too, and know what rate you can get at your local credit union. Tell them Toyota has 0% and maybe you get out with 1.9% or 2.9% and realize that 3% on a $40,000 vehicle is twelve hundred bucks. Biggest reason I wanted to special order is color: I love the silver and optioned with the black bow tie emblems, security wheel lugs, and all weather floor mats. Not many options to keep the price down. Bottom line, as long as you do not HAVE to buy it today, keep asking, keep negotiating, so that you do not regret it later.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Thank you all so much for your info and advice!

I wish it wasn't so hard to find a crew cab long box in my area, and if I manage to stumble on one it's a WT trim.
Might note I ran across a number of crew long beds that many dealers were willing to deal on as the don’t move fast.

Also while there is nothing wrong with ordering the many reasons give can be miss leading in doing so.

It is not like the old days were you can not do a search easily, the new trucks are not so fragile that if someone gives it WOT that you will have warranty issues.

Option packages are pretty uniform so you will not see a wide range of options. Often you will get more than you bargain for on a lot truck for the same money.

Sure you get the feeling of satisfaction and the anticipation of a truck coming but generally what you want is out there and it will not have lot rot.

The main key is what you can get the best deal on. The biggest thing is offers as you order you just have to be lucky it comes in when there is a offer on if not you do not get it.

In my cases I could have ordered and got the Greneral discount or I could take the truck I had watched for a couple months and get a better deal before it entered the floor plan financing for the dealer that cuts their profits.

That is how I got a Nearly $45k Denali for $39k

I always wanted to order but my best savings have come from in stock or dealer trades.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ordering has a lot of advantages.

1) You get EXACTLY what you want, which for me was huge, since I wanted the blue with black interior and tow options.

2) You get more time to secure independent financing. I went with Lightstream, and got an Un-secured loan for mine. When it arrived, I walked into the dealership, wrote a check, and will get the title in a few days.

3) Latest and greatest model, things change from year to year, it's nice to get the latest and greatest.

I built mine on-line, printed out the sheet, and went to the dealership.
They did the build, I put down a $1,000.00 deposit, but that's dependent on the dealer.

It came a few days short of six weeks later. Couldn't be simpler.
Shop around first, even see if they can locate one for you, the deals on 2017's are really hot.

I just had to have a color on my Canyon that was new to 2018.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Here is how simple it can be:
No deposit down at time of the order.
Any current incentives/discounts guaranteed at time of order.
Any additional favorable incentives/discounts at time of delivery guaranteed.
No obligation to purchase when it arrives, for any reason, as dealer can easily sell to another buyer.
I always custom order. I also like anchovies on my Caesar salads!
I agree with Frank Sinatra....My Way.

P.S. No "protection packages" interior or exterior.
No add-on charges of any kind.
No extra warranty packages.
No damn dealer decals, logos or license plate frames.

Reactions: 404 Not Found

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting. The local dealer I talked to said the opposite. They said they can only apply incentives available at time of delivery. Guess I need to shop around.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Interesting. The local dealer I talked to said the opposite. They said they can only apply incentives available at time of delivery. Guess I need to shop around.
The way it works is current incentives are guaranteed at the time of order and any additional and more favorable incentives to buyer are guaranteed at the time of delivery.

Yes, shopping around is beneficial.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Here is how simple it can be:
No deposit down at time of the order.
No obligation to purchase when it arrives, for any reason, as dealer can easily sell to another buyer...
Yep, it was this easy when I ordered mine. Additionally, the sales manager was very willing to negotiate a decently discounted price at the point of order. Probably important to know what you'll be paying before you confirm your order...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yep, it was this easy when I ordered mine. Additionally, the sales manager was very willing to negotiate a decently discounted price at the point of order. Probably important to know what you'll be paying before you confirm your order...
Yes you can lock in your price but, I've seen dealers get very nervous about that this time of year due to price increases of options that occur before delivery. Apparently they don't know what the increases will be but still have to pay for them so expect some resistance there.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes you can lock in your price but, I've seen dealers get very nervous about that this time of year due to price increases of options that occur before delivery. Apparently they don't know what the increases will be but still have to pay for them so expect some resistance there.
Good point. The agreement we reached for my truck was based on the Supplier discount (via my Credit Union) minus a negotiated $400. So it wasn't a firm price so much as an agreed upon discount off sticker so presumably such price increases would be factored in at delivery...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Now with the dealers I worked with said only the GM money and incentives that were current could be used.

It makes sense as the info needs to be did one before it expires.

Now that is not to say a stray dealer might not do so on their own to close the sale.

I did have one willing but I had to pay upfront for the truck, that was not happening.

The only real advantage to ordering is emotional.

In the past one could option a truck six ways to Sunday. Today there are only a small variation of how you can order due to packages. Like the ZR or Denali there is only a couple options till you get to the dealer installed ones.

Lot rot is not an issue as they generally don’t have anything happen that can’t happen in the drive. If there is something wrong don’t buy it.

The emotional side is the feel good that they are building one for you. This is really just emotional. Also if you live in the middle of no where it may make getting what you want easier.

Most dealers will go a good ways to get you what you want. I have had the look from as far as Ohio to GA and Mo.

As for abuse in the early miles that is really not that critical as most Camaro and Corvettes would be failing everywhere. Most car buyer ignore the instructing as they never read the manual.

There is nothing wrong with ordering of you get a good deal and are ok with waiting. It is that Christmas is coming feeling for adults.

I have always wanted to do it but my best deal have been just buying and dealer trades. I have never gotten anything less than I wanted and several times got more than I was going to order.

The only person I know that got a bad deal was a friend on his TA as he wanted Recaro seats and there was a supply issue. He waited months and finally removed the seats to get the car.

The sad part was the dealer had the car with the seats he wanted when he ordered but he just wanted to order. Just one of those things that is not common but always a chance.

Strikes suck too make sure there is no pending plant strikes or shut downs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To be fair to the dealer I talked to at the time was not an in depth discussion. We were actually there for my wife to test drive a Traverse. I mentioned in passing an interest in a diesel colorado. He said I'd probably have to order as they don't generally put many Diesels on the lot. Only a few other statements were made as I didn't want to bog down the process (my wife was not interested in all that stuff).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.