Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lift is about 2.5 inches up front... I see people mentioning a Rancho 5300 for 2" TB cranks. Should I be using the 5300 even though mine is more than 2", or should I be looking for something longer?

What is the length of the factory shocks anyway?

·
Registered
557 Posts
woah, wait, i have a 2" t bar crank, i don't need new shocks do i? uh oh!?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you lift the rear with shackles, you need new shocks. to reduce stress on the tb's in the front and reduce the angle of the CV axle, you drop your front differential. There are how to's for the latter. You should not need anything else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Georgiaz71 said:
woah, wait, i have a 2" t bar crank, i don't need new shocks do i? uh oh!?
I used torsion bar keys. I got 2.5" of ride height... and now I'm over extending my shocks. If I leave it this way, I'm going to blow the seals out and my shocks will be done.

So I just want to get a shock long enough not to overextend.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The front suspension has a limited amount of travel. Raising the RESTING HEIGHT of the front does not change this travel. Therefore you do not need new front shocks.

When you raise the rear there is now effectively 2 more inches of travel and thus you need new shocks in the rear.

It's all been covered here, in quadruplicate, before....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rangerbob said:
The front suspension has a limited amount of travel. Raising the RESTING HEIGHT of the front does not change this travel. Therefore you do not need new front shocks.

When you raise the rear there is now effectively 2 more inches of travel and thus you need new shocks in the rear.

It's all been covered here, in quadruplicate, before....
The Pro Comp kit that I purchased came with shock extenders. The shop that installed the keys wasn't able to put the shock extenders on.

Why does Pro Comp provide shock extenders if there is absolutely no possibility of overextension? Furthermore, why do I get a heavy thud-clunk when my suspension articulates? Everyone that has heard it agrees it's likely the shocks being overextended.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I would assume because they provide a different arm for the suspension. If you still have the stock arms then there is no change in the travel length.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts