Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on my way home from college this past friday some guy revved his silveraod at me on the highway. Judjung by te sound it was a V8 but by it's performance it was a 4.8 V8 with just an exhaust. Well the guy took off first and I punched it. I cought up to him quite fast and passed him. I rev my truck at him but only to like 5000 RPM. Mind you that this is all going on a 65mph highway :lol: I know that what I did could harm the tranny but I was feeling cockey cause I beat him the first time but i did hear that his truck didn't downshift correctly so I gave him a second chance. Well we both go and I notice my truck held on to 2nd a little longer than usual but didn't think nothing about it till I looked at my ScanGuage II the next day to check my MPG average over a 130 mile trip home. When i looked at it I was suprized to say the least. this is what I found :shock:

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Not surprising to me at all - It's not an instant RPM cut - it merely cuts the fuel. And since you are accelerating the pistons when the fuel cut happens they are going to reach a peak speed which may just happen to be higher than the RPM at which fuel cut happens.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
ahh the 3.7's rev out to 6800-6900.

ColoradoKid121205 your lucky...my 04 will go to about 6400 and anything more will send it into limp mode

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rangerbob said:
Not surprising to me at all - It's not an instant RPM cut - it merely cuts the fuel. And since you are accelerating the pistons when the fuel cut happens they are going to reach a peak speed which may just happen to be higher than the RPM at which fuel cut happens.
yah I got ya...but how did they get that high when the fuel cut is set at 6200-6300??

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
No idea. My fuel cut is 6500 rpm so I figured yours would be also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i dunno wtf fuel cut and all the other is but from a dead stop if i hold mine to the floor it shifts out of 2 at 90-92 mph...

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rangerbob said:
No idea. My fuel cut is 6500 rpm so I figured yours would be also.
then maybe mine is as well

I have reved the truck to this point but in nuntral not whil I was shifting for 2nd to 3rd.

·
Registered
816 Posts
jacob78 said:
i dunno wtf fuel cut and all the other is but from a dead stop if i hold mine to the floor it shifts out of 2 at 90-92 mph...
It's the gearing, 3.5L with Auto and 3.73:1 gears is, 1-2 @ about 47, 2-3 at about 87, and, well, 3-4 I don't know.

·
Registered
816 Posts
that's only 0.31 tenths of a turn more of a driveshaft revolution for every ont turn of the rear end. I think

·
Registered
816 Posts
meh. lol

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
twopoint8 said:
i guess the obvious question is do you have a tune?
Yes :D

But like I stated above the rev limiter is set at 6300RPM when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts