Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Im finalizing and probably overthinking it......lol
What will give me a better ride. Im mostly focused on highway road manners. I'll go down a dirt road 2 times a year....lol

Level kit 1.25 with 1 inch block in the back

OR

Fox or Eibach Coilovers.

From what I read it mainly seems like the coilers just offer more travel which I really don't care about, however if they will offer an improved ride on the road, then I definitely want to go that way.

Thoughts?????????

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I haven't changed anything on my truck. Yet. But, here's my thought.

A couple of years ago I changed the stock springs on my sports car to Eibach springs. Exact same size and rating, just different brand. It made a big difference in ride quality. There's a big difference between a $100 springs and a $200 spring. A difference you can feel.

This winter I plan to change shocks for improved ride quality, and stock parts don't last all that long anyway. I'm taking a serious look at Eibach based on past experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Bilstein and Eiback kit will provide a better on road ride than a leveling kit. The stock struts are pretty soft and the leveling kit stiffens up the front some but not really in a good way. The loss of travel over stock is also a negative for ride quality and handling.

My opinion: If the truck is brand new or low mileage then do the leveling kit first and swap to the Eibach or Bilstein kit when the struts wear out around 60k miles or so. If the truck already has 60k miles or has been driven hard then skip the leveling kit and go straight to the new leveling struts.

In the rear you can do the lift blocks at any time as they are independent of the shocks. The shocks do not provide a lift, they simply offer a longer extension to accomodate a lift.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My truck is almost new and cost really isn't a factor. I love the truck just want a little lift and don't mind spending $ to improve the ride. Im actually really leaning toward the Fox's. Im just trying to find more info on the factory vs. performance models?
Whats your thought on the Foxs considering my goals.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
My truck is almost new and cost really isn't a factor. I love the truck just want a little lift and don't mind spending $ to improve the ride. Im actually really leaning toward the Fox's. Im just trying to find more info on the factory vs. performance models?
Whats your thought on the Foxs considering my goals.
Thanks
If cost isnt a factor then go with the new struts. I have not made the swap yet but nearly every post I've read where someone swapped the OE struts to Eibach stated it was a big improvement in ride and handling. The Bilstein reports seem to be more mixed but none state the ride was worse. I'd do more research on the Fox struts as those seem to be more geared towards offroad performance but I could be wrong. If you don't go offroad then you should be looking for a more street oriented shock valving.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If cost isnt a factor then go with the new struts. I have not made the swap yet but nearly every post I've read where someone swapped the OE struts to Eibach stated it was a big improvement in ride and handling. The Bilstein reports seem to be more mixed but none state the ride was worse. I'd do more research on the Fox struts as those seem to be more geared towards offroad performance but I could be wrong. If you don't go offroad then you should be looking for a more street oriented shock valving.

Thanks, the only reason I don't like the eibach(maybe a dumb reason) is that they don't offer coilovers. I'd like to try and stay with a similar set up as stock. I just want to do it once and do it right.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Thanks, the only reason I don't like the eibach(maybe a dumb reason) is that they don't offer coilovers. I'd like to try and stay with a similar set up as stock. I just want to do it once and do it right.
I hear ya although using their new springs with their leveling shocks is essentially the same thing. However, if you are ok with spending the money I'd consider doing a coilover system and shocks with adjustable valving so you can customize the ride feel exactly the way you want it. :grin2:

The more we chat the more I think yu should skip the leveling kit and go with coilovers. I dont think you'll be happy otherwise.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can anyone comment on the fox coilover setup vs. stock for on road manners?
Anyone??????

·
Registered
194 Posts
can anyone comment on the fox coilover setup vs. stock for on road manners?
Anyone??????
I have the fox 2.5 factory series- these come with external reservoir. For your purposes, I would save the money and go with a 2.0 non-res. To be completely honest with you, if you're not really offroading, I would save the money and just get the springs and struts that eibach offers. Put the money you saved towards new tires or something.

To answer the question about fox v stock, the stock suspension is very soft which affords it the carlike ride- The fox shocks definitely tighten things up without becoming harsh.

Reactions: F8LZ71

·
Registered
45 Posts
Strut quality trumps all

Big part of the reason i went with zr2 was for oem baller level suspension.

Have penskes on my dedicated autocross miata and second hand jrz on my focus. The amount they improve the respective vehicles cant be overstated.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya although using their new springs with their leveling shocks is essentially the same thing. However, if you are ok with spending the money I'd consider doing a coilover system and shocks with adjustable valving so you can customize the ride feel exactly the way you want it. :grin2:

The more we chat the more I think yu should skip the leveling kit and go with coilovers. I dont think you'll be happy otherwise.

Educate me man. What keeps the ring from sliding off the shock seems like a lot of pressure from the coil. IS it safe....is there any chance of the coil pushing it off. Seems like these are the way to go for improved ride.....Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Educate me man. What keeps the ring from sliding off the shock seems like a lot of pressure from the coil. IS it safe....is there any chance of the coil pushing it off. Seems like these are the way to go for improved ride.....Thanks
The lock ring is pretty much the only thing keeping the spring perch in place. If that fails then that side of the truck coukd come crashing down. Google Bilstein 5100 failure for examples. A threaded body like the Fox struts is probably less prone to failure but I don't know enough to confirm that. I would think if the failure rate was high they would redesign the lock ring.

Here is a closeup of the Bilstein and Eibach design. It also details why these are better than pre-load spacers and such.

https://youtu.be/ZOCtx6mM-u8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.