Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this on the dash of my 2018 GMC Canyon SLT? My dad has a 2018 Centennial Colorado 100yr and his doesnt have it??

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A head-up window projection?
Ive heard of it. Don't know anything about it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What is this on the dash of my 2018 GMC Canyon SLT? My dad has a 2018 Centennial Colorado 100yr and his doesnt have it??

View attachment 379743
That is the automatic braking indicator. Seeing it’s here, I would assume you have the Safety Package on your truck which has forward collision alert. This decide on the dash is essentially a light projector. When the forward collision system is activated, a chime will sound through the cabin, and this light will turn on, illuminating the glass in front of you as an alert. My mother’s Equinox has the Safety Package and this exact light projector.

Unfortunately, Colorado’s weren’t given this luxury lol. I have the same Colorado as your dad, and mine has a few less options compared to some of the stuff you can get in the Canyon (heated steering wheel, safety package, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes. Exactly that. MIne's gone off a few times. Scares the crap outta me everytime, which I guess is the whole point.
Lol yeah. Even when I’m riding passenger in my mom’s Equinox which has it, I always jump too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
The safety package was available from 2015 on as an option on the Canyon SLE & SLT and on the Colorado LT.

It was not available on the Z71 & the All Terrain. The best excuse I can come up for the lack of availability on these two trims was that the button used for turning the Lane Departure on & off was utilized for the Hill Descent feature on those models.

When the Denali came out, safety package may have been standard.

In 2019 or 2020, the safety package was upgraded to install some back up sensors/alarms. Also, in either 2019 or 2020, it became available on the Z71 & All Terrain.

For some reason, the collision alert appears to get more sensitive over time. When I first got my truck, it seemed to not go off until it would have been too late if my foot wasn't already heading to the brake pedal. Now it seems to go off much earlier, and it will sometimes go off for a shadow on the road.

If it was set off in front of a graveyard, it might be held responsible for single-handedly causing a zombie apocalypse. I really think it could wake the dead.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The safety package was available from 2015 on as an option on the Canyon SLE & SLT and on the Colorado LT.

It was not available on the Z71 & the All Terrain. The best excuse I can come up for the lack of availability on these two trims was that the button used for turning the Lane Departure on & off was utilized for the Hill Descent feature on those models.

When the Denali came out, safety package may have been standard.

In 2019 or 2020, the safety package was upgraded to install some back up sensors/alarms. Also, in either 2019 or 2020, it became available on the Z71 & All Terrain.

For some reason, the collision alert appears to get more sensitive over time. When I first got my truck, it seemed to not go off until it would have been too late if my foot wasn't already heading to the brake pedal. Now it seems to go off much earlier, and it will sometimes go off for a shadow on the road.

If it was set off in front of a graveyard, it might be held responsible for single-handedly causing a zombie apocalypse. I really think it could wake the dead.
Moms tahoe has it. It has like 5 sensitivity levels... I turn it to the lowest otherwise it's just damn intrusive.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The wife got a Terrain Denali a couple of months and I had a person switch lanes and then slow down rapidly, it went off, scared the crap out me and the wife.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yes. Exactly that. MIne's gone off a few times. Scares the crap outta me everytime, which I guess is the whole point.
I got a wife for that

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
It gets worse.

We had this on our Terrain and my Canyon. But now we have it on the Acadia and you get the alarm and light along with auto braking below I think 30-35 mph.

The wife just came in the garage on a sunny day and the Acadia stopped suddenly. That would have been fine if it was a car but a shadow?

She was not amused.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I want to try it in cruise control as I noticed this on the 2019 Acadia the stealer loaned to me. Since my Canyon still in the shop. When in cruise control. and lets say you set at 60 ,you are behind a car doing 50 it will automatically slow down and speed up. Now this maybe on the models with sensors on the bumpers??

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Does not have adaptive cruise. If it alerts, the cruise will drop out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I want to try it in cruise control as I noticed this on the 2019 Acadia the stealer loaned to me. Since my Canyon still in the shop. When in cruise control. and lets say you set at 60 ,you are behind a car doing 50 it will automatically slow down and speed up. Now this maybe on the models with sensors on the bumpers??
I recently rented a Camry and it did this with the cruise engaged. No way to turn it off, only 3 levels of sensitivity. Not a fan. Give me an off button.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The camera in the grill controls the adaptive speed. In the winter when you have the wet snow that sticks to the front of the car it will disconnect the cruise.

The wife hates it but I love it. No more disconnecting the cruise and resetting it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yup .. . forward collision alert. Have it on two current GM vehicles and had it on one previous one. Each behaved somewhat differently depending on the model year.
The biggest issue I have is that when wife, or I , it tends to get a person too dependent or at least "used to it".
Also, too senstive even at a lower setting and susceptible to false triggers.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
The camera in the grill controls the adaptive speed. In the winter when you have the wet snow that sticks to the front of the car it will disconnect the cruise.

The wife hates it but I love it. No more disconnecting the cruise and resetting it.
I think I would hate it, guess I am a control freak, do not like giving up control to HAL.

My issue, almost got me killed. I was driving with cruise engaged in right lane on I-49 in Louisiana, coming up on an 18 wheeler. There was a car in the left lane, behind me, and I signaled to change lanes to pass the 18 wheeler. Just as I began the lane change, system alerted, cruise disengaged, and I was in the left lane suddenly slowing down with a car barreling toward me. I quickly hit the accelerator and recovered, but it definitely woke me up after 5 hours of interstate driving.

To repeat, at this time the Twins do not have adaptive cruise. If the Collision Avoidance senses danger, it simply disconnects the cruise control. Hmm, DANGER, perhaps this system is more like the Robot in the Lost in Space series as opposed to HAL from 2001 Space Odyssey.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts