Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another forum a member was considering a new Colorado gasser.

A GM mechanic weighed in that oil cooler lines were a problem and that he had seen a lot of them fail. He did not specify what years though.

I haven't seen any threads here lately so I did a search and it appears failures reported here were from models 2018 and earlier.

So, are there oil cooler line failures on the later models or has it been remedied by GM?

I'd like to set the record straight if the problem has been addressed as well for myself and my '22 Colorado gasser.

TIA

Registered
2022 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss CCSB Dressed in Crush
GM has had this issue for a lot off years. Every shop and Mechanic knows about it. Transmission cooler lines are the same. Eventually they start to leak at the crimp from the steel to rubber. You either buy replacements from Napa or the like or cut the crimp out and clamp it back together. I've done it both ways with the same results just different cost. Last one I did was my own 2014 Silverado transmission line. Decided the night before a storm that I should address it before I plowed in the morning. Cut it, made a small start of a flare, double clamped, never another issue. It's a GM thing after they out of the warranty period usually 馃ぃ

Registered
It is an industry thing. That type of connection is going to leak eventually. All connections will leak over time. That connection type has been used by GM and other manufacturers for many years. I have replaced them on many GM vehicles over the years. Check them periodically and you will be fine. I think initially there may have been a run of early failures but it doesn't seem to be a problem lately. I have a 2018 3.6 truck with over 50,000 miles and mine are still original and not leaking.

Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
Yup, at some point they will fail. Not just on Colorados. Same type of lines used for power steering (not an issue on Gen 2鈥檚) and I changed them on my 2006. RockAuto had them and is not a huge job.

I had added an external transmission cooler to my 2006. Cut the factory steel lines, flared for AN fittings and added braided flex hoses to cooler. Looked factory and never leaked.

Hoses are a wear item. I wouldn鈥檛 worry about it. Enjoy your truck and repair as needed 馃榾

Registered
All the above and....Wasn't there talk of a bad oil pump that stuck and over pressured the lines mostly in cold places like Canada?
Also, there seemed to be just defective lines that would just blow off for no apparent reason leaving a huge puddle of oil in your driveway. I remember people asking for the new line's part number.
Either way like the OP said, the problem seemed to have disappeared. So most very likely the problem is fixed on the new trucks.

Reactions: Firehk

Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
Knock on wood but I've only just had to start replacing them on the older trucks... there well into 300k territory.

I did also seem to recall earlier trucks having an oil pressure issue with the lines.. Maybe the variable displacement pump is what fixed it?

Reactions: White016

Registered
It seems like most were 2015/2016 LFX engines. Have not read much about 17 and up.

Reactions: White016

Registered
I carry a spare set of the oil lines in my truck being though it was a known problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts