Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrains
65,000 Miles / 105,000 Km
17 Inch Rims, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
Stock Setup

Usage
95% On Road, City and Highway
Gravel Road Once or Twice a year
Snow Driving for a week or two per year.

Looking for that will make road travel more smooth and comfortable
Able to control a bit better

The ones that I have looked at are:
AC/Delco
Monroe Reflex or Monroe OESpectrum
Bilstein 4600 or Bilsteins 5100

·
Registered
2018 W/T 4wd silver ice 285/65/18’s zone 5.5” lift Air Design fender flares
105 Posts
Bilstine 4600 will probably be the best option. They are great quality shocks and will probably outlast Monroes. I’ve never been a fan of Monroes. They never lasted very long

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bilstine 4600 will probably be the best option. They are great quality shocks and will probably outlast Monroes. I’ve never been a fan of Monroes. They never lasted very long
Thanks for the help, I have been on the fence on getting these ones. On every forum, everyone's giving bilsteins the thumbs up and the ratings are great.

I have heard that Monroes give a nice smooth ride which is what I do want but not sure about longevity.

I dont tow and occasionally have 100 lbs in the back here and there. Would these be stiff for mainly road use?

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,087 Posts
The bilsteins are what I'll probably replace mine with. I've used them on other vehicles and I wouldn't call them stiff. They are comparable to a factory ride shock but last frigging forever. In my experience with other trucks they tame rear axle hop on gravel roads... the finer dampening is better. If that makes sense.

And I agree. Never had much luck with Monroe. The ACdelco you know what you're getting as you already have them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How do the Bilsteins compare to the Eibachs for ride comfort and lifespan? Both offer OE spec replacement shocks (no lift). Eibach also offers a "Pro Truck" line which are ride height adjustable, including a complete coilover option (2.0) geared more towards on/off road mix.

·
Registered
2018 W/T 4wd silver ice 285/65/18’s zone 5.5” lift Air Design fender flares
105 Posts
Bilstine shocks are like a Cadillac and eibach are like a Buick. Both good but Bilstine is the better of the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bilsteins are what I'll probably replace mine with. I've used them on other vehicles and I wouldn't call them stiff. They are comparable to a factory ride shock but last frigging forever. In my experience with other trucks they tame rear axle hop on gravel roads... the finer dampening is better. If that makes sense.

And I agree. Never had much luck with Monroe. The ACdelco you know what you're getting as you already have them.
Thanks, Im edging towards bilsteins even more now. I like things that last.

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
955 Posts
So I'm looking between bilstein and rockauto.

Rock shows a strut setup with or without the spring assembly.

Bilstein shows shock.

So are the fronts struts or shocks?

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,894 Posts
all GM trucks with IFS have struts in the front

these are out of stock, but if you don't have the tools and know how to assemble a strut, this is what you want to look for

otherwise have a shop do it

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,087 Posts
Yeah the new trucks are struts. Some shocks are sold loaded with springs. The bilsteins you swap on your spring assembly to the new shocks/struts up front or maybe you can buy them loaded/assembled.

I think the first gens were torsion bar like the older 1500s and 25/3500s. Makes work like shock replacement very simple but we have struts.

·
Registered
'21 Canyon AT4, CCSB, leather, Bose, etc.
217 Posts
I have used Monroe shocks over the years for my pickups and, like others are saying, they do not last. I don’t know what it is about them… but, the valving goes soft or wears out. I put Bilstein 4600 on my last ¾ ton and they lasted for years and were still working when I traded it in. My Jeep has 5100s with a lift and they are still on there. The 5100 is valved better for lots of bouncing and off-camber driving. 4600 rode like a new factory suspension.

4600s are what will go on my Canyon when the time comes. I’ll decide than whether I tackle removing the strut or having a shop do it, but I intend on keeping the GM coils unless they absolutely need replacing.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
These trucks do not have "struts" they have "shocks". A strut is a major structural part of a suspension. It takes the place of the upper control arm and upper ball joint used in conventional suspensions.
We have a "coil over shock" system, it looks similar to a strut system.

Reactions: 555dot and ajp

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
955 Posts
A strut in general is a coil over shock system.
On cars. There's no UCA.

When you order. You're not looking for a coil over shock. The catalog says struts.

It's a 2 way argument.

·
Registered
'21 Canyon AT4, CCSB, leather, Bose, etc.
217 Posts
Any opinions on rancho?
I’m not a fan of Rancho myself. I had a set front and back on my jeep one time. If you’re only rock climbing, they’re perfect. Otherwise they were way too stiff for multi use purposes. The adjustables might be a different story, I never tried those.

Though, I will admit, it’s been many years.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,894 Posts
These trucks do not have "struts" they have "shocks". A strut is a major structural part of a suspension. It takes the place of the upper control arm and upper ball joint used in conventional suspensions.
We have a "coil over shock" system, it looks similar to a strut system.
Might want to call Rough Country and explain

1 - 20 of 27 Posts