Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I have read lots of posts by other users noting things that they do or do not like about their truck. Me, I REALLY like this truck, and I have had a few over the years. So, I have been thinking critically about my truck the last few days and I have to admit I am very satisfied, happy in fact with what I got.
Ironically it is what I didn't get that struck me most today. I miss my gas cap!
I know! How ridiculous is that? Now before all of you start mocking and shaming me on a public forum let me try and explain. I used to be a pump jockey back in the days of 30 cents a litre gas and while I was filling customers cars there was always a little locking lever so you could leave the nozzle and fill another vehicle. Then along came the nanny laws and they took that lever away so when I fill my own vehicles I always popped the gas cap into the handle to lock the trigger lever up. Before you start citing the many legalities and reasons why I am going to burn down the world by doing this, relax and don't worry the nozzles will kick the pump off when it senses back pressure. Besides that your dismay at my practice and your judgement of my abilities is exactly why the nanny state exists and it is why I need a gas cap!
So, thanks! I now have to stand at my gas tank and - god forbid- hold the nozzle while I pump gas. I'm going to have to start wearing mitts in winter and I don't know when I am supposed to wash my windshield. Progress....>:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Must be a Canada thing... Gas pumps in my area have the lever that hold the trigger open until it reaches full
Our pumps still have the lockoff too...and I have a gas cap. But I have to agree, I am extremely pleased with my truck and will miss it in a few years when I sell/trade it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Funny thing is, we have the lockoff as well, and I wish I was missing the fuel cap! The diesel has one, but I'm always dropping it and whacking the side of the truck with it accidentally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can buy a locking cap that fits over the non-cap opening. I don't remember the price, but it was fairly reasonable.
There are two versions for the Silverado.
GM 84009129 for 2017 and GM 84308352 for 2018. I'm not sure which would fit Colorado. Looks like $15. The bulletin number is 17-NA-302.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Back in the 60's when I was a gas jockey, we always put the cap under the lever, the thing back then is where is the filer cap, as every manufacture on each model was hiding it in different places
55 chevy, rear left side
56-57 chevy, behind taillight
58 behind the license plate etc......

funny thing, we just bouhgt a 2018 Jeep GC/HA, I usually put gas in it. Wife stopped to put gas in it, opened the lid and no cap, she thought wtf....then read on the gas door "no gas cap"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I'll only get one if I can wedge the lever up with it!
@Hunter62 I pumped in the early-mid eighties but there were still lots of cars with gas caps behind licence plates back then. Everything else was simpler so you had to add excitement and variety somehow!

I am suprised at how many times I have already filled up my truck before I even had this thought. It must be because I have been too focused on $1.29 a litre. These prices just make me shake my head, I'm going to have to get a raise...yeah right!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

@Hunter62 I pumped in the early-mid eighties but there were still lots of cars with gas caps behind licence plates back then. Everything else was simpler so you had to add excitement and variety somehow!

I am suprised at how many times I have already filled up my truck before I even had this thought. It must be because I have been too focused on $1.29 a litre. These prices just make me shake my head, I'm going to have to get a raise...yeah right!
I don't know if you can or not - we still have the auto pumps here so I never had to try using it. :clueless

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Okay... I have read lots of posts by other users noting things that they do or do not like about their truck. Me, I REALLY like this truck, and I have had a few over the years. So, I have been thinking critically about my truck the last few days and I have to admit I am very satisfied, happy in fact with what I got.
Ironically it is what I didn't get that struck me most today. I miss my gas cap!
I know! How ridiculous is that? Now before all of you start mocking and shaming me on a public forum let me try and explain. I used to be a pump jockey back in the days of 30 cents a litre gas and while I was filling customers cars there was always a little locking lever so you could leave the nozzle and fill another vehicle. Then along came the nanny laws and they took that lever away so when I fill my own vehicles I always popped the gas cap into the handle to lock the trigger lever up. Before you start citing the many legalities and reasons why I am going to burn down the world by doing this, relax and don't worry the nozzles will kick the pump off when it senses back pressure. Besides that your dismay at my practice and your judgement of my abilities is exactly why the nanny state exists and it is why I need a gas cap!
So, thanks! I now have to stand at my gas tank and - god forbid- hold the nozzle while I pump gas. I'm going to have to start wearing mitts in winter and I don't know when I am supposed to wash my windshield. Progress....>:)
I completely understand. I was a pump jockey many moons ago too. I remember a long time ago in my area they took away our levers that hold the pumps on too. Then, for some strange reason they slowly but surely came back. Now I haven't been to a station that doesn't have them in many years. Even our pumps here in California with their goofy vapor recovery have them, it's a good thing. You might just have to start carrying a gas cap in your truck for this purpose.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I completely understand. I was a pump jockey many moons ago too. I remember a long time ago in my area they took away our levers that hold the pumps on too. Then, for some strange reason they slowly but surely came back. Now I haven't been to a station that doesn't have them in many years. Even our pumps here in California with their goofy vapor recovery have them, it's a good thing. You might just have to start carrying a gas cap in your truck for this purpose.
Cut a block of wood, and if you are really good, figure out how to keep it inside the fuel filler door.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had thought about buying a gas cap and keeping it for that reason but honestly I thought might just be too much! But a block of wood, hmm a project and a solution. I could have my very own mod thread. I'll have to ponder that.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

I needed to get gas today, so I tried to see if the cap would wedge under the fuel lever. It does. The cap is pliable enough that it fits and will hold the lever at top filling speed.

So there! :smile2:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I had thought about buying a gas cap and keeping it for that reason but honestly I thought might just be too much! But a block of wood, hmm a project and a solution. I could have my very own mod thread. I'll have to ponder that.

Or. . . use one of these - - About $2 to $3. Minus the screw clamp. IT would wedge in the filler handle pretty easily perhaps?

Minus the hose clamp of course. Works great and seals tightly. Is thick flexible rubber so easy to remove/install each time for fillup.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/pipe-tubing-hoses-fittings-accessories/fittings/flexible-fittings/fernco-2-ci-pvc-cpr-st-cap/qc-102/p-1444430439482-c-1478181399646.htm?tid=-932542854581840910&ipos=20

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fernco+QC-102&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fun Thread . . .

This is great :laugh: nice to see so many other former Gas Pump Jockeys out there. While I don't really miss the gas cap, do miss the Locking Filler Door

The other thing I really miss is the mechanical floor lever to select 4LO, guess we will never see those again.

My last (pre-Colorado) truck was a '90 F150 and it still had a floor lever . . . just like the very first 4x4 I ever drove . . . 1948 Dodge 1-ton Power Wagon , that was a truck!
. . . three teenagers and a Power Wagon what could go wrong . . .​

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Former gas jockey here from the 1970s as well. I'll never forget the incredible engine compartment heat while checking oil on the diesel cars of the era. As for the fuel nozzles, I still find a few diesel ones here in Canada with the locking tab. During winter, it sure is nice to jump back in the running truck while the tank is filling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts