Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

What does your ZR2 get for gas mileage

81K views 184 replies 104 participants last post by  Tank46 
#1 ·
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a black 17 ZR2, local dealer in stl has dropped price for labor day sale.
it is rated like 16/18, what do you guys get on the highway?
I drive to Colorado/Kansas and 200 miles each way too hunt on weekends,

My 11 Canyon gets about 20ish, 16 around town. would get better if i did not have a 3inch lift and 33inch tires..

#3 ·
My friends new ZR2 with the diesel is averaging 26mpg. It gets over 30 hwy.
So far he is really loving the truck, says he gets 8mpg better than his 2016 V6 Colorado Z71 driving the same style and roads.

#6 ·
That does not tell me anything, in town? to and from work? Cruising the strip at night? Highway at 70 or 90mph?

I get maybe 250miles on my 11 Canyon on a good day in town and highway

#9 · (Edited)
I average anywhere from 17-19mpg with a best of 21mpg depending on how I'm driving with an even mixture of city/highway during my daily commute. I also used to have somewhat of a heavy foot but I've been pretty lax in my driving style as of late. This is with consistently refueling at BP with 87 Octane, having a 70mph speed limit on the highway, and local speed limits ranging from 35mph, 45mph, and 55mph.

Side note; I drove 4 hours to my brother's place in Chicago and averaged about 22mpg on the highway. I'll check when I leave for home and update my post with a more accurate number if I can!

#10 ·
Best I have got is 23.4 going over a 5500ft pass. In town I get 12-17 depending on how I drive. I think the truck is capable of 26+ on level freeway.

Reactions: nvblue and Hunter62
#14 ·
I've got a V6 ZR2 with about 2700 miles on it. I drove from Las Vegas to Montana last week and averaged 19.0MPG over the 770 mile trip. Most of that distance was done with the cruise set at 82MPH thanks to the 80MPH speed limits in UT, ID, and MT. I've found I'm able to get closer to 21MPG doing 75 and it jumps up to around 23-24MPG at 70.

#16 ·
I have filled mine up 3 times since I bought it. It was used when I bought it so already broke in, but according to the computer in truck I have averaged mid 19's for each of those three tanks. This is a roughly equal mix of highway and city driving that's 87 octane not very heavy footed. Seems decent to me for a gas truck with any towing capacity.

#22 ·
Bump... I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a gas ZR2. I keep going back and forth between a Z71 and ZR2 because of the fuel mileage difference.

I'm just looking for a few more examples (or updated examples) of highway fuel mileage. I commute about 36 miles round trip to work, mostly highway 65-70mph. I drive 80% highway, 20% city.

Hoping to average 18+ and hoping to get 20+ on the highway with a light pedal. Does this seem reasonable?

I currently drive a 2014 Tundra TRD 4x4 (rated 13 city/17 highway). I average 14.5mpg and the best I've ever seen on the highways is 16.7mpg.

#24 ·
I get around 23mpg but right now almost 24 in mixed in the diesel. I believe its still breaking in yet @1500 miles

#25 ·
ZR2 gas gets 23+ open road and 12+/- in town spirited driving. If I control my right foot I can bring the in town up to 15+/-.

#26 ·
I just went on 900 round trip(450 each way), driving 75 against wind and hills, I averaged 17.2 heading west, heading east, same hills and same speed with no wind I averaged 18.5.. While there for 5 days, 60mph max with city and some dirt roads/pasture I averaged 21mpg

I was hoping for better but it is about the same as my 2011 Canyon got but the truck is way much better overall

#30 ·
I average about 23mpg in my diesel CC ZR2- this includes highway, stop-and-go and cruising. I find going over 60 mph kills the mileage as much as driving in town. I believe this has something to do with aerodynamics or the lack thereof. The best mileage occurs at around 35mph on cruise control (24.6). You know, country road cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.