Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one from one member and it says "locked" on the screen, I've read that here before, so:

- Should I just take it to the dealer?

- Do I need something like the VIN of the truck in which it was originally installed?

- How much did they charge you to do it?

- Has anyone found a better solution? Broken the codes, etc so I dont have to pay the stealership? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've never personally done this but from what I've read you need to take it to the dealership because I believe they unlock it w/ a tech 2. And I think the fee varies from dealer to dealer so I'd call around..hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
agonzalez said:
I got one from one member and it says "locked" on the screen, I've read that here before, so:

- Should I just take it to the dealer?

- Do I need something like the VIN of the truck in which it was originally installed?

- How much did they charge you to do it?

- Has anyone found a better solution? Broken the codes, etc so I dont have to pay the stealership? :)

Thanks!
Got mine done through a hookup from Izzy's boy Brian. He had to download a software patch for my BCM but it was pretty painless for him and his TechII. I got mine from EBay and didn't have any VIN's, etc. from the previous owner. Works great. He did a CASE on a new PCM for me too and programmed a few new remotes and he only wanted $20, gave him $40.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mm... it seems that the stealership is the only option for me then :(

I'll start calling tomorrow to find out how much they would charge to do it... if it is too much I'd have to get an aftermarket hunit

Does it matter if its a GMC or Chevy dealer? If I call them all would be easier to find a bargain :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It does not matter what dealership, The most Ive herd it costing is $40

They may just charge you for an hour of labor.... There is a member in FL (Miami) who works at a dealer..

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
switzxx20 said:
Costed me a pretty penny, but the right dealership will do it for peanuts lol
Theyre actually asking for $95 and $105 @ the nearest GMC and Chevy dealers respectively :?

No way in hell I'm paying that... I can get a much better aftermarket unit for pretty much the same price :?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I had quotes up to $180........

I finally found a reasonable dealership and had it done for $50.

They're charging so much because they're charging to not only unlock it, but also to reprogram it -- which it DOESN'T need. It just needs to be unlocked.

After about a year of use, mine is starting to crap out on me now though, so aftermarket is what I'm going back to.

But yes, ONLY the dealer will be able to do this. Don't buy anything online or the like. You can't do this on your own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
is that supposed to be free..you just need to show them proof that you own the vehicle like VIN # or registration. you also need to the numbers located on the back of the unit and they should give you a code to unlock it for free..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts