Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

19641 - 19659 of 19659 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Z71 4x4 CCSB
121 Posts
You will definitely produce more power from the cold air, BUT after efficiency factors in, you're using more power to create the cold air via the A/C. For an N/A engine that doesn't really see super high intake temps to begin with, you are definitely on the losing end of the power give/take.

The Dodge Demon uses the A/C to help cool the air-water intercooler, but being that it is using a roots style blower under 14.5psi pressure, heat is an actual issue that can rob a serious amount of power.

There is a wiper cowl induction "snorkel" mod that some 2nd Gen Tacoma owners use. It pipes directly to the wiper cowl, for an otherwise undetectable snorkel. It does help that their filter sits on the engine, right next to the throttle body, along with a very minimal amount of crap, so there is a ton of room to do the simple plumbing. Unfortunately there is no easy way for us to do this.

I was just kidding...

But this sounds like a fun conversation so I'll play...

Being as though I'm in Florida, my AC is on all the time anyway, if I could use a vent actuator, or like a blend door to direct half the cold air into the cab and half to the intake I could use the same power for the AC, but still get more power from the cold air..

Again this is just thoughtful playing... But this may not be a bad choice for someone who uses the AC all the time anyway, our stock air boxes are actually really efficient, but if we could easily get the AC blower motor to have an electronically controlled door that could send cooled air from the blower motor when needed/wanted it may help... May not... May be such a small increase it would be a waste of money too... That would be my guess LOL

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was just kidding...

But this sounds like a fun conversation so I'll play...

Being as though I'm in Florida, my AC is on all the time anyway, if I could use a vent actuator, or like a blend door to direct half the cold air into the cab and half to the intake I could use the same power for the AC, but still get more power from the cold air..

Again this is just thoughtful playing... But this may not be a bad choice for someone who uses the AC all the time anyway, our stock air boxes are actually really efficient, but if we could easily get the AC blower motor to have an electronically controlled door that could send cooled air from the blower motor when needed/wanted it may help... May not... May be such a small increase it would be a waste of money too... That would be my guess LOL
Theoretically speaking, of course... You could potentially run into zero in-car vent flow at high rpm, if you were doing a split vent system. 7000rpm at 3.6L is 445CFM. Not even sure the HVAC blower motor blows that much. 😂 And that's on High. If you're on a lower blower setting, you would end up restricting intake volume if you needed to rev up. That will severely impact power output.

An inline heat exchanger similar to a heater core, but for cooling would be a better option. You can close the HVAC system off from the engine's airflow needs and have all the air flow still come through the interior vents.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I feel like 95% of people with snorkels on their rigs in the US will never actually use them. Sure turn the intake point around while in a dusty convoy maybe. But submerged.... nah. Jmo

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I agree. I hate how mine looks.
That is one of the nicer looking snorkel options. But i have never cared for how a snorkel looks on any vehicle honestly.
Yea! Most of the snorkels I have seen never had the greatest looks. I like the idea of them, but only a couple have executed the looks for me while still serving a limited function. Oh and while one has already cut and drilled holes in the fender. I for some reason could not come to terms with holes on the outside A-pillar. Alphaequipt's design avoid its. At least if I wake up one day and just hate it. Its just a new fender I would worry about replacing. Whom am I'm kidding. ITS CARBON FIBER! Adds 100hp :ROFLMAO:

There is a wiper cowl induction "snorkel" mod that some 2nd Gen Tacoma owners use. It pipes directly to the wiper cowl, for an otherwise undetectable snorkel. It does help that their filter sits on the engine, right next to the throttle body, along with a very minimal amount of crap, so there is a ton of room to do the simple plumbing. Unfortunately there is no easy way for us to do this.
This is a cool idea. Didnt read the entire thread, but I got to wonder what air filter would fit well enough in the area.

Reactions: 5678ta

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
348 Posts
I feel like 95% of people with snorkels on their rigs in the US will never actually use them. Sure turn the intake point around while in a dusty convoy maybe. But submerged.... nah. Jmo

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
They're really intended for dust, not water. You'd have to seal it up and the airbox for water. And then raise differential vents, etc. Here in California it gets really dusty on the trails. And I like they way they look.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,009 Posts
They're really intended for dust, not water. You'd have to seal it up and the airbox for water. And then raise differential vents, etc. Here in California it gets really dusty on the trails. And I like they way they look.
Raising the diff vents and sealing the air box was really straightforward. Finding a way to seal up the fuse block was tricky and required a trip to the junk yard and finding the right sized container to mount it in. Not to mention the silicone I had to smear everywhere.

I’m still running a mechanical fan so I’m not exactly prepared for deep water. It would be nice to turn off the fan during crossings. I prefer mechanical fans to electric so I never swapped.

All I know is water is the enemy and I avoid it whenever possible. Dust is definitely the most useful part of having a snorkel.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Raising the diff vents and sealing the air box was really straightforward. Finding a way to seal up the fuse block was tricky and required a trip to the junk yard and finding the right sized container to mount it in. Not to mention the silicone I had to smear everywhere.

I’m still running a mechanical fan so I’m not exactly prepared for deep water. It would be nice to turn off the fan during crossings. I prefer mechanical fans to electric so I never swapped.

All I know is water is the enemy and I avoid it whenever possible. Dust is definitely the most useful part of having a snorkel.
Fortunately, where I am going this upcoming weekend, water won't be an issue. But I will be extending my diff breathers and sealing the fuse box shortly. I'll also be installing a snorkel (which is already sitting in my garage).

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,009 Posts
I'll also be installing a snorkel (which is already sitting in my garage).
Did you get one of those fancy Carbon Fiber ones? They look good compared to mine.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Most mechanical clutch fans will completely disengage, save for some light drag. The viscous engagement fluid is thermostatically triggered by atmosphere temp, so it will release its lock the second it touches the cold water. Just dont be at 5000rpm when you hit the water. Ease in and you should be more than fine to drive through.

I have some experience with both the LS electric clutch and mech clutch fans on my Saab 97x (its a Trailblazer in Saab clothing), as well as the LS1 e-fan retrofit. If you dont experience hot weather (>100*), a retrofit will work decently. But in my experience, a retrofit doesnt work amazing unless you have a properly sized radiator to support the lower airflow. You just cant beat the air flow from a clutch fan.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Took some advice from @5678ta and @Thunderbear and painted up version 2.

View attachment 402899 View attachment 402898
View attachment 402897

Also put a decent sized hole in the fender. :oops::eek: View attachment 402900
Looking good, as always. Are you getting any airflow through there? When I installed the Block8head pod, I noticed the giant gap between the dash outer skin and the inner, where hot air could just spill out. I thought about sealing it with some stick on weatherstrip just to close the gap.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
226 Posts
Oil change, replaced a taillight bulb, got my tires aired up at discount tire(free service), and topped off my coolant and windshield wiper fluid. If you haven’t gotten one yet, I highly recommend the EZ oil change valves. Makes oil changes a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oil change, replaced a taillight bulb, got my tires aired up at discount tire(free service), and topped off my coolant and windshield wiper fluid. If you haven’t gotten one yet, I highly recommend the EZ oil change valves. Makes oil changes a breeze.
I have one in my box of stuff waiting for my next oil change. I have a Fumoto valve on my 4Runner too.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
226 Posts
I have one in my box of stuff waiting for my next oil change. I have a Fumoto valve on my 4Runner too.
After a couple oil spills on my driveway I figured id buy one. One thing about my EZ drain was that it actually interfered with the oil pan when I went to install it. I stole a crush washer off my dirtbike and it solved my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looking good, as always. Are you getting any airflow through there? When I installed the Block8head pod, I noticed the giant gap between the dash outer skin and the inner, where hot air could just spill out. I thought about sealing it with some stick on weatherstrip just to close the gap.
I noticed the gap too, especially after seeing how the oem piece was designed. Weatherstrip was exactly what i used. I used some leftover garage door weatherstrip that I cut to fit and lined it with some double sided tape. Seems to work well enough to get air flow. BTW how is the 4WD selector relocation plate holding up?

Finished it. A interesting sound on part throttle.
snorkel.jpg

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I noticed the gap too, especially after seeing how the oem piece was designed. Weatherstrip was exactly what i used. I used some leftover garage door weatherstrip that I cut to fit and lined it with some double sided tape. Seems to work well enough to get air flow. BTW how is the 4WD selector relocation plate holding up?

Finished it. A interesting sound on part throttle.
View attachment 403019
That looks great. Slightly tempted, but thankfully the pricetag and the fact that it would eat one of my stripes will keep me from pulling the trigger.

The pod came with some weatherstrip so it narrowed the gap, if not closed.

Everything is holding up like it was factory, not surprisingly, given the effort you put into it!

I'm hoping to find someone like you on the Bronco forums for similar OEM improvement-slash-modifications.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That looks great. Slightly tempted, but thankfully the pricetag and the fact that it would eat one of my stripes will keep me from pulling the trigger.

The pod came with some weatherstrip so it narrowed the gap, if not closed.

Everything is holding up like it was factory, not surprisingly, given the effort you put into it!

I'm hoping to find someone like you on the Bronco forums for similar OEM improvement-slash-modifications.
Good to hear . Man the stars might align. Its been a long debate with the SO, the Bronco or T4R. She is wanting an SUV.

19641 - 19659 of 19659 Posts