Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

18761 - 18780 of 18913 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,896 Posts
I cleaned mine out a few weeks ago and was amazed at how much stuff came out. So I made two 3x4x5" stacks of trunk liner and set them in the depression on the inside edge of the hood hinges. You can't see it in the pictures but I also glued a 3" piece of gasket material on the top of the hinge to fill the gap between the hinge and the hood.

View attachment 399335

View attachment 399336
What I did a few weeks ago was silicone A/C filter to the Wiper Cowl.
Passanger Side Wiper Cowl.jpg
Driver Side Wiper Cowl.jpg

·
Registered
857 Posts
Applied brake quiet to the back of the rear pads to stop them chatterering for awhile. Chirps are gone for now, but next off road outing will be the real test.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey guys.....me again. Fought with the rear regear for another few hours today. Spent a lot of time scratching my head, realizing I have adequate tools. Not the right tools, adequate tools. I got it done(minus pinion seal and yoke), but it was not pretty. I would also never wish this on anyone else without a lift, an extra set of hands and full preparations.

As if this process hasn't thrown me enough curve balls, seems Nitro packed a front diff pinion seal instead of a rear. Appears to be a dealer-only item. The dealer that isn't open on Sundays. puts shotgun in mouth I'll hit the dealer tomorrow and wrap up after work.

So I took a nice long break and a nap. Cool. Got some motivation to swap the leaf springs, so off I went. Passenger side done. Drivers side ready to go in. Test fit the new bolt and WTF. It's a leaf spring bolt alright...but for the shackle end, which is an M12, not an M14. Pulls trigger of shotgun that's resting in my mouth

I don't think I'm going to be doing any mods or repairs for the next year. I've never had this many difficulties on any project. Gonna go cry in a corner till the morning. Bye.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Hey guys.....me again. Fought with the rear regear for another few hours today. Spent a lot of time scratching my head, realizing I have adequate tools. Not the right tools, adequate tools. I got it done(minus pinion seal and yoke), but it was not pretty. I would also never wish this on anyone else without a lift, an extra set of hands and full preparations.

As if this process hasn't thrown me enough curve balls, seems Nitro packed a front diff pinion seal instead of a rear. Appears to be a dealer-only item. The dealer that isn't open on Sundays. puts shotgun in mouth I'll hit the dealer tomorrow and wrap up after work.

So I took a nice long break and a nap. Cool. Got some motivation to swap the leaf springs, so off I went. Passenger side done. Drivers side ready to go in. Test fit the new bolt and WTF. It's a leaf spring bolt alright...but for the shackle end, which is an M12, not an M14. Pulls trigger of shotgun that's resting in my mouth

I don't think I'm going to be doing any mods or repairs for the next year. I've never had this many difficulties on any project. Gonna go cry in a corner till the morning. Bye.
Once upon a time, GM gear changes were really easy. Disconnect the rear of the drive shaft, pull the axles out a couple inches by removing 4 bolts on each side, and remove a dozen or so bolts around the banjo and the whole gear set came out via the front of the diff housing. Go to the junk yard and look for a 6 cylinder standard shift station wagon, pay the man $25 to pull the rear end and you had a set of 4:11 gears. Ah, the good old days! Of course, they weren't the strongest third members, nor were they locking, but everything has it's trade offs.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 dmax
35 Posts
... I tell you what, that $1000 labor isn't sounding terrible. I may just write up a thread for regear tips.
I've been following your comments regarding your re-gear (as I'm getting it done soon) and I feel confident enough to give it a shot but you've convinced me to pay someone to do it and keep the hassle out of my life :) Enjoying seeing your input still and a writeup would be awesome to see!

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
110 Posts
I tell you what, that $1000 labor isn't sounding terrible. I may just write up a thread for regear tips.
Sounds like the thread would really just be, "Whatever you were quoted for labor is worth it"

At least there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it works perfectly once it's put back together, but I think you've convinced me that if I regear at some point, I'm just going to pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did my first oil change on the truck, myself. Ran out of the dealership oil change program. Mobil 1 Full Syn. Filter is in a stupid location.

Also, De-Badged the truck yesterday. Nice and clean, other than all the scratches and some dents from wear and tear over the years.
Debadged the bed and tailgate, and lst weekend installed the taillights.
View attachment 399363
The tailgate has a nice clean look. I assume everything on the tailgate is affixed using tape ? Do you know if the front bowtie is also taped or bolted/screwed on ?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I've been following your comments regarding your re-gear (as I'm getting it done soon) and I feel confident enough to give it a shot but you've convinced me to pay someone to do it and keep the hassle out of my life :) Enjoying seeing your input still and a writeup would be awesome to see!

This truck is a real pita to change gears if you don't have a two poster and a press. Late 80's-early 90's I was a GM tech, had a lot of soft gears in 3/4 and 1 tn trucks back then. Warranty paid less than 2 hrs for the swap. After 10-12 times I could beat the flat rate (WP).

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
234 Posts
The tailgate has a nice clean look. I assume everything on the tailgate is affixed using tape ? Do you know if the front bowtie is also taped or bolted/screwed on ?
The tailgate bowtie is stuck on with a very strong adhesive tape.

The front bowtie snaps into the grill. You only have to take the screws off the top of the grill (where the front of hood latches), then you can move the grill forward, reach back behind it, and unsnap the bowtie.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
209 Posts
Installed this yesterday. Got it for $11 shipped from amazon. I really like it. It can shift a bit if you put heavy items on the top shelf. Not a lot but it bothers me so I am gonna add some double sided tape to attach it better. This glove box is large compared to previous cars but was almost useless cause it was just a big dump bin. Now its perfectly useful for my needs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The tailgate bowtie is stuck on with a very strong adhesive tape.

The front bowtie snaps into the grill. You only have to take the screws off the top of the grill (where the front of hood latches), then you can move the grill forward, reach back behind it, and unsnap the bowtie.
So, there will be a hole(s) behind the front bowtie if removed ? Maybe overthinking this, but don't want to take off the tailgate bowtie if I can't take off the front one.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So, there will be a hole(s) behind the front bowtie if removed ? Maybe overthinking this, but don't want to take off the tailgate bowtie if I can't take off the front one.
Just swap out the grille for the Chevrolet Script grille and the problem is solved. I did. ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes there are, there are 4 holes for the clips to snap into, if I remember correctly. I also believe it is a little bit recessed. (I could be misremembering about the recess, but its been a couple years since I pulled off my bowtie)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes there are, there are 4 holes for the clips to snap into, if I remember correctly. I also believe it is a little bit recessed. (I could be misremembering about the recess, but its been a couple years since I pulled off my bowtie)
Yes there are holes when it is taken out and yes it is recessed.

Quite a bit of money for a new grill that is just ABS plastic, though the chevy script does look nice.

Reactions: brobocop

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes there are holes when it is taken out and yes it is recessed.

Quite a bit of money for a new grill that is just ABS plastic, though the chevy script does look nice.
Thank you to all who answered my question about the front bow tie. If you think the new grill is expensive in the U.S. just add between 30-40% plus shipping in Canada. In part due to the dollar difference and because we always pay so much more up north. The new grills are very nice, but way out of my budget. The front bow tie stays for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thank you to all who answered my question about the front bow tie. If you think the new grill is expensive in the U.S. just add between 30-40% plus shipping in Canada. In part due to the dollar difference and because we always pay so much more up north. The new grills are very nice, but way out of my budget. The front bow tie stays for now. Thanks again.
The worst part about this forum is seeing all the awesome mods and then finding out how much more it costs in Canadian dollars. The salt in the wound is always the shipping - that's if they ship across the border. My kids have stopped asking me why I'm always teary-eyed!

@canuuk01 did you think about just switching your gold bowtie to a more subtle black one? I was able to get a free black bowtie for my grill at the dealership. They just toss them out if they take them off another vehicle. I was planning to put the black on the front and just take the gold off the back. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried plasti dipping the front all black? I bought my all black ones (full black plastic) on eBay for roughly $56. They look great and didn’t want all the Little Rock chips to affect the look of the plasti dip. I didn’t put the one on the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18761 - 18780 of 18913 Posts