Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

18421 - 18440 of 18498 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
212 Posts
Changed my oil upon arriving home today. Dic said 40% left but she was dark! For the price of oil vs the investment of the truck, I think I'll stick to this interval from here out.

I also installed the updated oil filter insert.

I must say the superskidz access panel and fumoto valve made it a snap!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
This morning I let the dealership do the first service since it was free. I'll do all oil changes from here out. I need to get a Fumoto valve but I have around 5,000 miles before I need it. I have Fumotos on all our other cars and trucks and they are da bomb!

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
44 Posts
Just curious - why did you pick that model? Considering whether I need one and looking for advice. Thx
I was never going to hard mount it. So it needed to fit under the seat for storage. Price wasn't a concern. But didn't want to pay more for less or features i would never need. Never going to lift my truck or have to worry about inflating 4 buddies rigs in the middle of Moab. They can buy thier own compressors. Lol. The 88 fit that criteria. Duty cycle and run time are perfect for inflating four 31 inch tires from 20 to 35 psi.

There are some reviews of the 88 airline breaking at the discharge fitting. This is an obvious design flaw in the storage bag. It's an inch to two too small. It keeps the hose bent hard over at the connector. Put the pump under the seat and the bag in the garage.

Works good. Quiet. Hose and cord good length. But it does get HOT fast. Will need to ride in the bed until it cools off.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This morning I let the dealership do the first service since it was free. I'll do all oil changes from here out. I need to get a Fumoto valve but I have around 5,000 miles before I need it. I have Fumotos on all our other cars and trucks and they are da bomb!
I had considered buying one for previous vehicles but never did. But the way to oil shoots way right on our trucks while draining and the fact that I would have to remove two skid plates basically to drain pushed me to buy one. I believe I bought it last black Friday, or during some other promotional sale type time, it saved me a few bucks. It was so nice to use though. I'd be kind of scared to have one without having it covered by a skid though.

To the topic I ordered wipers for all my vehicles last week, my colorado wipers are 3 years old now, the passenger side broke a week ago (the rubber split) and just maybe we'll get some rain in nor cal again soon.

Also supposedly you get two free oil changed as well. I only used one myself after I found a bit of spilt oil near the filter (how) that wasn't wiped up. My service manager is a great guy buy he didn't sound open to having a tech install the fumoto valve for me which required removal of the 2 skids either. So I did my second change and now my third.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I had considered buying one for previous vehicles but never did. But the way to oil shoots way right on our trucks while draining and the fact that I would have to remove two skid plates basically to drain pushed me to buy one. I believe I bought it last black Friday, or during some other promotional sale type time, it saved me a few bucks. It was so nice to use though. I'd be kind of scared to have one without having it covered by a skid though.

To the topic I ordered wipers for all my vehicles last week, my colorado wipers are 3 years old now, the passenger side broke a week ago (the rubber split) and just maybe we'll get some rain in nor cal again soon.

Also supposedly you get two free oil changed as well. I only used one myself after I found a bit of spilt oil near the filter (how) that wasn't wiped up. My service manager is a great guy buy he didn't sound open to having a tech install the fumoto valve for me which required removal of the 2 skids either. So I did my second change and now my third.

There should be no need to remove any skid plate for an oil change, with or without the Fumoto valve, unless you have some aftermarket skids. Maybe the Bison AFE plates require it, but the factory plates do not.

·
Registered
339 Posts
~1100lbs of free water softener salt. (Yes thats my old truck top right and I have loaded way more than this in it lol.)

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
873 Posts
There should be no need to remove any skid plate for an oil change, with or without the Fumoto valve, unless you have some aftermarket skids. Maybe the Bison AFE plates require it, but the factory plates do not.
If you read the post right above you would see that I said the superskidz access panel and fumoto valve in tandem made for an easy oil change. (Aftermarket skid plate set 1-2-3-4) is what I have unfortunately James lost his wife and likely his interest in skid plate manufacturing based on the cost of the machines to make them here in the US (they were made in canada). I give him props in my customer service experience and rip to his lady.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
698 Posts
Tightened my front caliper bolts again for the 100th time. I had previously added split style lock washers but I guess that stopped working.

I removed the lock washers and bent them out some more so they'd hopefully hold better until I come up with a better solution. Loctite didn’t seem to work either.

I thinking about safety wire but haven’t used it before.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
657 Posts
Tightened my front caliper bolts again for the 100th time. I had previously added split style lock washers but I guess that stopped working.

I removed the lock washers and bent them out some more so they'd hopefully hold better until I come up with a better solution. Loctite didn’t seem to work either.

Safety wire. If nothing else sees to work, that may be your last resort. Lots of tutorials on youtube for how to use it properly. You might have some fun drilling the bolts though. They are typically harder steel vs the rest of the truck. Take pics if you go that route.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Safety wire. If nothing else sees to work, that may be your last resort. Lots of tutorials on youtube for how to use it properly. You might have some fun drilling the bolts though. They are typically harder steel vs the rest of the truck. Take pics if you go that route.
Bolts will be tough but a carbide drill should handle them. Or an EDM, but who has an EDM in their garage? WV Native, which Loc-Tite are you using? Try cleaning out the treads, both on the bolt and in the hole (a wire brush used for guns can help - maybe 45 caliber?), followed up with an alcohol rinse then red Loc-Tite with lock washers for back up. You may even want to try replacing the bolts with new ones.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a friend who operates his own machine shop so hopefully he’ll do the drilling for me.

I’ve never had a vehicle with this issue. Safety wire seems kinda extreme to me but I’m tired of checking those bolts every whip stitch during my camping trips.

If I end up going that route I’ll definitely take photos. I’m still considering Nordlock washers for this issue but cannot find them local yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Look into nord lock washers. Expensive but should do the trick.

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bolts will be tough but a carbide drill should handle them. Or an EDM, but who has an EDM in their garage? WV Native, which Loc-Tite are you using? Try cleaning out the treads, both on the bolt and in the hole (a wire brush used for guns can help - maybe 45 caliber?), followed up with an alcohol rinse then red Loc-Tite with lock washers for back up. You may even want to try replacing the bolts with new ones.
I’ve been using the standard blue loctite (liquid and paste) with no luck. Cleaned the bolt threads several times and scrubbed the bolt hole as well.

I’ll buy new bolts if I end up going the safety wire route.

I stay pretty busy camping this time of year so the issue of loose bolts is more pressing these days. Annoying is not really a strong enough word for those bolts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Reactions: Y E T I

·
Registered
3 Posts

The typical helical spring washer … serves as a spring while the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a lockwasher of this type is useless for locking.

18421 - 18440 of 18498 Posts