Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

17761 - 17780 of 17795 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
80 Posts
edit now that I reread your post I think you mean loss of light from a cover not just the yellow.
Nah what I ment was that yellow light is supposed to be at a wave length that makes driving in fog and snow easier since the light does not bounce back the same. I was curious if the yellow lenses had the same effect or if it need to be an actual yellow LED bulb to work properly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nah what I ment was that yellow light is supposed to be at a wave length that makes driving in fog and snow easier since the light does not bounce back the same. I was curious if the yellow lenses had the same effect or if it need to be an actual yellow LED bulb to work properly.
Basically, yellow light is processed easier by our eyes and blue lights increases glare. Here is an interesting read if you have a minute.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the eibachs and they are good especially for the price. If you can afford it, the new eibach coilovers (around $800) would be an easier install. If you get the eibach RHA struts, you reuse the stock perch parts. The eibach coilovers just came out, otherwise I would have purchased those instead.
I saw the coilovers on their site but I was more interested in the pro truck lift kit mostly because of the price tag. What's the difference between the coilovers and the lift kit?

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
104 Posts
I saw the coilovers on their site but I was more interested in the pro truck lift kit mostly because of the price tag. What's the difference between the coilovers and the lift kit?
In my estimation they probably perform similarly. I think the coilover is just far more convenient and looks sharper/stronger. I believe both pistons are 46mm which leads me to believe they are similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,582 Posts
Basically, yellow light is processed easier by our eyes and blue lights increases glare. Here is an interesting read if you have a minute.
I definitely know that it true from the Headlights with the Blue Hue to them. They absolutely kill my eyes.

Plus they make Yellow Tinted Safety Glasses a key reason:

What are yellow tinted safety glasses for?
Amber or yellow tints are able to make low-light environments appear brighter due to the large amount of light allowed to pass through the lenses. They also increase contrast and depth perception, and even block harmful blue light. This is helpful indoors, in overcast weather, or even in the shade
Tinted Safety Glasses: Best Lens Colors for Safety Glasses

And, that's why fog lights with yellow color are preferred by car drivers, especially in bad weather conditions. Yellow color is less frustrating for the eyes than blue or white shades. The purpose behind using selective yellow light is to improve the visibility

Yellow vs. White Fog Lights: Make a Better Decision for Brighter Light.

Here is an article with the opposite thought:

The Yellow Wavelength Fallacy
Each color in the light spectrum has a different wavelength. Air molecules scatter colors of shorter wavelengths more so than those of longer wavelengths. White light contains all colors, the argument has been made that yellow light, with a fairly long wavelength, will be less likely to be scattered. The problem with this argument is that the moisture droplets that make up fog are too large to selectively scatter different wavelengths of color. This being the case, yellow light holds no advantage over white light.
The Disadvantage of Average Yellow Lights
Almost all yellow fog lights are made of a white light bulb with a yellow filter or lens. By putting a colored lens over a white light the output is reduced by as much as 30 percent, which makes the average yellow fog light less effective than the average white fog light.

Yellow Vs. White Fog Lights - AUTOINTHEBOX

·
Registered
421 Posts
I definitely know that it true from the Headlights with the Blue Hue to them. They absolutely kill my eyes.

Plus they make Yellow Tinted Safety Glasses a key reason:

What are yellow tinted safety glasses for?
Amber or yellow tints are able to make low-light environments appear brighter due to the large amount of light allowed to pass through the lenses. They also increase contrast and depth perception, and even block harmful blue light. This is helpful indoors, in overcast weather, or even in the shade
Tinted Safety Glasses: Best Lens Colors for Safety Glasses

And, that's why fog lights with yellow color are preferred by car drivers, especially in bad weather conditions. Yellow color is less frustrating for the eyes than blue or white shades. The purpose behind using selective yellow light is to improve the visibility

Yellow vs. White Fog Lights: Make a Better Decision for Brighter Light.

Here is an article with the opposite thought:

The Yellow Wavelength Fallacy
Each color in the light spectrum has a different wavelength. Air molecules scatter colors of shorter wavelengths more so than those of longer wavelengths. White light contains all colors, the argument has been made that yellow light, with a fairly long wavelength, will be less likely to be scattered. The problem with this argument is that the moisture droplets that make up fog are too large to selectively scatter different wavelengths of color. This being the case, yellow light holds no advantage over white light.
The Disadvantage of Average Yellow Lights
Almost all yellow fog lights are made of a white light bulb with a yellow filter or lens. By putting a colored lens over a white light the output is reduced by as much as 30 percent, which makes the average yellow fog light less effective than the average white fog light.

Yellow Vs. White Fog Lights - AUTOINTHEBOX
I wear glasses normally so I have a lightly polarized pair of amber clip ons handy all the time. Sometimes I like the amber color, sometimes not. Knowing that the polarization affect reduces the amount of available light, it can also reduce the glare. I find that it depends on the conditions at that time and I like the option available to me.

Reactions: gherbert

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
A good confirmation dyno session today.

2016 Colorado LWN 2.8L Duramax
ADP Carbon Fiber Intake
43mm VGT Upgrade
ADP MAP Upgrade
ADP EFI Live Tuning
We baselined our truck with the stock turbo tuning in it to start and measured 221whp/412wtq. Our previous test truck saw 225whp/415wtq on the same tune so we're going to call that consistent.
With the max effort tune loaded we achieved 270whp/460wtq. This is the same tune you can achieve well into +30mpg mark and daily drive.
Stock LWN Dyno [email protected] / [email protected]
ADP LWN Dyno [email protected] / [email protected]
ADP LWN 43mm [email protected] / [email protected]
ADP Tuning Gains +78whp/120wtq over stock
ADP 43mm/Tune Gains +123whp/165wtq over stock
Max Boost Pressure Measured was 38psi
Max EGT Measured 1414F
Max EOT 203F
Max CAC1 301F
Max MAT 116F
Ambient Temp 91F
I'd dial down that boost. The full size were considered entering questionable territory with anything much past 30psi and their bottom end and rods were a lot stronger than the Dmax Jr.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4x4
59 Posts
I'd dial down that boost. The full size were considered entering questionable territory with anything much past 30psi and their bottom end and rods were a lot stronger than the Dmax Jr.
I've been into 50psi for the last 5000miles. I'm not concerned. I think you underestimate proper tuning and the LWN guts.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon CC 4X4, 2020 Chevy Z71 CC 2WD
419 Posts
Rapidly running out of time to get ready for my overland adventure next weekend. Changed the oil in the Canyon and I'm still working on the diy bed rack. Strictly temporary and probably just for this one trip, I used a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood, bed lined it and mounted it to the rack. This will give me a place to put the tent, sleeping bags, tarps and sleeping pads and maybe a 5 gallon water tote. Strap it all down snug and leave room in the bed for everything else. It ain't perty and eventually I'll add a sheet of diamond plate and bedline it for a more permanent solution. I left a section of exposed rail on each side for tool mounts and tools later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
In my estimation they probably perform similarly. I think the coilover is just far more convenient and looks sharper/stronger. I believe both pistons are 46mm which leads me to believe they are similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. With the pro lift you need a spring compressor to remove your old strut upper and lower perch and top hat. Take those off along with the springs (unless you get the eibachs with their springs) and transfer them to the eibach struts. Unless you have a heavy front bumper or winch, the highest setting you can set the strut to is the second notch from the bottom. Just to warn you though, just by doing that I felt like it threw my angles off and ended getting new upper control arms too. I just went with the freedom offroad UCAs for $360 because I don't offroad. Don't forget to add a diff drop, longer endlinks and/or sway bar drop.

Reactions: Skrongbed

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would agree. With the pro lift you need a spring compressor to remove your old strut upper and lower perch and top hat. Take those off along with the springs (unless you get the eibachs with their springs) and transfer them to the eibach struts. Unless you have a heavy front bumper or winch, the highest setting you can set the strut to is the second notch from the bottom. Just to warn you though, just by doing that I felt like it threw my angles off and ended getting new upper control arms too. I just went with the freedom offroad UCAs for $360 because I don't offroad. Don't forget to add a diff drop, longer endlinks and/or sway bar drop.
My plan was to eventually get the Eibach Pro Truck Lift kit, set it to the 2.7" notch that most people are running here, and do an add a leaf in the rear. I also planned on doing the diff drop, and sway bar drop. So you're saying the UCA angle will still be fairly extreme after all that?

·
Registered
238 Posts
My plan was to eventually get the Eibach Pro Truck Lift kit, set it to the 2.7" notch that most people are running here, and do an add a leaf in the rear. I also planned on doing the diff drop, and sway bar drop. So you're saying the UCA angle will still be fairly extreme after all that?
I just put it in on Saturday on the 2" notch, doing the same thing with add-a-leaf and diff drop, but just end links for my sway bar. For what it's worth, the UCA angle is already affected at 2", so I have to imagine it's more severe with 2.7". I think the general consensus is that it's not necessary at 2.7" but you might want to add it in down the line depending on how it's wearing.

Reactions: Bearcat90

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
550 Posts
Took my heap on a quick camp on my farm. I typically don’t photograph my camping so forgive my camera skills.

I had a great view of my southern holler from my shelter. Got to try out my homemade cooking grate as well. Deer sirloin killed last year was really good.
38922561-4F9F-4739-B27F-D1A080346D4E.jpeg

978F9BD0-231E-4354-B716-6E8109AD7F38.jpeg
5BF21791-ACB7-47D5-B42C-640A4D59C6AD.jpeg

Just got back from the car wash and discovered a bad cv joint. It never ends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just bought (finally) a new set of wheels and tires! They are being shipped to my local shop from florida since apparently that was the only place that had the wheels I want in our bolt pattern. Ill keep this post just a tease without getting into what specifically I ordered until they get here and I get them mounted around the middle of next week.

17761 - 17780 of 17795 Posts