Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

17341 - 17360 of 17449 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed my new Bison Grille! I did have to remove the whole bumper as the clips on the bottom were way too stubborn to get it off with only the bumper loosened on the sides. I also painted the backing plate on the sports bar blue instead of the stock red.
Now all I'm thinking of which bumper to buy next :unsure:
20200613_162004.jpg 20200628_163756.jpg 20200628_195320.jpg 20200613_162036.jpg Resized_Snapchat-1256725129.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plasti dipped the Colorado emblems and the fog light bezels. We'll see how it holds up. My first rodeo with plasti dip. Looking to black out some of the chrome bling. I need to pick up some toothpicks or a spudger tool to get the plasti dip out from the middle of some of the letters. Any tips or tricks, let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Serviced the rear diff and transfer case fluids today at 48k. Rear diff oil was pretty dark and the drain plug had about a teaspoon of material collected on it so not too bad. Put in non-LS, synthetic AC Delco 75w90.

Transfer case fluid looked basically good as new, still nice and red. Probably could've gone another 50k and been just fine, so I probably will leave it alone until it's time to do the timing belt at 150k.

Didn't do the front diff since the posts I've read have indicated that the fluid looked new and didn't need to be changed too often.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Serviced the rear diff and transfer case fluids today at 48k. Rear diff oil was pretty dark and the drain plug had about a teaspoon of material collected on it so not too bad. Put in non-LS, synthetic AC Delco 75w90.

Transfer case fluid looked basically good as new, still nice and red. Probably could've gone another 50k and been just fine, so I probably will leave it alone until it's time to do the timing belt at 150k.

Didn't do the front diff since the posts I've read have indicated that the fluid looked new and didn't need to be changed too often.
My rear differential did not have near that much collected on the drain plug. It was the second time I changed it however. Even so, on first change, it was still not that bad.

Question: Gear oil always has such a wonderful aroma. My wife hates it. I understood it when the oil was dinosaur fossil created, but with synthetic oil, why does it have the same smell?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
My rear differential did not have near that much collected on the drain plug. It was the second time I changed it however. Even so, on first change, it was still not that bad.
I wouldn't say it was bad or an unexpected amount, the gear oil wasn't black like it was burnt, it was just dark like used oil from a gas engine. Keep in mind I've probably towed 12,000 miles so far and have worked the truck hard going up grades doing so. Our travel trailer is 5,000LB and nearly flat-faced and over 10ft tall and 8.5 feet wide.

Question: Gear oil always has such a wonderful aroma. My wife hates it. I understood it when the oil was dinosaur fossil created, but with synthetic oil, why does it have the same smell?
It's sulfur from the modifiers used in gear lube. The AC Delco fluid has grape scent added so it really doesn't smell bad at all. :D[/quote][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
I wouldn't say it was bad or an unexpected amount, the gear oil wasn't black like it was burnt, it was just dark like used oil from a gas engine. Keep in mind I've probably towed 12,000 miles so far and have worked the truck hard going up grades doing so. Our travel trailer is 5,000LB and nearly flat-faced and over 10ft tall and 8.5 feet wide.

It's sulfur from the modifiers used in gear lube. The AC Delco fluid has grape scent added so it really doesn't smell bad at all. :D
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE] I haven't towed nearly as hard as you have.

Great, grape scent - my wife hates that smell as well. (I don't find the basic gear oil smell bad at all.)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I haven't towed nearly as hard as you have.

Great, grape scent - my wife hates that smell as well. (I don't find the basic gear oil smell bad at all.)
I'm hoping the synthetic gear lube does better, AFAIK the factory fluid is conventional. I guess we'll find out around ~100k! :D

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
I'm hoping the synthetic gear lube does better, AFAIK the factory fluid is conventional. I guess we'll find out around ~100k! :D
I was thinking that there was a thread here that said GM had changed the recommendation to synthetic. I ran synthetic when I changed mine the first time. I didn't see any real difference on either change, maybe the magnet was a little dirtier the first time, but nothing that noticeable.

I did have a new rattle Saturday afternoon when I went driving about. My wife insisted it was up fromt, passenger side, maybe even outside. I told her I was only under the rear, nothing under the hood. Sunday morning I dug under her seat, found the lint roller and a couple of other items she had shoved under the seat. Re-positioned them, never heard another noise.

I am impressed how well my truck with 100K miles is performing. It is starting to develop a few rattles, but wife's Nissan with 30K has more rattles than my truck full of tools and stuff has at 100K.

If I can get another 5-6 years out of my truck, I will be happy. I am guessing the miles are going to be much lower, in the second half of the decade of ownership. With life one big Zoom video, I am almost ready to terminate my office lease and turn my home into a hermitage.

But Zoom seems to be the only way to see a smile anymore. A few weeks ago, as restaurants were just starting to open a little, I went into a Firehouse Sub to get a carryout. This cute little girl, probably about 4-5 years old, had her mask off eating at one of the 2 tables they had in use. Her face lit up into the most beautiful smile at seeing another human being, even if I was behind a mask. It was a joy to see, and took everything this grandpa could do to not just grab her and hug her. Her mother said she missed her friends and seeing people.

·
Registered
2019 Z71
24 Posts
I put a new wix air filter in her today. Lots of dirt road driving in the mountains here makes for a sandy mess.

Also trying to talk myself out of buying and installing a kicker L7t sub and amp setup for the inner kid in me. Headed on a 1500 mile trip this week so I’m sure I’ll have plenty of road time outside of my 80 mile a day commute to pick apart the sound quality. 😊

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I have about 6 months until I turn 40, and I'm beginning to think I turned my truck into my midlife outlet. Here's what I've done in the last 2 months:
  • Tinted front windows
  • Black fender flares
  • Changed front and rear gold bowtie to black with 3M vinyl wrap
  • Stark Industries decal - reason, because I'm pretty much Ben Wyatt from Parks and Rec
  • Swapped out gold Chevy bowtie center caps with generic black and silver Decepticon emblem - didn't realize Etsy sold more than homemade lace doilies.
  • Replaced front speakers with kicker 6x9 and rears with 6 3/4. 10" hideaway subwoofer under the back seat
  • Having the Chevy OEM front leveling kit installed on Friday

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replaced front speakers with kicker 6x9 and rears with 6 3/4. 10" hideaway subwoofer under the back seat
What brand is that hideaway sub and do you think it could be squeezed behind the rear seat?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put a roll on bed liner in yesterday. Applying the material was actually fairly straightforward and less messy than I had heard. But the bed prep was much more difficult than I had heard. The scuff pad was not nearly aggressive enough. I spent 4 hours with a random orbital sander and did some hand sanding in places the machine wouldn’t reach. The gallon of liner material was way more than I needed for one heavy coat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
  • Replaced front speakers with kicker 6x9 and rears with 6 3/4. 10" hideaway subwoofer under the back seat
do you feel it was worth it with the OEM amp?
been on the fence - but did not want the trouble of installing a dedicated speaker amp.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
What brand is that hideaway sub and do you think it could be squeezed behind the rear seat?
It’s a Kicker Hideaway HS10. I’ve seen some with the 8” installed behind the seat but not the 10”. I did a slight mod to the plastic base that holds the jack, basically traced where the 10” curves and cut the base so the sub fits and is held in place without straps. That was the only way to get it to sit flat so the rear seat doesn’t press on it when down. No mods needed with the 8” but will say I’m much happier with the extra power/base from the 10”.

·
Registered
103 Posts
51,000 service planning / prep (just a bit late)
  • ordered 4 quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 for the diffs (51k), a fluid pump, and 6 month membership from Amsoil - $90
  • ordered 2 quarts Mobil 1 124715-1 Synthetic LV ATF HP for transfer case
oh, can't forget that all important in-cab air filter.

next is planning AT drop and swap

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Today, I drove to work and took a little cargo to the store my wife was managing
Still lost on your way to the Silverado forums, I see. You do know that the Colorado and Canyon are not Silverados or Sierras, right?

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Even though I HATE working on exhausts, I ordered the Borla cat-back system. Summit has it on sale for $749 with free delivery. Did I mention I hate exhaust work? I f*cking hate it.
Your gonna hate when the hangers don't match

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
View attachment 392600 View attachment 392600 ] View attachment 392601 View attachment 392600 View attachment 392601 Somebody take my credit card away! I put on LED taillight assemblies. Smoke black looks fantastic on my black truck.
Once AGAIN I have to ask, Who's tail lights are those PLEASE! This is why I don't hang out on this forum. People show off their mods but don't help anyone else out like its top secret info or something. I'm not expecting an answer since I'm being so nice.

17341 - 17360 of 17449 Posts