Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

14801 - 14811 of 14811 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
For large vinyls, try wet application instead. For small stuff, the dry method works great.

Get a spray bottle full of distilled water, add 1 drop (not kidding, only one) of dish soap to it. This reduces the surface tension and allows the water to form a sheet under your decal. Wash your hands and remove rings. Spray your hands with the spritz bottle, this will allow you to handle the decal without it sticking to you. Peel off the backing and spray all the exposed adhesive. Apply the adhesive to the surface. Then use a 1$ silicone spatula (the type from walmart) head and use it to work the water out from under the vinyl. Start from the middle and work your way outwards. If you get done and there's still small water pockets under the vinyl, don't freak out!! Park in the sun for a week or two when you go to work, the water will evaporate through the pores in the vinyl and stick perfectly flat to the car.

The best part about this method is you get more than one try, compared with the dry method where it sits wherever you stick it the first time and there's no way to peel it off without stretching. The wet method will allow you to carefully peel it off and try again if needed. Do it in the shade and use plenty of water spray and you'll be fine.

I striped my Miata this way and it was much easier than I expected it going into the job.
Thanks for the tips, went smoothly,

She also got washed, clay bared and sealed,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Today I wondered how well my Canyon would pull a 25ft trailer across the country. My parents are too old to use their trailer and offered it to me, they live in CA and I live in NY. I'm seriously considering driving down in the first half of 2020 and bringing it back here. I believe it weighs about 4500lbs dry, it's a double axle, and 8ft wide. Feel free to convince me to go get it, or not to!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Today I wondered how well my Canyon would pull a 25ft trailer across the country. My parents are too old to use their trailer and offered it to me, they live in CA and I live in NY. I'm seriously considering driving down in the first half of 2020 and bringing it back here. I believe it weighs about 4500lbs dry, it's a double axle, and 8ft wide. Feel free to convince me to go get it, or not to!
DO IT! Get new tires on the trailer and tow mirrors on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14801 - 14811 of 14811 Posts