Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
23661 - 23680 of 23759 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I decided I hated my old hook on my winch. On my last recovery the hook latch thing got bent and I couldn't find a replacement piece (stupid sheet metal), so i upgraded! Old one had to be cut off with a cutting wheel but the new one just fits so nice. i did pinch the crap out of my hand when i reeled in the winch line.. funny thing is the hook has a pinch warning on it too.. ugh

got myself a factor55 ultra hook and its real slick compaired to my old (and now broken) hook

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison
153 Posts
I decided I hated my old hook on my winch. On my last recovery the hook latch thing got bent and I couldn't find a replacement piece (stupid sheet metal), so i upgraded! Old one had to be cut off with a cutting wheel but the new one just fits so nice. i did pinch the crap out of my hand when i reeled in the winch line.. funny thing is the hook has a pinch warning on it too.. ugh

got myself a factor55 ultra hook and its real slick compaired to my old (and now broken) hook
Looks good! Really funny to see this, I was just watching YT vids on Factor 55 and they kept giving the example or the sheet metal bending or snapping on traditional winch hooks to sell their product. And I kept saying to myself, sure, this happens, but how often?!? And then there’s your post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
hahaha funny how that works out right? the hook is really nice, titanium pin could not have been easier to install to the line, and its strong. this thing is a little larger but weirdly lighter than the smaller hook it replaced.

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison
153 Posts
hahaha funny how that works out right? the hook is really nice, titanium pin could not have been easy to install to the line, and its strong. this thing is a little larger but weirdly lighter than the smaller hook it replaced.
Designed by aerospace engineers using super lightweight and durable aluminum.

I can go on quoting the ads if anyone wants! Watched like 8 of them last night thinking about buying a hook after the soft shackle on the end of my winch line ended up frozen to my tow hook when I needed to winch some guy out of ditch in a snowstorm a couple weeks back. Didn’t like the old fashioned tow hook I had on there originally, it clunked around loud as could be on all surfaces and of course worst of all off road. Line would always lose just enough tightness with time that the hook was swinging and clunking.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
you should totally get a factor55 hook or other winch attachment things they have. I think they are now owned by Warn, but the hook oozes quality. I went for the ultrahook because I like the look of a winch hook, but also having that d-ring part too is very nice for soft shackles

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison
153 Posts
you should totally get a factor55 hook or other winch attachment things they have. I think they are now owned by Warn, but the hook oozes quality. I went for the ultrahook because I like the look of a winch hook, but also having that d-ring part too is very nice for soft shackles
Ordered it yesterday

·
Registered
493 Posts
Finally sacked up and installed my prinsu roof rack. started at 11 and went till i ran out of daylight at 530. Still have the final 3 crossbars to threadlock and install but the hard part is over. Had to drill 12 3/8" holes in my cab which always sucks to drill/cut sheetmetal on your truck. Then had to pull the weatherstripping in the doors to stick a shopvac in the headliner and remove all the shavings. Then had to install 12 rivnuts with an inadequate rivnut tool with too short of a shank and had to make my own mod out of a fender washer to make it work. Went crazy with silicon sealer on the rivnuts when installing and then sealed the aluminum spacer standoffs to all the rivnuts. Then i had to cut my cab weather stripping to make room for the racks feet, and reinstall that. Finally assembled the rack and installed on the mounts. Nerve wracking, sketchy, and tough job standing on a ladder all day and drilling into your truck and praying you dont miss a spot with the silicon sealer. But, it was worth it cause the end result is a rock solid, versatile, low profile, and i think good looking roof rack. I just wish the twins came with pre-drilled holes and nuts like the toyotas do. only reason to be envious of a taco IMO. anyway, here are the pics. ill post again tomorow with more angles once i get the last 3 crossbars installed.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Fluid Water Wood Circle Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sports equipment Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Property Motor vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
493 Posts
Bolted up the last three crossbars and put on the anti noise trim on the wind deflector. Officially done with the install now.

Sent from my S21 while driving with my knee and speeding past toyotas

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,045 Posts
Cleaned her out from my Christmas trip. Added a "Backseat Bunker" from Duluth Trading to the cab side of the GFC, for some neat storage. Just poked through the material and used the misc spare mounts from the GFC to hang it. Nice long pouch in the middle is great for long stuff like the fishing pole and my Red Ryder long rifle 😂. Shuffled some other things around and freed up space in other spots. Also realized, I should have sprayed off the roof when I washed the truck yesterday. 🙃

Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison
153 Posts
Met my match today in the muddy, muddy hills of southern Oregon. Stuck, winch, stuck, winch, stuck, winch. Still had a great time. Once I made it back up to the ridge where folks were hanging out, made buddies with a dude who just put 53s on his F250 and then took a ride up the mountain with him. Gotta go rest my legs and sit in a warm bath after trudging up and down a muddy mountain all day. And from climbing in and out of that giant truck!

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
579 Posts
Ordered the S&B CAI kit for my ZR2 and then thought, what else. So I ordered the magnaflow overland exhaust as well. If I'm gonna have better air in I might as well have it come out better too
Also ordered a hood protector from Amazon which supposedly has damaged packaging but product is good. It's the Aeroskin II and I picked it up for half price so we will see how well that pans out Thursday when it gets delivered. Still was amazon prime with free returns so if it's damaged then no harm on my side.
Now to figure out mudflaps and a front light mounting system to add fogs near the front plate area. I don't want any light bars on the truck. Just pods as needed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Met my match today in the muddy, muddy hills of southern Oregon. Stuck, winch, stuck, winch, stuck, winch. Still had a great time. Once I made it back up to the ridge where folks were hanging out, made buddies with a dude who just put 53s on his F250 and then took a ride up the mountain with him. Gotta go rest my legs and sit in a warm bath after trudging up and down a muddy mountain all day. And from climbing in and out of that giant truck!

I just recently saw some of his YT videos. That thing is awesome.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
666 Posts
Did figure eights in a praking lot to try and figure out why it doesn't feel right. It seems like making a right circle ends up a little tighter than a left hand one. It also groans doing the right hand circle, almost like if 4wd is on but not nearly as loud. I'm guessing it's got something slightly tweaked on the driveline...

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison, duramax diesel and completely stock .
183 Posts
Ordered a set of Rockblokz mud flaps for the BISON . Will help with the door splash and dirt on the roof of the tow behind teardrop .

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I hauled my 92YO mom to a doctor appointment. She is a little cantankerous and never wears her hearing aids. The front desk asked for her birthday and she assured them that yes indeed it is a beautiful day. I directly answered the next question and they looked to me for answers after that. It all went well. She was having more trouble getting around and that was tough to see.
What comes around goes around though. See below...

I'm an older dad and the only son gave us a call this morning. He talked about random subjects which was odd as he is careful and we cannot contact him during work at home hours. When the conversation slowed he informed us that he and the GF are engaged. We sort of expected this but were still surprised by the timing none the less. I am not contacting famly as it sounds like he wants to surprise Grandma/Sisters himself.

Future DIL is wonderful BTW. Cool stuff.

CB

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,179 Posts
I hauled my 92YO mom to a doctor appointment. She is a little cantankerous and never wears her hearing aids. The front desk asked for her birthday and she assured them that yes indeed it is a beautiful day. I directly answered the next question and they looked to me for answers after that. It all went well. She was having more trouble getting around and that was tough to see.
What comes around goes around though. See below...

I'm an older dad and the only son gave us a call this morning. He talked about random subjects which was odd as he is careful and we cannot contact him during work at home hours. When the conversation slowed he informed us that he and the GF are engaged. We sort of expected this but were still surprised by the timing none the less. I am not contacting famly as it sounds like he wants to surprise Grandma/Sisters himself.

Future DIL is wonderful BTW. Cool stuff.

CB
I understand about aging parents. I am still fortunate that mine are both alive but are in their mid 80's

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Would be great to see some detailed pics, thanks. What’s your tool/s of choice for cutting?

Here's an album with a few closeups of the cut lines, pinch weld cut and seal and the double trim in the back. I started with a small zip saw/mini recip saw, but it was a crappy HF tool and the blade was burning up and slow. It's a clean cut, so a good version of the tool would probably be the right choice. I ended up doing 90% with a grinder and cutoff wheel. It certainly works and it's fast, but you have to be sure of yourself and work quick, so you don't burn up the paint.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 93Duc and ABBB
23661 - 23680 of 23759 Posts