Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
23341 - 23360 of 23455 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,981 Posts
Today I finally got around to replacing the front brake pads.
It was 39,329 miles since I had the complete set of Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Carbon Cermanic Pads installed all around.
The pads still had more meat on then the factory ones did when I replaced them at 42,156 miles. I was feeling a heaviness in the front end(almost like in 4 wheel drive) and did not want to have to replace pads in the middle of the winter.
Brown Rectangle Material property Wood Gas
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Gas Composite material

The passenger side the stainless stell bracket was not seated properly. Probably causiing some pressure issues.
The driver side the pins were so stick it was insane.
Everything I used some really good brake grease when reassembled.
Tin Automotive tire Fluid Aluminum can Tin can

Might look into pricing replacement caliper pins. For both front and the rear and now make sure I spend some time taking them apart evey so often and greasing the back of the pads and the pins up.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
501 Posts
Semi finished product

Installing tomorrow after they fully cure overnight. Then if all goes well in a few weeks I may take them back off and truck bed coat them for now. Off of some basic measurements the bottom of the main tubes will be even with the bottom of the frame. Basically lowered the main tube by 1-1/2" with the modified brackets. That should give some toe room to actually step on them. So here's to hoping it all looks good as well as functions well. I already put them to use in Colorado back in may so I'm sure I'll get some abuse testing next spring or so.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm thinking I like this. Plenty of room to just step on them and is basically even with the bottom of the frame. Doesn't stick out weird either. In my opinion it looks like how a slider step should look.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Added AEV Transfer Case Skid Plate. Just waiting on the Transmission Skid plate….that’s on back order…very easy install

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Ext. Cab 2WD, V6
411 Posts
I'm thinking I like this. Plenty of room to just step on them and is basically even with the bottom of the frame. Doesn't stick out weird either. In my opinion it looks like how a slider step should look.

They look very good. What brand are they? Do they attach directly to the frame instead of the pinch point like other brands?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,064 Posts
They look very good. What brand are they? Do they attach directly to the frame instead of the pinch point like other brands?

Thanks in advanced.
He modified Zr2 sliders to achieve this. He’s posted a few updates over the last week in this thread. Looks nice!!

·
Registered
501 Posts

Thanks in advanced.
They are the original equipment zr2 rock sliders. I modified the mounting brackets to drop them 42° so they look like in the pictures. Also swapped the solid plate from what became the bottom of them to the top for added traction area.
So to answer your other question, they still mount to the backside of the rockers like most do. They do not go to the frame. This was a quick modification to get somewhat of a step and slider in one package for next to nothing on cost for me.
They do work but are still close to the body when getting out of the truck all you can fit on it is your heel.

Another option I'm looking into is making a set of quick removal steps to put on the original, un-modified, sliders to have steps for the gf when not off-road.
Still I'm pretty happy with how these turned out and she will be trying them out on Thanksgiving day. If they pass her approval then I guess I'm done

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
834 Posts
Added AEV Transfer Case Skid Plate. Just waiting on the Transmission Skid plate….that’s on back order…very easy install
A suggestion for you: When you get the transmission skid, remove the transfer case skid, assemble everything on the ground so it's almost snug, and install it as one unit. It's almost impossible to get to some of the bolts while it's on the truck. Check out my build thread if you want pictures and more explanation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A suggestion for you: When you get the transmission skid, remove the transfer case skid, assemble everything on the ground so it's almost snug, and install it as one unit. It's almost impossible to get to some of the bolts while it's on the truck. Check out my build thread if you want pictures and more explanation.
Thanks for the tip! Will check build thread.

Reactions: Y E T I

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
They are the original equipment zr2 rock sliders. I modified the mounting brackets to drop them 42° so they look like in the pictures. Also swapped the solid plate from what became the bottom of them to the top for added traction area.
So to answer your other question, they still mount to the backside of the rockers like most do. They do not go to the frame. This was a quick modification to get somewhat of a step and slider in one package for next to nothing on cost for me.
They do work but are still close to the body when getting out of the truck all you can fit on it is your heel.

Another option I'm looking into is making a set of quick removal steps to put on the original, un-modified, sliders to have steps for the gf when not off-road.
Still I'm pretty happy with how these turned out and she will be trying them out on Thanksgiving day. If they pass her approval then I guess I'm done

Those door ding protectors came out great!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nothing today, yesterday, or the day before.... my 2016 Colorado has been at the dealer since last week getting the wiring harness replaced. I kept getting the random "service 4wd" message, or a message telling me to slow down and shift into neutral to shift into 4WD Low. They diagnosed the harness as the issue and have been waiting on parts. I shouldn't complain because I've not had any other issues with this truck in 6+ years, but it's annoying that I've had the 4WD dash switch replaced twice, the 4WD actuator replaced once, and now the wiring harness all for the same issue. Hopefully this is the last of it. The first dash switch replacement was under warranty, I've had to pay out of pocket for everything else.

23341 - 23360 of 23455 Posts