Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
23141 - 23160 of 23385 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
489 Posts
Eh it’s a windshield I really wouldn’t know the difference. It was covered by insurance. He came out and did while I was work and it looks good.
He told me it wouldn’t have the GM logo before he came out. I’m pretty sure if I had wanted it he would have ordered it but it would have been a while till it came in. This one he got next day. I was kinda in a hurry to get it done since it spread from the passenger side across to the drivers side in less then 24hrs because of the cold/hot temps we been having
After it was installed he told me it’s was OEM fit and finish and other then logo you can’t tell the difference. Also it was ready to go without any kind of wait time to drive it or wash it. Not that I was washing t anytime soon anyway.
So obviously I have no clue why it would be important.
Is there a big deal with windshields?
Usually comes down to the thickness of the glass and the harness of the outer layer. Thinner means it's more likely to crack from small impacts and spider crack across.

Sit, Ubu, sit.

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
1,934 Posts
Finished the GFC lighting, made new switch panels (temp for upcoming trip), added cig and USB sockets, cleaned everything up. Pretty satisfied with that, for a rough draft. The switches are on-off-on to manage the red and white LED's at each location. The passenger side has its own single switch for the side door. BTW, the lighting is not blue. The camera can't seem to handle the white balance.

Blue Wheel Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas

Blue Purple Hood Line Gas

Also fixed my Propex heater. For some reason it would shutdown after about 4 seconds, then flash four times. Manual said combustion intake/exhaust blockage. Turns out the HS2211 has different codes than the HS2000. I was using the HS2000 manual for initial troubleshooting, thinking the codes would be the same. They are definitely not. Pulled both hoses, didn't see any blockages, so I shot some compressed air as best I could into each hole on the heater then fired it up "open headers" and she ran fine. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Threw the pipes back on and she fired up again with no issue. Strange. Only thing I can think of is there is some sort of airflow sensor than was dirty, and the compressed air cleaned it off. Who knows. I'm just glad it works again.

Also found out my Swiss Link aluminum box fits pretty damned good in the step area next to my drawer.

Blue Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas Trunk

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a beautiful day in south Texas. Should have gone fishing. But ....

I believe every truck should have an air horn. Since this is a mini truck to me, compared to all the others it gets a mini air horn. (Notice: FOR OFF ROAD AND ALARM USE ONLY) ;)

Had this in the junk drawer, intended for the Optima, just never happened.
View attachment 386988

Needed a place to mount it. Looks like right next to the factory horn is room and good location.
View attachment 386989

However needed some kind of bracket to mount with. Started with strip of soft metal in the junk tub. Visualize something that would work. Start bending, cutting and drilling. Can do a lot with a vise, hammer, pliers, drill and a dremel. I did paint it before installing.
View attachment 386990

Used some pieces of wiring harness out of junk drawer. Fed the harness to the battery through the space under the front cross member that the Radiator mounts to. Completely out of the way and hidden. Made the jumpers for the relay. Tapped the positive wire to the factory horn for the relay trigger.
View attachment 386991

Connected it all up. Fingers crossed hoping I wasn't going to nuke the ECU or a control module.

View attachment 386992

No electrical issues.:cautious: Turns out the factory horn is reasonably loud. This one did not add much. I will probably look for something with a few more decibels

Tomorrow I think I will go to my aunt's ranch in the hill country and play off road some.:D.
Do you have the Wiring layout for this for the loop? What's the positive color coming from the horn wire? is that the gray wire?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Installed the second solar panel, cleaned up the wiring from the pass through for both sides, and $hitty DIY tinted the rear glass with some Vatozone 5% tint. With weak sun, the solar was pushing about half the wattage ~100 of the 200w available. I now have a surplus of solar with the fridge pulling ~60-70w on a first chill cycle. Happy with that. The second panel was just a tiny bit crooked, and the VHB tape just grazed the surface and locked her in. She ain't going anywhere. 😂 Gonna run the larger DC-DC supply wire after the sun goes down and call it a day. Aside from the steering, she's ready to start packing.

Hood Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fixture Windscreen wiper

Window Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Window

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Forgot to mention, if anyone is looking for The Best stick on zip tie mounts, these are leaps and bounds better than anything else on the market. Yes, it is $80 for 100, but soooo worth it. And this is significantly cheaper than a lot of places that carry these. I removed a couple that I didn't need and it took nearly all my grip strength to pull it off. It's what GFC uses to run their brake light wire. And I used them to run all the wiring throughout the GFC.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
That’s a sweet camper man. Love all the beefy bracing.
Vhb tape is awesome when applied correctly. I became a believer when I saw them using to to affix EXTERIOR aluminum panels to that giant scyscraper in Dubai. Apparently using rivets won’t work due to expansion and contraction, and the vhb will move with the aluminum panels. Not my go to but when it’s required or appropriate I don’t hesitate to use it.

Reactions: hoooogan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That’s a sweet camper man. Love all the beefy bracing.
Vhb tape is awesome when applied correctly. I became a believer when I saw them using to to affix EXTERIOR aluminum panels to that giant scyscraper in Dubai. Apparently using rivets won’t work due to expansion and contraction, and the vhb will move with the aluminum panels. Not my go to but when it’s required or appropriate I don’t hesitate to use it.
Thanks! It really is a work of art. I'm glad I took the leap. Gonna be spending some quality time with her next week and the week after. All she needs is some brainstorming to figure out how to use all the extra space.

VHB is amazing stuff. When I first started using it, I bought the 30# Extreme duty tape. I put a single square inch on a Windex bottle and stuck it to the back of a solar panel. Nearly tore a hole in the Windex bottle, trying to take it off. And that was just a quick wipe clean for prep. 3M's promo video had a customer saying they use it for aluminum panels on trailers. One of their trailers went through a tornado and none of the seams failed.

I use VHB everywhere I can. It's just so much better, and you don't need to drill a hole and worry about fasteners.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Forgot to mention, if anyone is looking for The Best stick on zip tie mounts, these are leaps and bounds better than anything else on the market. Yes, it is $80 for 100, but soooo worth it. And this is significantly cheaper than a lot of places that carry these. I removed a couple that I didn't need and it took nearly all my grip strength to pull it off. It's what GFC uses to run their brake light wire. And I used them to run all the wiring throughout the GFC.

Sure $80 for 100 seems expensive but not when you get 2000 for $1340!

Sit, Ubu, sit.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Anyone want to split a bag of 100, even a 4 way, PM me and I'll order them, ship usps.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
577 Posts
Usually comes down to the thickness of the glass and the harness of the outer layer. Thinner means it's more likely to crack from small impacts and spider crack across.

Sit, Ubu, sit.
Curious, mine is already the easies chipping/scratching/cracking windshield I've owned... How much worse can it get? :LOL: 51k miles and its sand blasted worse than the original 300k mile one on my 03 with more chips and cracks too. Thing seems to attract rocks like no ones business too...

Reactions: BlueLaser17

·
Registered
489 Posts
Curious, mine is already the easies chipping/scratching/cracking windshield I've owned... How much worse can it get? 51k miles and its sand blasted worse than the original 300k mile one on my 03 with more chips and cracks too. Thing seems to attract rocks like no ones business too...
Not saying aftermarket won't be better but by rule of thumb the aftermarket units are generally about a mil or two thinner due to OEM designs allowing for it. Plus there are the optional glass types that are available aftermarket and even Chrysler is getting on with the gorilla glass windshields available on the wranglers. A 9h hardness will help prevent the sand blasting but on a more intense impact it's likely to spider crack instantly vs a softer material. Pros and cons to both types so as far as I'm concerned I will replace with a premium aftermarket if/when I need to. Not likely to go with OEM since even my side windows all around are scratched just from winter salt and some from the first owner which was likely the same thing.

Sit, Ubu, sit.

Reactions: littleblazer

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
577 Posts
Not saying aftermarket won't be better but by rule of thumb the aftermarket units are generally about a mil or two thinner due to OEM designs allowing for it. Plus there are the optional glass types that are available aftermarket and even Chrysler is getting on with the gorilla glass windshields available on the wranglers. A 9h hardness will help prevent the sand blasting but on a more intense impact it's likely to spider crack instantly vs a softer material. Pros and cons to both types so as far as I'm concerned I will replace with a premium aftermarket if/when I need to. Not likely to go with OEM since even my side windows all around are scratched just from winter salt and some from the first owner which was likely the same thing.

Sit, Ubu, sit.
The replacements I've had are generally pwg or pgw... don't remember which way it goes. (Been told they are probably some of the better ones) one of them had a GM stamp followed by pgw to boot lol. The 07 had a lot of windshields. Almost 1 a year iirc. The one chip on mine was from an acron. I watched it happen. That was a wtf moment. That is Crack number 3 on the colorado and I'm still waiting for an oem windshield...

Thank you for the clarification!

Reactions: BlueLaser17

·
Registered
489 Posts
Used the truck to do truck things and take 45gal worth of nuts and bolts to the scrap yard as well as some other scrap after work today. So much more room for activities!

Sit, Ubu, sit.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
822 Posts
Sky Plant Car Infrastructure Vehicle

The Canyon is taking me and the fam on vacation this week. Our first stop was in Helen, GA and we will be making our way to Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway today.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 WT
18 Posts
Dropping her off a friends shop to install my RC Levelling Struts. Wanted to make sure they get done right and don't trust myself to follow instructions, lol. Will post some pics after I pic her up.

23141 - 23160 of 23385 Posts