Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
23121 - 23140 of 23142 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
556 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding and start to it. I've seen people run ridiculously large gauge wire for it like they had a 100A circuit they were putting in. Just didn't want to see another super overkill setup for no reason.

Sit, Ubu, sit.
Yeah its a 1500 watt inverter but the truck won't even quite run it that hard so even 14 is overkill honestly. Having AC lines all over the truck scares me but a double jacket should be fairly safe. Just getting it out of the cab is a little tricky. But then I have a setup in the truck and can keep batteries in the tool box in the bed which is ideal imo.

Reactions: BlueLaser17

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
404 Posts
Yeah its a 1500 watt inverter but the truck won't even quite run it that hard so even 14 is overkill honestly. Having AC lines all over the truck scares me but a double jacket should be fairly safe. Just getting it out of the cab is a little tricky. But then I have a setup in the truck and can keep batteries in the tool box in the bed which is ideal imo.
Not sure how it is where you are but here in Missouri we keep having wild temp swings and I have had condensation on metal objects under the rear seat in my CC. Wild swings with high humidity. I pulled a ratchet strap out and was wondering how the hell it was wet but only the metal objects did it. Just something to keep in mind as that area is fairly sealed up so things stay cooler in there from a cool night. Meaning if you plan on mounting it there, which is about the only place to do so, you may want to improve the ventilation for the cooling of the inverter as well as temp control so it doesn't get wet from condensation like my tools did

Sit, Ubu, sit.

Reactions: littleblazer

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
556 Posts
Not sure how it is where you are but here in Missouri we keep having wild temp swings and I have had condensation on metal objects under the rear seat in my CC. Wild swings with high humidity. I pulled a ratchet strap out and was wondering how the hell it was wet but only the metal objects did it. Just something to keep in mind as that area is fairly sealed up so things stay cooler in there from a cool night. Meaning if you plan on mounting it there, which is about the only place to do so, you may want to improve the ventilation for the cooling of the inverter as well as temp control so it doesn't get wet from condensation like my tools did

Sit, Ubu, sit.
The inverter has been under the seat pretty much since I bought the truck and so far so good. Daytime has been mid 70s here with nights in the 50s. Nothing too drastic yet but next week looks like wide swings lol. I have thought of a small fan on the sides of the under seat storage box with a vent on the other side to help with cooling but even in the summer when I've used it it stays hardly warm to the touch. So I am and am not that worried about it lol.

Reactions: BlueLaser17

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
Use weatherproof bulkhead connectors and for a standard 15A supply you could use 16awg copper wire over 15ft. So no need to go overboard with it. Steer clear of running extension cord if possible to longevity of it. Cord jackets don't generally hold up well with road conditions. Specially if you're in the salt belt regions.

OEM is usually 16-14awg wire to bed outlets. 18-16awg for in vehicle outlets. Still total amp draw for the whole circuit is 15A in most cases. If you are doing a plug in option as well then maybe step it up to 14awg for the bed to cover up to a household style 20A breaker supply. In which case I would put that plug-in the gasser fuel fill door blank area since it's already a capless fillet and won't matter if the door is left open either.

Projects like this leave a lot of room for variations and make them fun to me! Have fun with the headaches that will result in the process of designing, location best product, and pricing

Sit, Ubu, sit.
It's probably a non issue, but having 110v right beside the fuel inlet scares me. I've seen enough sparks from plugging / unplugging household items.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Swapped the steering rack again. Then went back to work on wiring the lights in the GFC. So far so good and got a couple of them nearly ready for final tidy up on a temporary switch panel. Still need to build the rear harness for the hatch, passenger side door and the third brake light. Strangely, the wires for the third brake light are about a 12 awg, but the light only draws 0.28amps. 🤷🏻‍♂️ slightly oversized is an understatement.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Blue Hood

Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive design Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Swapped the steering rack again. Then went back to work on wiring the lights in the GFC. So far so good and got a couple of them nearly ready for final tidy up on a temporary switch panel. Still need to build the rear harness for the hatch, passenger side door and the third brake light. Strangely, the wires for the third brake light are about a 12 awg, but the light only draws 0.28amps. 🤷🏻‍♂️ slightly oversized is an understatement.

View attachment 417264
View attachment 417265
Are you talking about the steering rack you just installed (last week, I think)? Why did you have to swap it out again?

EDIT: Never mind - just read your on going thread. Man, you've sure had your issues with that thing!!! For those of you who haven't read his tail of woe, go here and start at the beginning:

Steering Rack Woes

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
747 Posts

View attachment 417264
View attachment 417265
Rave in Hoooogan’s truck bed!!!
Mouth Gesture Pink Cartoon Art

·
Registered
19 CC V6 Bison,
139 Posts
Trying to figure out a safe way to get my inverter wired into the bed and be able to turn on and off...
Interested in seeing how you put this together. What will you be running off the inverter and what would the max amperage draw be?

I recently wired for a 750W/1500W inverter with roughly fifteen feet of 2 gauge solid copper wire directly from my battery (70 amp Blue Sea breaker in line at the battery end), inside the frame rail, exiting at the rear of the cab and up through the front left bed grommet and to an Anderson connector mounted on the rear of my tool box. Maybe overkill, but I had the wiring on hand from a previous farm project that involved a winch. In addition to the inverter, I also use this as a hookup point for my 12V compressor (Superflow MV90, rated at 45A) and a 12v LED work lamp. This past weekend, I topped off the camper's batteries using my shop charger set to 20 amps (worked well and much easier than dragging the Honda genset along - just gotta find a lower amperage or cordless curling iron for the missus).

FWIW, some time back, I had another inverter permanently wired into a weatherproof box on the front of the camper and it failed due to condensation even though protected from contact with external moisture. All my electronics now ride under the rear seat of the Colorado or inside the camper.

Looking forward to your solution and results. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
306 Posts
Had a new windshield installed in the Canyon today. Thankfully it was completely covered by insurance.

Started pricing out and ordering parts for the cap. I’ll be getting load bars, feet and a tray that will combine to make a half rack for a fraction of the cost of some roof racks I was looking at. Plus most of those roof racks would have required the load bars and feet anyway to mount them.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The cracks "in the black" are such bullshiit. If you repair each chip immediately, you can prevent cracks. I know, because I live in AK and have 12 repaired chips in this windshield without cracks. But you can't see the ones in the black without a thorough inspection every day. Sure enough, last May, the crack propagated from an impact site in the black.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
306 Posts
The cracks "in the black" are such bullshiit. If you repair each chip immediately, you can prevent cracks. I know, because I live in AK and have 12 repaired chips in this windshield without cracks. But you can't see the ones in the black without a thorough inspection every day. Sure enough, last May, the crack propagated from an impact site in the black.
Yeah there was no saving this windshield. The impact happened on the interstate and cracked immediately spread across the windshield.
Never saw what hit me and it hit so hard it scared the crap outta me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Loaded her up and made her squat. Who says short boxes aren't useful?

Sent from my S21 while driving with my knee and speeding past toyotas

·
Registered
196 Posts
Had my truck undercoated with black fluid film. Took down spare tire, washed underside of bed too.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
404 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Had a new windshield installed in the Canyon today. Thankfully it was completely covered by insurance.

Started pricing out and ordering parts for the cap. I’ll be getting load bars, feet and a tray that will combine to make a half rack for a fraction of the cost of some roof racks I was looking at. Plus most of those roof racks would have required the load bars and feet anyway to mount them.
Did you get it replaced with a GM windshield or an aftermarket?

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
306 Posts
LOL, I won't post what I would have told him. :censored:
Eh it’s a windshield I really wouldn’t know the difference. It was covered by insurance. He came out and did while I was work and it looks good.
He told me it wouldn’t have the GM logo before he came out. I’m pretty sure if I had wanted it he would have ordered it but it would have been a while till it came in. This one he got next day. I was kinda in a hurry to get it done since it spread from the passenger side across to the drivers side in less then 24hrs because of the cold/hot temps we been having
After it was installed he told me it’s was OEM fit and finish and other then logo you can’t tell the difference. Also it was ready to go without any kind of wait time to drive it or wash it. Not that I was washing t anytime soon anyway.
So obviously I have no clue why it would be important.
Is there a big deal with windshields?

23121 - 23140 of 23142 Posts