Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21401 - 21420 of 21441 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Our desert running destroys wipers. I've been getting good life out of the PIAA ones. The set on my 4Runner survived a year here and a year in Colorado before finally giving up.
For sure. I tried PIAA on my Tacoma and they didnt last as long as I had hoped. Maybe a year. I've just come to terms with the fact that i'm a wiper eater. :LOL:

·
Registered
401 Posts
What are the devices on the floor? I take it they facilitate aiming/aligning your lights?

Looks great btw, like the look of the Gen1 front end with the lights on like that.
I think those are reflections from the lights reflecting off his oily garage floor.
I think it’s some type of reflection from the camera on my phone. I’m somewhat new to a smartphone and I don’t know how to set the camera up properly.
It's an artifact from the camera sensor. You'll see this when photographing very bright lights with a camera.

You can see it in this photo, my 30" bar creates the artifact at the headlight level and my ditch lights create the artifact at the fog light level

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's an artifact from the camera sensor. You'll see this when photographing very bright lights with a camera.

You can see it in this photo, my 30" bar creates the artifact at the headlight level and my ditch lights create the artifact at the fog light level

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
I thought they were reflections initially, but zoomed in as best I could and could have sworn I saw an electrical cable going to them. Then again, I’m viewing on a mobile device and not even a laptop level screen.

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,287 Posts
I find laying under my truck meditative and peaceful. 😁

I assume you are serious - but I actually do too (and my wife thinks I’m nuts, maybe I am).
I usually enjoy it as well when I’m performing routine maintenance or inspections but building these custom parts has been rather time consuming.

It’s sad how long it takes me to build even the most simple of my designs. ☹

·
Registered
211 Posts
I usually enjoy it as well when I’m performing routine maintenance or inspections but building these custom parts has been rather time consuming.

It’s sad how long it takes me to build even the most simple of my designs. ☹
i'm sure you've covered it somewhere, but what does the solar panel on your hood charge? I have a panel about that size and it can barely charge my cell phone, so i'm curious what kind of performance you're seeing there.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i'm sure you've covered it somewhere, but what does the solar panel on your hood charge? I have a panel about that size and it can barely charge my cell phone, so i'm curious what kind of performance you're seeing there.
It’s there to keep my battery topped off between camping trips. I will sometimes go a few weeks without using my Colorado and then on a whim plan a camping trip. It’s nice to have everything ready to go at a moments notice. I’m also one of those weirdos that preps for stuff. It’s probably an undiagnosed mental illness. 🤪

I’m not seeing a lot of amps (.5) during the day but it keeps my voltage steady at approximately 13.06 overnight. It’s definitely not going to charge a fully dead 105 amp hour battery in a hurry.

This is a shot from my driveway on a mostly cloudy day. Volts look good but I bet I’m not getting hardly any amps (don’t really need them since it’s fully charged). It says 14.14 but the picture didn’t take very well. 🤷🏻‍♂️
A1D74862-BD62-43F7-80E9-5D9074E3CDC7.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
61 Posts
Damn, y'all are lucky with the wipers. I run through 1-2 sets per year. Last year we broke 200 days without measurable rainfall and I still had to swap blades. Truck sees so much dirt and dust that it just eats up the wipers. I've used a bunch of different ones from cheap conventional frames to silicone beam blades and they all end in the same fate. I'm currently on Silicar brand Silicone beams from Amazon. They work fine... But how long? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I blow through probably 2-3 gallons of washer fluid a year, though... Speaking of which, I probably need to re-up that.
Arizona?
Yea, it was very hot and dry last year, my first year out here... Had to adjust quickly. In a year I went from -20 in Chicago without wind-chill... Walked 1 mile to work... To 115 in AZ... Bloody oven!

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
644 Posts
I actually installed my new wiper blades just now. Went with RainX since they were having a sale and they look really good. No pictures because just wipers

·
Registered
86 Posts
At 93K miles I flushed 6.5 quarts of old tranny fluid and replaced it with full synthetic Dexron VI. The first time I tried I messed up the exhaust nuts and could not drop the pan so I only replaced 3.5 qts. I had to cut the exhaust hardware off this time around to drop the pan - all went welI. Fill-up was a breeze through the Lokar fill/dipstick I installed. In 7K miles I will do it one more time and replace the filter and pan gasket and she'll be good to go for another 50K miles.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I use Rain-x xtreme clean on our windshields about every 3 months or so,it is goes on like a polish/wax, seems to fill in the pits from sand and whatever puts pits in the windshield, and clean them with Rain-x winshield cleaner..

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,476 Posts
Damn, y'all are lucky with the wipers. I run through 1-2 sets per year. Last year we broke 200 days without measurable rainfall and I still had to swap blades. Truck sees so much dirt and dust that it just eats up the wipers. I've used a bunch of different ones from cheap conventional frames to silicone beam blades and they all end in the same fate. I'm currently on Silicar brand Silicone beams from Amazon. They work fine... But how long? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I blow through probably 2-3 gallons of washer fluid a year, though... Speaking of which, I probably need to re-up that.
Well I find that keeping a layer of wax on the windshield works wonders.
My aforementioned TransAm yes was garage kept, but in the rain I hardly had to use the wipers. Water would bead off and you could watch it go up the shield, across the T-Tops and down the rear hatch window.
My Colorado, I replaced the factory wipers with Bosch Icon. That set is going strong. My Colorado is out in the elements all year round in New York, No garage for it. But, gets the waxing at the car wash at least every week 1 time. So water flies off the windshield, Don't have to use my wipers much.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
451 Posts
Took my truck to discount tire to get my wheels rebalanced (my vibrations at 60+ have gotten worse). I went to check my wheels afterwards and noticed that they scratched the insides pretty good removing the old weights? Like damn that ruined my day. Its a free service they offer on tires purchased through them but god damn they scratched em up pretty good. Looks like they went at my black powder coat with a wire brush... wtf is that! What’s the proper reaction to this? Or am I overreacting. Btw yes my wheels are dirty I was driving some dirt roads yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What’s the proper reaction to this? Or am I overreacting.
I wouldn't sweat it personally. It sure does look like they took a wire wheel to it though. As long as my vibrations were gone I'd be happy.

The next time I went back I might mention it but if you off-road much they are going to get scratched up anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would never think of using a wire brush on a customers wheel, crusty ones I might use a Scotch bright and brake clean, I would make a call.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Took my truck to discount tire to get my wheels rebalanced (my vibrations at 60+ have gotten worse). I went to check my wheels afterwards and noticed that they scratched the insides pretty good removing the old weights? Like damn that ruined my day. Its a free service they offer on tires purchased through them but god damn they scratched em up pretty good. Looks like they went at my black powder coat with a wire brush... wtf is that! What’s the proper reaction to this? Or am I overreacting. Btw yes my wheels are dirty I was driving some dirt roads yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Discount Tire is a stand up company and regularly active here. I would contact the shop and just honestly tell them you're disappointed and ask what they can do.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Arizona?
Yea, it was very hot and dry last year, my first year out here... Had to adjust quickly. In a year I went from -20 in Chicago without wind-chill... Walked 1 mile to work... To 115 in AZ... Bloody oven!
Vegas. I moved from Oregon. Not quite as dramatic, but I also moved in late June. It was 106° here and my A/C **** itself in Reno, which was over 100° there. 7-8 hours further in a black on black leather GMC Typhoon, loaded to the roof. I drank 2 gallons of water and four 32oz gatorades on the drive. Didn't pee once. It was quite the experience that I hope to never do ever again.

Well I find that keeping a layer of wax on the windshield works wonders.
My aforementioned TransAm yes was garage kept, but in the rain I hardly had to use the wipers. Water would bead off and you could watch it go up the shield, across the T-Tops and down the rear hatch window.
My Colorado, I replaced the factory wipers with Bosch Icon. That set is going strong. My Colorado is out in the elements all year round in New York, No garage for it. But, gets the waxing at the car wash at least every week 1 time. So water flies off the windshield, Don't have to use my wipers much.
That would definitely be helpful, but we don't get the water that falls from the sky. It's 99% windshield washing from the dust and bugs. It's basically just wiping 1000 grit sand paper all the time. 😂 And my follow habits on trail don't help. I tend to keep pace even when it's thick dust.

·
Registered
141 Posts

I’m enjoying the idash actually letting me know how much fuel my diesel still has in the tank when the LOW message comes on. It’s nice to see the fuel percentage turn red when it drops below 10% on the idash. Now I don’t have as much anxiety of letting my diesel run out of fuel when this happens.

21401 - 21420 of 21441 Posts