Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21361 - 21380 of 21441 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
861 Posts
Regarding the conversation about the tie rod sleeves.
On my Jeep I always upgrade whatever I break.
when I broke a U-joint in my rear driveline I almost bought some really badass U-joints which are way stronger. The old guy who worked at Olympic 4x4 advised against it. He said it’s way better to break a U joint than twist a driveline up or break other parts that are less easy to repair. I took his advise and bought a coupe spare standard U-Joints instead.
sometimes making the weak link the easiest cheapest thing to fix is a method. Honestly I will never wheel my Colorado like you guys do unless I’m running from a natural disaster as I have a old Jeep to beat up but it’s really cool seeing what you guys go out and do with our trucks.
So happy I got into yet another vehicle with so much aftermarket support, fans and a true following.

·
Premium Member
2021 White DCLB Z71 Duramax
47 Posts
Installed these today. I'm running them on the white bushing which is the 25% increase in spring and I have to say it reminds me a lot of a progressive spring now much much smoother once my Bilstein 5160 show up for the rear and 6112 for the front I'll be good to go. In case anyone's wondering the only reason why I put these on my truck is because I have a ladder rack a decked cargo system all my electrical tools wire and other consumables that I carry on a day-to-day basis.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Installed the Peak 2.0 rear shocks today to help with the ride due to having a constant load in the bed of the truck. Pain in the butt, took about 2 hours but the difference is huge! Doesn't feel like I'm driving a turtle around anymore. :)

Next up, rear leafs...whenever they finally ship.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,288 Posts
Final mock-up of my brush guard before I throw some paint at it. I put the mounting point in a double shear for strength. It’s strong enough for deer at the speeds I run.

I’ll get those lights wired up this week hopefully. I gotta read the shop manual to figure out how to tie them into my high beams. 🤷🏻‍♂️

AD5A0BFB-4260-4F1B-BE9F-F69E299E47F0.jpeg
8FE9880E-B71B-4799-88C3-51CF00216A4B.jpeg

·
Registered
861 Posts
Final mock-up of my brush guard before I throw some paint at it. I put the mounting point in a double shear for strength. It’s strong enough for deer at the speeds I run.

I’ll get those lights wired up this week hopefully. I gotta read the shop manual to figure out how to tie them into my high beams. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 409294 View attachment 409295
That looks good man- my .2 on how I would integrate the lights-
I would run a new fused power lead out to a relay, let the high beam power trigger that relay.
you could then put a switch on the ground for that relay so you can still select if you want them to come on with high beams or not- this would ensure you are not pulling power off your high beam circuit, give you the power to the lights only when high beams are on, and allow you to select if you want justhigh beams or both. Or forget the switch for the relay ground and you’re off to the races.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That looks good man- my .2 on how I would integrate the lights-
I would run a new fused power lead out to a relay, let the high beam power trigger that relay.
you could then put a switch on the ground for that relay so you can still select if you want them to come on with high beams or not- this would ensure you are not pulling power off your high beam circuit, give you the power to the lights only when high beams are on, and allow you to select if you want justhigh beams or both. Or forget the switch for the relay ground and you’re off to the races.
Thanks. 👍🏻

I don’t think I’m going to add in a switch since my truck is really just for camping. It’s actually kinda rare for me to be on the road after dark. I really can’t justify buying those lights but I just wanted them I guess. 😏

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok then Just a fused power out to relay, trigger relay from high beam power to run aux lights.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ok then Just a fused power out to relay, trigger relay from high beam power to run aux lights.
That makes sense. I just gotta find the high beam circuit now. For some reason I thought it was going to be harder than that.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I installed a AEV fuel tank skid plate. Not a difficult install (unless you drop one of the brace bolts down inside the skid and have to remove all the front bolts to drop the plate down so you can fish the damn thing back out), even without a lift or an extra set of hands. I used a hydraulic jack and 2x4 to hold the rear of plate up while putting in the front screws and for positioning of the side and rear braces. Because my truck was built before the Bison became available, I had to drill 4 holes, two of which required my right angle drill. All in all, it took over two hours but I did some other stuff while under there like hit rust spots on the chassis with paint and fixed an exhaust leak I discovered.

One note: you can not use this skid plate unless you have the AEV transfer plate because there are 5 mounting points on the transfer skid for the fuel tank skid.

Carry on.

View attachment 409294 View attachment 409295
Being on the front and thus exposed to rocks and other debris, you might want to coat it with a bed liner product instead of paint.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Being on the front and thus exposed to rocks and other debris, you might want to coat it with a bed liner product instead of paint.
Yeah. That’s what I meant. I use this Herculiner spray on stuff and it works pretty good.

D0B7B68C-A1AF-467F-BC3F-9249B2665C3A.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
250 Posts
Worked on getting my flares assembled so I can install them. Only got three of the four done. The rubber trim is a pain to get on. Finally found a easer way just as I was finishing the third one. Also one of the nylon nuts is missing it’s nylon insert so gonna have to go to store and get a new one.
Also trying to fix my rear seats. They front material on the starts is not “joined” were they separate. I can’t figure out how to join them. Figured I would remove the seats from the truck and do it. Only to realize that there is cloth that covers the bolts that has to be attached underneath the seat after you bolt them together but before you join them. Pain in the butt.
Anyone got tips or suggestions?
If need be I will take photos tomorrow of what I mean.
Also apparently my Jack isn’t mounted properly where it should be. Guess the last owner used it and just tossed it back in.
I can’t figure it out. Any one know where I can find info how how it goes back in?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not necessarily today, but through out the weekend,
gave the truck its much needed oil change after 7000 miles, followed up with some AEV Transmission and Transfer case skid plates. Had to drill 2 holes in the frame, and one in the rear cross member to get all the bolts in. Thanks to the thread that said to install these as one unit, other wise i would have been futzing around trying to make it work in two pieces. Then followed up with the R1 Concept Slotted Geomet rotors and offroad pads. Look forward to taking this thing on more trails and seeing how everything goes with the additional protection and braking power. Will follow up with some pictures

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Decided to do a quick buff job. My last adventure took me down an extremely overgrown trail that pinstriped the sides pretty bad. Was only looking to cut it down so they aren't as noticable. I'm fine with the truck being a 10 footer, but it was looking like a 40 footer. 😂 The last pic shows the bad one that actually creased the fender a bit.

I am no detailer. This was maybe my third time behind a buffer and I only did one pass. Used what I had which was a harbor freight variable speed buffer with an orange pad and Meguiars ultimate compound. The pinstripes are still there, it just blends in better than before. Last pic is post the quick buff. I could easily spend a number of hours getting it fully cleaned up, but I'll be back on trail next weekend, getting more stripes. I'll probably throw a coat of wax on it though.

PXL_20210502_022514768.jpg
PXL_20210502_022914664.jpg
PXL_20210502_023939721.jpg
PXL_20210502_024930680.jpg
PXL_20210502_032658058.jpg

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Finished the brush guard project this morning. The wiring ended up being the easiest part of the project. The herculiner dried overnight so I decided to wrap things up.

I went with the advice given by @MrCamo when I got the supplied wiring harness laid out. I was surprised that Lightforce included an adapter that was plug and play for my high beams. It was designed to work just like the way described by MrCamo. I did end up using the switch because the lights wouldn’t work without it. I reckon it’s not bad having a switch so I can choose to not use them with the high beams. Just gotta get them aimed but that’s best done at night of course.

I’ve used Rigid, KC, Baja Designs, etc...over the years and Lightforce has the best quality wiring harness I’ve ever worked with. It’s a cut above imho.

Anyway...I’m basically done and I’ll test it in a week or so when I head to Dolly Sods for a camp.

9544EDB9-C985-4A12-A7A7-B2EEB87E0325.jpeg
26FF8A28-998D-4FD2-99FD-498C263C4846.jpeg
B25D6153-E3BD-4B3A-9961-B63C17198EEF.jpeg

21361 - 21380 of 21441 Posts