Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

20221 - 20240 of 20355 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,152 Posts
Quick day trip through the mountains south east of Kingman, AZ. Checked out the Gold King Mansion. Trails were super fun with some technical spots. Lots of flexy spots and some decent rock crawling. Even scraped a few times, taking a couple of the optional "Pro Lines".

I'm sad to announce that the truck still sucks balls in 4LO, from a stop, even with the 4.56 gears. I got into a spot where I needed the truck to climb straight up about 2ft. Foot went to the floor and she didn't move an inch. I fkn hate the damn 4Lo tune in this thing. I managed to get her moving by bumping into the climb, but still... a 57:1 final ratio in first gear/4LO should easily roast all four tires when you floor it. I literally had zero power with my foot to the floor. I could probably have made the crawl in 4HI, as it doesn't reduce power, but didn't think about trying till after we were back on pavement. Much disappoint. I need to figure out how to shift into 4LO without the truck knowing, and subsequently be able to engage the front locker as well, since it's a 4LO feature. I'll take a quick DTC code over zero power any day.

Here's the single pic I took today.

View attachment 405290
I had no idea the power would be reduced in 4 low. That’s absolutely stupid.

I can’t imagine having no power in 4 low.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
391 Posts
Quick day trip through the mountains south east of Kingman, AZ. Checked out the Gold King Mansion. Trails were super fun with some technical spots. Lots of flexy spots and some decent rock crawling. Even scraped a few times, taking a couple of the optional "Pro Lines".

I'm sad to announce that the truck still sucks balls in 4LO, from a stop, even with the 4.56 gears. I got into a spot where I needed the truck to climb straight up about 2ft. Foot went to the floor and she didn't move an inch. I fkn hate the damn 4Lo tune in this thing. I managed to get her moving by bumping into the climb, but still... a 57:1 final ratio in first gear/4LO should easily roast all four tires when you floor it. I literally had zero power with my foot to the floor. I could probably have made the crawl in 4HI, as it doesn't reduce power, but didn't think about trying till after we were back on pavement. Much disappoint. I need to figure out how to shift into 4LO without the truck knowing, and subsequently be able to engage the front locker as well, since it's a 4LO feature. I'll take a quick DTC code over zero power any day.

View attachment 405290
Holy crap what were they shootings that sign with? I can only imagine a shotgun at point blank?

also I’m sure you all nanny modes off?

Reactions: 5678ta

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I had no idea the power would be reduced in 4 low. That’s absolutely stupid.

I can’t imagine having no power in 4 low.
Ya, it sucks and I've been in more than a few occasions where this happened. Best I can come up with is the code/tune is set up in a way to prevent wheel spin by very slowly ramping in power. Logically, it makes sense to reduce the shock load on the drivetrain and potential for breakage. It only triggers when you are stopped. If I'm moving, I can stomp it and she takes off hard. We have deep first gears with a good 4LO ratio, so having ALL the power would be catastrophic for lesser experienced driver's.

I've mentioned this several times in the past and someone always mentions a pedal commander, but no one has ever answered the question of "does it help in that situation?" From my understanding, the PC ramps throttle progression. My foot was to the floor, so I was wide open. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Holy crap what were they shootings that sign with? I can only imagine a shotgun at point blank?

also I’m sure you all nanny modes off?
Maybe a slug? I think the area is hunting range, so who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️ BTW, everything automatically turns off in 4LO. But yes, offroad mode on, stabilitrak off. Both lockers on.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,152 Posts
having ALL the power would be catastrophic for lesser experienced driver's.
You nailed it right there.

I deleted all my torque management and traction control to have absolute control and predictability but haven’t broken anything as a result. I want all the power and torque at my disposal at all times. I installed aftermarket lockers to further enhance my control over my truck. Adding twin sticks took it a step further. Again, no broken parts as a result.

It’s an absolute shame people with a need are limited by the least capable.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You nailed it right there.

I deleted all my torque management and traction control to have absolute control and predictability but haven’t broken anything as a result. I want all the power and torque at my disposal at all times. I installed aftermarket lockers to further enhance my control over my truck. Adding twin sticks took it a step further. Again, no broken parts as a result.

It’s an absolute shame people with a need are limited by the least capable.
I would love to see if that is even possible on the 2nd Gen. I saw a video a few months back about a guy mentioning a company that reprogrammed his Silverado's BCM to add/remove/do whatever you wanted. I may need to find that video again and reach out. I would love to kill all traction control on my truck and remove that stupid bit of code in the tune. Thought the regear would have helped to overcome the crutch, but I guess not.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
1,003 Posts

View attachment 405290
Did you sign the guest book on that podium?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would love to see if that is even possible on the 2nd Gen. I saw a video a few months back about a guy mentioning a company that reprogrammed his Silverado's BCM to add/remove/do whatever you wanted. I may need to find that video again and reach out. I would love to kill all traction control on my truck and remove that stupid bit of code in the tune. Thought the regear would have helped to overcome the crutch, but I guess not.
Are you guys holding the Traction Control switch down for the 10-12 seconds it takes to completely disable TC? I've experienced the "dead" throttle when playing in deep sand but I didn't have TC completely turned off, after holding to TC button for about 12 seconds it was better.

There are Torque Management tables in the ECM/TCM that limit torque to the transmission.

Reactions: OperaDude

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 dmax
58 Posts
Got the new 4.10's broken in and new fluid flushed along with installing GM Inline Speedometer Calibrator (17-18 Colorado / Canyon) . With the calibrator it shifts great and if I change tire sizes again it'll be a simple re-program for everything to read properly on the speedo. Definitely wouldn't consider a re-gear or big tires complete without this little thing or something similar.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Over the last few months I installed a full Audiofrog frontstage 6x9s, 2 1/2 dash mids, tweeters, 3 amplifiers, 10" sundown sub, processor, fully sound deadened the interior, and painted some interior panels.

Now that the interior is pretty much done, I just ordered the shock relocation kit and leveling kit.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Wow, that's intense. What made you choose those locations for sound deadening ? I'm interested in a quieter cabin as an improvement, but it's definitely satisfactory to me as it is.

·
Registered
99 Posts

After finishing the wiring up a couple days ago, I got the Switch Pros SP9100 fully installed on the PowerTray, triggered, powered, and basically done. One of the most technical projects I've ever tackled on a vehicle, but also rewarding.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
496 Posts
View attachment 405343

After finishing the wiring up a couple days ago, I got the Switch Pros SP9100 fully installed on the PowerTray, triggered, powered, and basically done. One of the most technical projects I've ever tackled on a vehicle, but also rewarding.
Wow, that is some seriously clean wiring!

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71
143 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that do for you?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that do for you?
No worries. It's all prep right now, but it will distribute power to all lights and accessories added in the future. Each of those numbered switch wires corresponds to a button in the cab. Each button can be electronically amp controlled and additionally acts like an electronic circuit breaker if that amperage is exceeded. The Blue Sea Systems is an additional fuseblock for power hungry devices (like a dual ARB) that exceeds the max amperage allowed by the SwitchPros. So the SwitchPros will control the trigger wire, and the actual power will flow through a 50A fuse on the fuseblock (physical fuse, unlike the electronic circuit breakers of the SP9100)

I have a planned use for each of them. Some people prefer to install the devices first, and then the controller, but after going that route on my Jeep, I didn't like the rats nest it created and wanted to install the controller first this time, and then wire everything to that.

Nothing hooked up. Inverter is on the brown santa truck right meow for install this week. Also running RG58A/U RF cables for future antenna/radio installs, since I'm already going to drill through the firewall at the clutch knockout.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71
143 Posts
For someone like me, to whom all electricity is FM (f**king magic), and who, if it were possible, would have TEP turn off all of Tucson in order for me to change a light bulb and not get the s**t knocked out of me, I'll take you at your word :) Anesthesia I can do. Electricity, not so much!

·
Registered
99 Posts
For someone like me, to whom all electricity is FM (f**king magic), and who, if it were possible, would have TEP turn off all of Tucson in order for me to change a light bulb and not get the s**t knocked out of me, I'll take you at your word :) Anesthesia I can do. Electricity, not so much!
haha Anesthesia is PFM to me, no worries. I've had to learn most of this myself. There's a reason professional shops exist to do this kind of stuff, but I'm stubborn and enjoy the failinglearning experience

Reactions: JayH and gherbert
20221 - 20240 of 20355 Posts