Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than custom made, what brand of load bars do you guys use in the bed of your truck for a RTT? I'm looking to have the top of the RTT sit at about the same height of the top of the cab while driving. Found some load bars by Front Runner but wondering ~$400 is a good price for something so simple.

Attachments

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Other than custom made, what brand of load bars do you guys use in the bed of your truck for a RTT? I'm looking to have the top of the RTT sit at about the same height of the top of the cab while driving. Found some load bars by Front Runner but wondering ~$400 is a good price for something so simple.
I'm getting the ones by 589 Fab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/truck-racks

These put the RTT higher than the cab because the gas filler tube on the inside of the bed won't allow for a lower adjustment. I used it this way a few times and I liked the tent up high (tree house, my wife says), but decided to modify the post by cutting about 9 inches off and retooling the bottom piece (to retain locks and original look) with a rotary (Dremel) tool. Now it sits mostly behind the cab with about 2-3 inches above. And I still have enough room to load all my gear in Action Packers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What is RTT?

Roof top tent. On SUVs you mount them to the rack on top of the vehicle. For trucks, you need some sort of rack system for the bed of the truck, which is what this thread discusses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GANCanyon

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
If you have any welding or fab shops near you just stop in with a few pictures of simple RTT racks and ask them if they can do it. I had a friend do mine and it was $60 worth of material.

Here is the rack before paint and mounting. Just some old plate steel for mounts and new box steel for the hoops.

Im going to have him weld in some side bars to hold a couple of Rotopax for drinking water and shower water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.