Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
741 - 760 of 793 Posts

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Stayed three nights at a State Park which is located nearby. Having a regen in a 64 mile short tow really cuts the MPG--only 14 per the trip calculator.

On the last night I decided to cut power to test the batteries overnight since I've had power connections all year. At 9:00 p.m. I turned the furnace down to 50 in high 30s weather so that it wouldn't cycle on/off too much while I was sleeping. They passed, but not that much of a test (but I was once sent out by CruiseAmerica with batteries that wouldn't have passed that test.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
It wasn’t the heaviest load ever, but I used a friends landscape trailer to bring home a log splitter a friend had been holding for me. About six hours on the road both ways and the truck did beautifully. I may think about picking up another pop up camper for fishing weekends!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Compared to what you guys are hauling this is nothing, but here ya go...........

Fetching fuel for my antique airplane. A 100 gallon tank in a trailer with pump, filter, hose, grounding lines and so on all there in the trailer with the tank. Fully loaded and refueled it's only a thousand pounds or so. I also use the truck to tow my 1500 pound utility trailer when bulky homeowner/hobbyist loads come up. The truck has towed various borrowed or rented trailers now and again also. It does a fine job. This is the first and only truck I have owned in 60 years of driving so I cannot make wise comparisons to other trucks like some of you, but I like the truck and think it's a nice ride.
Very cool, my mom flew a Stinson and a Fairchild and others back in the 1930's. I tracked down three of her aircraft through the registry and one was actually on the cover of Vintage Aircraft magazine. One is in pieces, so as far as I can figure two are flying or flyable. Sorry for going OT but had to interject when I saw this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First post, lurker in SoCal. Just got a 2019 Denali (that’s nothing like my old full size Denali unfortunately)
basically traded my Toyota Sequoia for the new rig.
got 13 mpg driving the sequoia down to pick up the canyon, got 33.8 driving it back.
Had my first tow (nervously) of my 20’ Skeeter, 130 miles round trip, and up and down a winding 7° grade for a portion of the run. This was the section of worry for me. All that worry was for naught. I renamed the truck to “Mighty Mouse”, as that little 4 banger diesel just drug the 3700 lb skeeter without barely breaking a sweat. As I pulled into my driveway at the end of the day, I was more that pleased to see I got 20.5 mpg. That is just sick..
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

K

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I’ve got the bug for another boat and was looking at the Tracker V-18WT. It’s listed at 3875 lbs for the boat and trailer Package. Adding fuel and gear it’d probably be 4500 lbs. Looking at the labels on my ‘21 3.6 Gasser I’m seeing 6000 lbs GVW less 1434 lb limit on the tire sticker.
If my math is sound, 6000 less 1434 leaves 4566 as the trucks weight. Adding 400 lbs for people and maybe another 300 for misc gear, I’m at 5266 Lbs.
Adding 450lbs trailer tongue weight (4500 x 10%) I’d be at 5716lbs which is close but still under max.
How well do you more experienced members feel the truck would do as a tow vehicle for this boat?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I think I’ve got the bug for another boat and was looking at the Tracker V-18WT. It’s listed at 3875 lbs for the boat and trailer Package. Adding fuel and gear it’d probably be 4500 lbs. Looking at the labels on my ‘21 3.6 Gasser I’m seeing 6000 lbs GVW less 1434 lb limit on the tire sticker.
If my math is sound, 6000 less 1434 leaves 4566 as the trucks weight. Adding 400 lbs for people and maybe another 300 for misc gear, I’m at 5266 Lbs.
Adding 450lbs trailer tongue weight (4500 x 10%) I’d be at 5716lbs which is close but still under max.
How we’ll do you more experienced members feel the truck would do as a tow vehicle for this boat?
I'm often critical of how much people tow, but I have no problem with that selection. Boats are easier. Less tongue weight, less wind resistance. My travel trailer is about 4,500 pounds loaded and I'm within limits. You'll get better fuel mileage towing than me, possibly even with a gasser.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Snow Vehicle

Been hauling sleds on this open trailer for a few years and thinking of moving to either a 7x16 inline snowmobile trailer or a 6x12, 6x14 aluminum enclosed. the open trailer acts as a speed brake and the truck gets horrid mileage! not to mention salty roads really beat up the sleds

·
Registered
383 Posts
Great thread. @c4racer , @SapphireRacing , I read a bunch of your posts in past threads about towing open trailers + race cars, very useful. I'm wondering for those towing 5500 lbs on flat roads, what are your typical RPMs, 2700 I saw posted in another thread? Also any strong feelings about 5 vs 6 foot bed? I'm preferring the 5 foot bed since the users of the truck will be parking sometimes on city streets here in Chicago. Appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Just wanted to add that with our 5,000 lb GWR Airstream, on our long for us (2 month) road trips, we have found that managing payload by transferring things like full coolers and other relatively heavy and easy to transfer items to the trailer is useful. We try to add weight just in front of the trailer axle. Just takes a few minutes, but we have the tongue weight, RAW, and payload all dialed in very close, with a theoretical 1,000 lb margin to max GCWR. We use WD of course, and have a very stable towing experience even with heavy crosswinds that have big rigs fighting sway.

I have reduced the size of our propane tanks, and plan on removing the BedSlide (hate doing that since is very useful), and cutting back to one instead of two 120W solar panels to give us more payload margin. Might even travel without a generator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With my previous V6 Colorado I towed my small jet sled all over and you would hardly know it was back there.

I also put it to the test towing a friends foxbody home and was very impressed with how well it towed.

Just upgraded to the duramax and really looking forward to how it tows. The V6 towed what I needed great but looking forward to the extra torque and lower rpm pulling the big hills when heading out of town.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oh sick im too much of a coward to do wheel to wheel so i do autocross and track sprint.
Sorry for dredging up an old post, but if you like track sprint, consider trying out time trial/time attack. SCCA, GridLife, and NASA all have pretty good programs and decent (albeit differet!) classing structures that all will work with a Toyobaru in various states of modification.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Per the towing guide the weight limit is 3,500 pounds, but that's not as bad as it sounds because the limiting factor is usually tongue weight and payload. AFAIK those are unchanged.

That said I've never driven a 4 Cyl. gasser, so I don't know how well that engine would actually tow that weight. Clearly that is the weak link for towing with that engine, not the frame/suspension/axles/brakes.

741 - 760 of 793 Posts