Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
701 - 716 of 716 Posts

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Here's another article showing 900 up to 2017 and 770 after that. I haven't been able to find the 2018 towing guide, but the 2015 I found also said 1000.

The article notes the downgrade but does not explain what happened to cause a change.

·
Registered
2021 LT 4x4 V6
7 Posts
Ha ha, I had a feeling the tongue max depended more on the maze of GM corporate lawyers and documentation teams.

Would love to hear from an actual engineer on the team.
Here's another article showing 900 up to 2017 and 770 after that. I haven't been able to find the 2018 towing guide, but the 2015 I found also said 1000.

The article notes the downgrade but does not explain what happened to cause a change.
I'm guessing lawyers and marketing. :LOL:

If the twins can handle 900-1000lbs on the tongue, why bother with a 1500?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
If the twins can handle 900-1000lbs on the tongue, why bother with a 1500?
I never looked at full size GMs, but I assume there's a wide variety of payloads possible, like with the F-150.

But yeah, I'm pushing my tongue weight number, so the fact that they once thought it more makes me a bit more comfortable. Still I'd like to know the reason for the change.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts

·
Registered
6,099 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
I'm guessing the method of calculations changed. sae j2807 assumed driver and passenger, 150lbs each, and I think 65 lbs of hitch equipment in earlier revisions. Loosely using my 2017 with a stickered payload of 1472 - 300 - 65, they probably took the heaviest variant of the twin and gave it a 900lb rating - which was hitch maximum. The later revisions of sae j2807 included a clause that stated tongue weight is 10% for conventional towing. Since the other parameters (acceleration, control, and braking) limited the vehicle to 7000 lbs, they probably just did the 10% math and limited the tongue weight at 700.

2c guess - not a sae engineer. lol

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
747 Posts
I'm guessing the method of calculations changed. sae j2807 assumed driver and passenger, 150lbs each, and I think 65 lbs of hitch equipment in earlier revisions. Loosely using my 2017 with a stickered payload of 1472 - 300 - 65, they probably took the heaviest variant of the twin and gave it a 900lb rating - which was hitch maximum. The later revisions of sae j2807 included a clause that stated tongue weight is 10% for conventional towing. Since the other parameters (acceleration, control, and braking) limited the vehicle to 7000 lbs, they probably just did the 10% math and limited the tongue weight at 700.

2c guess - not a sae engineer. lol
This seems like the logical explanation for the de-rate. Which means it must be wrong, cuz the rabble rousers will have none of your logical tomfoolery.
Head Facial expression Vertebrate Cartoon Organism

Reactions: SapphireRacing

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
I'm surprised Dieseldrax hasn't chimed in. As I recall his truck may be one with the higher tongue weight.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Or GM can save 5 cents on each truck putting on a lesser hitch receiver. ;-)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'm surprised Dieseldrax hasn't chimed in. As I recall his truck may be one with the higher tongue weight.
Yup, but I have nothing to add. Typo or spec change, we'll never know unless a GM engineer that knows comes along and says something. If my hitch and owners manual say 900lb max then who am I to argue? If newer years say 700 or 770 then it is what it is. No parts changed, so it must've been a test or spec change, yeah?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goodspike

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Yup, but I have nothing to add. Typo or spec change, we'll never know unless a GM engineer that knows comes along and says something. If my hitch and owners manual say 900lb max then who am I to argue? If newer years say 700 or 770 then it is what it is. No parts changed, so it must've been a test or spec change, yeah?
If it were safety related then seemingly they would have notified prior year owners. A spec recall of sorts.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
To me, the documentation numbers are there for legal purposes.. follow them or risk your insurance or liability etc... The sticker on the hitch is the max i'd put on there regardless (private road / small distances etc..) that's just me.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
To me, the documentation numbers are there for legal purposes.. follow them or risk your insurance or liability etc... The sticker on the hitch is the max i'd put on there regardless (private road / small distances etc..) that's just me.
I'd agree, but I think the claims of insurance being at risk are largely old wives' tales. Insurance still covers you when your drunk, so I would imagine it would still cover you when your 100 pounds over on tongue weight. Also, I really doubt anyone ever weighs a trailer after an accident, so unless it's an obvious mis-match . . ..

But again I agree on not doing it.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
I'd agree, but I think the claims of insurance being at risk are largely old wives' tales. Insurance still covers you when your drunk, so I would imagine it would still cover you when your 100 pounds over on tongue weight. Also, I really doubt anyone ever weighs a trailer after an accident, so unless it's an obvious mis-match . . ..

But again I agree on not doing it.
I'm not sure about how insurance works in the states, but here in Canada I'm pretty sure you'll be assigned at fault if you're overweight by an obvious amount. They'll cover, but you'll pay in the long run.

Anyhow.. Tldr; keep everyone safe!

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
I'm not sure about how insurance works in the states, but here in Canada I'm pretty sure you'll be assigned at fault if you're overweight by an obvious amount. They'll cover, but you'll pay in the long run.
Fault sure, but again I doubt anyone weighs trailers after accidents. And fault is different than the insurance not applying. So it's really a more of a situation where you should try to avoid accidents, and exceeding published weight limits is not consistent with trying to avoid accidents.

And actually, fault wouldn't even be certain. The obvious example would be someone rear ending you. Maybe even a car running a red light in front of you, unless maybe it was so far in front of you that you should have been able to stop.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
The whole "if you're overweight your claim will be denied" nonsense is just that, nonsense. Insurance is there because accidents happen. How do accidents happen? Negligence. Whether you're overweight, texting, drunk, whatever, that is why we have insurance. To ensure innocent people can be made whole when they have damages caused by someone that was negligent in some way. If insurance denied claims because someone was negligent then insurance would be largely useless.

701 - 716 of 716 Posts