Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
661 - 680 of 716 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
556 Posts
Made it the full 275 miles there and back. No complaints at all. Dad took up the ski with the escalade and called me halfway through the trip telling me to keep my foot off the floor he was having a hard time keeping up off on ramps and stuff. Had to tell him I wasn't even laying into it. Letting it shift at maybe half throttle which equated to between 2800 and 3500 rpms. Hottest trans temp I've even seen in the truck since I owned it was 170 in the 101 degrees stated by the truck in stopped traffic going over the George Washington. Otherwise 150-160. The escalade with max tow... 230. And that was basically running with an extra 800 lbs only... rig is dialed.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice. That's quite a lot of boat for a single axle trailer too! Rear doesnt look to be squatting much at all. Does the trailer have surge brakes? Looks like you're in NJ, where did you take the boat?

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
556 Posts
Nice. That's quite a lot of boat for a single axle trailer too! Rear doesnt look to be squatting much at all. Does the trailer have surge brakes? Looks like you're in NJ, where did you take the boat?
Like I said earlier, tried a tandem but the trailer was just too large to get the boat to sit right. The boat is only a 19 but.. an old school 19 is big compared to a modern one.

No surge brakes, the trailer is below the weight requirement although if I were to do it again I'd be adding them. The truck still stops well enough without and I'm cautious but it's always nice. St the time we bought the trailer money was quite tight and it fit the bill and worked so we went with it. That's going back almost 20 years now however.

When I was rebuilding everything I found out that the axle and frame plate on the trailer is certified up to 3500lbs but the spring pack limited it to its 2400lb weight. I reached out to my dealer and we went to the 2650 setup which overall made it much better. The trailer doesn't bounce around as much because the spring pack actually flexes now instead of maxing out... allegedly the dry weight on the boat as per the owners information is 2000lbs and I could see that without any driveline maybe. I don't notice it back there too much but I'd say on trailer with gear it's around 3300. Been meaning to scale it woth our work trailers it just never works out I have the time when they're doing it. But I know the one work one is 3k empty and it feels about the same behind the truck.

Tongue weight was adjusted to only 300 or so. It's where the trailer always liked to sit. I also have about 100lbs of tools in the bed too. So it really isn't much squat at all although I think being g the CCLB masks squat some. Also having it at 300 let's me load all my gear into the bow and not max out the truck. I also have the hitch flipped... the nose being up a little on the tongue again I'd always how it worked best, even behind the 2500. It's a straight shank so figure it's level with the top of the 2 inch receiver so nothing drastic... about where it would be height wise with the bumper hitch maybe a tad lower.

We went up to candlewood lake in Connecticut. I used to run out of Mantoloking on the metedeconk but now run out of toms river since we moved the 33 down there. Haven't used it much this year since the engine is hurt. Got a 3.0l pushing around that sled and she's got some blow by after doing it 700 hours straight. Trying to find a repower is becoming increasingly difficult due to EPA and it really deserves a V6 for what I do... tubing with 3 people takes forever to come on plane. Once running its all good but getting the bow down takes forever.

Reactions: AngryScientist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for this thread. We tow a Flagstaff Highwall Popup, about 3,600 lbs. when loaded, with our Colorado. Although the highwall is 9" taller than a regular PUP, it's lower than a full-size trailer, and our 2016 Colorado LT handles it with ease.

Thinking of giving this PUP to our kids in 3-4 years when the youngest is 17-18 and the others are 27-32 and getting a smaller "couple's camper" travel trailer for the two of us.

Thinking of something about 22' - 24', 1 slideout, and 5,000 - 5,500 lbs. when fully loaded. Colorado has 7,000 lbs. tow capacity and 1,600 payload.

How's everyone's experience with something like this? We love our Colorado and don't want a full-sized truck since it's a daily commuter and our garage is too short for anything longer. Willing to go with a smaller travel trailer so we can keep a Colorado/Canyon.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
Thanks for this thread. We tow a Flagstaff Highwall Popup, about 3,600 lbs. when loaded, with our Colorado. Although the highwall is 9" taller than a regular PUP, it's lower than a full-size trailer, and our 2016 Colorado LT handles it with ease.

Thinking of giving this PUP to our kids in 3-4 years when the youngest is 17-18 and the others are 27-32 and getting a smaller "couple's camper" travel trailer for the two of us.

Thinking of something about 22' - 24', 1 slideout, and 5,000 - 5,500 lbs. when fully loaded. Colorado has 7,000 lbs. tow capacity and 1,600 payload.

How's everyone's experience with something like this? We love our Colorado and don't want a full-sized truck since it's a daily commuter and our garage is too short for anything longer. Willing to go with a smaller travel trailer so we can keep a Colorado/Canyon.

I debated between the 22-24ft, 1 slideout and 5k-5500 lbs for a while too. I ended up on a 26ft, no slide, and 5500 lbs loaded; so I imagine my situation to be similar to yours. My tongue weight is definitely closer to the 15%, and that's the design of the trailer, almost regardless of how I load it. The payload is the biggest issue, we are a (physically) small family, the three of us barely hits 300lbs after a buffet, and my bed needs to be mostly empty when towing. Power, stopping, and sway / handling; I don't have any issues. I tow into the mountains regularly, and you just need to let these small engines rev, it's pretty happy in that 3500-4k rpm.

We just came back from our weekend trip, the wind was gusting 45km/h; and we definitely felt it in gas mileage. The andersen hitch performed well imo, but small truck is small truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I debated between the 22-24ft, 1 slideout and 5k-5500 lbs for a while too. I ended up on a 26ft, no slide, and 5500 lbs loaded; so I imagine my situation to be similar to yours. My tongue weight is definitely closer to the 15%, and that's the design of the trailer, almost regardless of how I load it. The payload is the biggest issue, we are a (physically) small family, the three of us barely hits 300lbs after a buffet, and my bed needs to be mostly empty when towing. Power, stopping, and sway / handling; I don't have any issues. I tow into the mountains regularly, and you just need to let these small engines rev, it's pretty happy in that 3500-4k rpm.

We just came back from our weekend trip, the wind was gusting 45km/h; and we definitely felt it in gas mileage. The andersen hitch performed well imo, but small truck is small truck.
Thank you for the feedback. Everything I've read indicates most TVs max out on payload before tow weight, so I'm sensitive to what your saying. Seems to be common and one of the most common tips that experts offer.

My Colorado purports to have 1,600 lb. payload. If I assume 15% of 5,000 lbs, that's 750. Throw in 325 for my wife and me (small, but not as small as you) that's 1,025. Seems like there would be a couple hundred lbs. to spare and still be 10-15% under max payload??? What am I missing?

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Everything I've read indicates most TVs max out on payload before tow weight, so I'm sensitive to what your saying. Seems to be common and one of the most common tips that experts offer.

My Colorado purports to have 1,600 lb. payload. If I assume 15% of 5,000 lbs, that's 750. Throw in 325 for my wife and me (small, but not as small as you) that's 1,025. Seems like there would be a couple hundred lbs. to spare and still be 10-15% under max payload??? What am I missing?

Your sticker payload is higher than mine, mine is stickered at 1472. I think my spray in bedliner added about 60 lbs, and then the other cabin contents (carseat, first aid kit, tire changing tools / jack, drinks + snacks) another 60lbs, and then the weight of the actual WDH... mine is about 65 (andersen), but some come in closer to 120lbs. There goes my payload...

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4, CCSB, V6, leather, tow package, Bakflip MX4
81 Posts
We have a 2021 Canyon AT4 and tow a 17 foot Casita. Payload sticker says 1420#. The Casita weighs about 3400# loaded for a long trip with 420# tongue weight. By the time we add the wife and I, 90# German Shepard and all the gear that goes in the truck bed we are less than 100# from the GVW. With 1400-1500# of cargo capacity it goes quick. Many full size half tons only have payloads in the 1500# range and some are rated to tow 10,000# or more. With a 15% tongue weight you would have to drive it by remote control.

·
Registered
19 CC V6 Bison,
139 Posts
We have a 2021 Canyon AT4 and tow a 17 foot Casita. Payload sticker says 1420#. The Casita weighs about 3400# loaded for a long trip with 420# tongue weight. By the time we add the wife and I, 90# German Shepard and all the gear that goes in the truck bed we are less than 100# from the GVW. With 1400-1500# of cargo capacity it goes quick. Many full size half tons only have payloads in the 1500# range and some are rated to tow 10,000# or more. With a 15% tongue weight you would have to drive it by remote control.
Thanks for your service.

Great trailer choice - either of the twins and a molded fiberglass camper make an awesome combo. With a winch and full armor, plus coolers, genset, fuel and water aboard for our longer trips, I have to offload recovery gear, tools, screen room, chairs, stoves etc. to the Scamp 19 to keep within the limits. Not a big deal as the generator and large cooler stay at the campsite once we reach our destination and the tools plus recovery items go back on the truck. We really enjoy visiting TX and appreciate the hospitality - Thanks. Always stop at Palo Duro Canyon SP for a break when heading west and Big Bend NP is one of our all time favorites.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It isn't much but had to tow my brz across the state because the oil pump on my built block wasn't priming. Drove all the way there in tow/haul and even on the rather large rolling hills I felt like all it did was eat into my mpg. Going to try without it next time.

·
Registered
2021 LT 4x4 V6
7 Posts
Picked up a 2021 LT 4x4 V6 just over a week ago. Will be towing an aluminum 20ft enclosed car hauler. Previous tow vehicle was a 2013 VW diesel Touareg (rated for 7700 lbs towing)

Trailer with racecar weighs about 5500 lbs. Payload won't be a problem because me + stuff <= 200 lbs. I'm very cognizant about loading the trailer for optimal tongue weight. Obviously the V6 in the truck will struggle compared to the V6 diesel in the SUV but i can manage that.

Never used a WDH with the Touareg in 15k miles of towing and wondering how the Colorado will do re: handling and sway without a WDH. Eventually I'll pick up something but not before the first tow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Picked up my a 2021 LT 4x4 V6 just over a week ago. Will be towing an aluminum 20ft enclosed car hauler. Previous tow vehicle was a 2013 VW diesel Touareg (rated for 7700 lbs towing)

Trailer with racecar weighs about 5500 lbs. Payload won't be a problem because me + stuff <= 200 lbs. I'm very cognizant about loading the trailer for optimal tongue weight. Obviously the V6 in the truck will struggle compared to the V6 diesel in the SUV but i can manage that.

Never used a WDH with the Touareg in 15k miles of towing and wondering how the Colorado will do re: handling and sway without a WDH. Eventually I'll pick up something but not before the first tow.
What do you race?

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
39 Posts
I am looking at getting a small light toy hauler that is 5000ibs loaded max. I should have no problem towing it with my 2021 GMC Canyon 3.6, V6 crew cab, 5' bed? This is my first truck I try to do any hauling with so I am doing my research on my truck can do. I want to haul my 2012 Yamaha Raider, (750ibs cruiser) in a toy hauler and go camping in the Smokey's and across the country. Weight distribution hitch? Sway bars? Air cushion hitch? Rear air bag suspension? 5th wheeler over conventional hitch? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am pulling a 2021 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 212QB. It weighs 4360 lbs. with 2 full propane tanks. I use a weight distributing hitch with 1000 lbs. bars. I generally inflate the rear tires to the max rating, 51 lbs. while towing. I also installed some new rear Bilstein 5160 shocks. I am probably somewhere in the low to mid 5,000 lbs. range while towing. It tows really well. I also installed Boost Auto Towing mirrors. These are great, when they are extended, it lets me see down the sides of the trailer. Towing with this engine is a little different as it revs higher than the other engines I have used previously, GM 4.3 V6 and 5.7 V8.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
290 Posts
You could put your gear in the trailer. It's better to have the weight over the (centered) axles of the trailer than in the truck over and behind the rear axle.

When I race I put as much crap in the race car as I can, and the truck drives much nicer without the heavy stuff sitting on top of the rear axle.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4, CCSB, V6, leather, tow package, Bakflip MX4
81 Posts
Not a bunch of room inside a Casita to put stuff. You would have to put everything on the floor/beds and would hamper access to the bathroom and fridge while on the road. Really too much stuff to put in the Casita anyway. Our list of items includes- 2 camp chairs, Clam screen shelter, propane grill, propane campfire, 20lb propane cylinder, tool box, 7 gal aquatainers, 2 folding tables, Honda 2200i generator, gas can, fishing gear, waders, float tube and we will be adding a Renogy solar suitcase (another 30lb) to our gear soon. Putting all that in the Casita would likely put it over it's axle capacity even if could be shoehorned in. We boon dock/dry camp a lot in NF/NP campgrounds, BLM and NF dispersed camping areas preferably near trout fishing.

·
Registered
2021 LT 4x4 V6
7 Posts
Picked up a 2021 LT 4x4 V6 just over a week ago. Will be towing an aluminum 20ft enclosed car hauler. Previous tow vehicle was a 2013 VW diesel Touareg (rated for 7700 lbs towing)

Towed ~310 miles last Friday to the track and back. A bit more sway than I'd like from semis and wind gusts but overall worked well. Plenty of power, trans fairly busy but temps well under control. Next time will scoot the car a few inches forward to add more tongue weight.

DIC reported 12.3 mpg overall; actual measured = 11.8 mpg. Pretty close and better than I expected given the airbrake of a trailer.

661 - 680 of 716 Posts