Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

461 - 480 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forest River Wildwood 180 RT toyhauler. Weighs 3180 unloaded and about 4500 loaded with 2 dirt bikes and other stuff.

The v6 struggles to pull it much faster than 65mph, but I don't mind going slow. I average about 11mpg towing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm looking to tow a 25' Airstream with the diesel version of the Colorado. It's about 5800 lbs unloaded. I was going to post a link which seems to indicate I'll be fine (especially with a good sway control hitch) but the forum won't let me 😂 So if you google "outside online chevy colorado enough truck" you'll find it. Figured I would check with the folks who drove these around on the regular. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm looking to tow a 25' Airstream with the diesel version of the Colorado. It's about 5800 lbs unloaded. I was going to post a link which seems to indicate I'll be fine (especially with a good sway control hitch) but the forum won't let me 😂 So if you google "outside online chevy colorado enough truck" you'll find it. Figured I would check with the folks who drove these around on the regular. Thanks!
I think you need to post more numbers, but I'm pretty well maxed out with a trailer at about 4,000 pounds unloaded in a 4x4 CC Colorado Duramax with one passenger and a cat. Payload tends to be the limiting factor, but in your case max tongue weight could also be a concern.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Forest River Wildwood 180 RT toyhauler. Weighs 3180 unloaded and about 4500 loaded with 2 dirt bikes and other stuff.

The v6 struggles to pull it much faster than 65mph, but I don't mind going slow. I average about 11mpg towing.

View attachment 388417

View attachment 388418

View attachment 388419

View attachment 388417

View attachment 388418

View attachment 388419
How do you like that little toy hauler? I was looking for that same camper and ended up getting the WW FSX 179 Bunk house model. I had a receiver hitch welded on the rear of the camper frame so I can put a motorcycle carrier on the back to haul my TW.

I was looking to get the same one you have to give me lots of options later on, I was thinking of buying a four wheeler.

·
Registered
2020 Canyon
7 Posts
"

The v6 struggles to pull it much faster than 65mph, but I don't mind going slow. I average about 11mpg towing"

Yes, It's the wind drag holding you back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you need to post more numbers, but I'm pretty well maxed out with a trailer at about 4,000 pounds unloaded in a 4x4 CC Colorado Duramax with one passenger and a cat. Payload tends to be the limiting factor, but in your case max tongue weight could also be a concern.
Thanks, appreciate the breakdown. This is a 25' Airstream with an unloaded weight of 5800 and GVWR of 7300. It sounds like even with the Duramax this is really pushing it too far. I don't mind downsizing the trailer to something shorter and lighter, it's just that this is going to be my full-time home so I'm being careful about selection :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Thanks, appreciate the breakdown. This is a 25' Airstream with an unloaded weight of 5800 and GVWR of 7300. It sounds like even with the Duramax this is really pushing it too far. I don't mind downsizing the trailer to something shorter and lighter, it's just that this is going to be my full-time home so I'm being careful about selection :)
It's not so much the engine as the frame and suspension.

With my 20' 3,800 pound empty trailer using a WDH my front/rear axle weights were 2920 and 2940, for a total weight of 5,860 pounds. My GVWR is 6,200. That was a loaded weight, but I didn't have that much in the trailer. And my tongue weight is about 500-550. A heavier trailer would presumably have more tongue weight.

As to the engine, an Airstream is fairly wide. I don't know of the curves make up for that in air resistance. But again I don't think it's the engine that would be the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's not so much the engine as the frame and suspension.

With my 20' 3,800 pound empty trailer using a WDH my front/rear axle weights were 2920 and 2940, for a total weight of 5,860 pounds. My GVWR is 6,200. That was a loaded weight, but I didn't have that much in the trailer. And my tongue weight is about 500-550. A heavier trailer would presumably have more tongue weight.

As to the engine, an Airstream is fairly wide. I don't know of the curves make up for that in air resistance. But again I don't think it's the engine that would be the problem.
See, this is the kind of stuff that I feel like I would learn neither from a car dealer nor an RV dealer. How are you getting the front and rear axle breakdown?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
See, this is the kind of stuff that I feel like I would learn neither from a car dealer nor an RV dealer. How are you getting the front and rear axle breakdown?
A Cat Scale. They have two apps instead of combining them into one app. One app tells you where the scales are. The other app allows you to create an account, assign a credit card to it, and then sometime later roll up to the scale and get your weights. It's $12, with reweighs something less.

And you're right, both the car dealer and RV dealer will just look at the max tow rating relative to the weight of your trailer.

Here's an interesting site someone else found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A Cat Scale. They have two apps instead of combining them into one app. One app tells you where the scales are. The other app allows you to create an account, assign a credit card to it, and then sometime later roll up to the scale and get your weights. It's $12, with reweighs something less.

And you're right, both the car dealer and RV dealer will just look at the max tow rating relative to the weight of your trailer.

Here's an interesting site someone else found.

All right. Looks like I'm downsizing with a 4500 GVWR as a result of this. Thanks for giving me the heads up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to come back to this, having found something else in between the 20' and the 25':

2008 23D Inter Ocean Breeze: GVWR 6000, UBW 4695, NCC 1305, GAWR 6000, GCWR 6000, Tongue Weight 700.

About 1700 lbs short of the max rated GVWR on the Duramax, but I don't know how that tongue weight number matches up to what it can take. (Actually having a hell of a time finding that on the Chevy website.)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
About 1700 lbs short of the max rated GVWR on the Duramax, but I don't know how that tongue weight number matches up to what it can take. (Actually having a hell of a time finding that on the Chevy website.)
I believe it's 770, assuming you have the tow package, which you probably do. Keep in mind that's an empty tongue weight and that tongue weight counts against payload.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi guys,
I think you're gonna need more truck. Loaded up that thing will be close to the limit. Plus, a box like that is a sail, so it affects the truck more than the weight alone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Let's just say it wasn't happy. But I was happy I didn't pancake the rear springs out of it. ;) May have been overweight for a short period of time...its weird going around a turn and the body doesn't roll because the bump stops are pressed hard into the axle tubes...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hauled a 25 gallon potted tree 35 miles from the nursery to my home on my 1500 lb car hauler. First time a trailer was on the truck (1200 miles). Hauled fine, but I only went 35 mph so I wouldn't wind burn the tree.

461 - 480 of 500 Posts