Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

441 - 460 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2016 Columbia Northwest Aliner Expedition will be towed this year by my Canyon for its first time (previously towed by a Tacoma) running at about 3-3.2k pounds. The Tacoma towed it like a dream and I expect nothing less from the Canyon.
IMG_0394.JPG

·
Registered
455 Posts
Towed this with 2 snowmobiles this weekend well up into N. Maine...we were moving right along..averaged 8.5mpg over the 800 miles..3 people plus gear..
E9FFC6BD-FB91-4EC6-9520-F4D12A75000D.jpeg

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Can someone please comment about this site?

I think it works, but I'd like some others to run numbers. I found an error in my spreadsheet where tongue weight was effectively being added in twice to determine the GCVW.

On the topic of tongue weight, they seem to be attributing 100% of the tongue weight to the payload. That's what I do to be conservative, but with a WDH wouldn't some part of that be transferred back to the trailer wheels?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am towing a Spare Bumper!
35685C49-C4FB-43A3-998D-359B70E58837.jpeg

Gusto!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I tow a ~4600 lb Airstream, and have the Canyon V6 loaded close to max GVW including generators, camping gear, and fairly high tongue weight of the AS. Use a WD hitch setup and replaced the OEM hitch with one rated for WD from etrailer (chose one that picked up all 8 attachment points as some do not). Biggest strain has been high altitude passes in Colorado where was able to maintain 60 mph, but high rpm (pretty much continuous 4400-4800 rpm as I recollect). Installing a Mallett Supercharger before our next long trip so that should help as well as be fun. Max trans temp seen so far is 205F towing. 21,000 miles 20% of that towing with no problems. Worst day towing averaged 11.5 MPG. Best day towing about 15 MPG. Brakes are adequate but did fade them after a long descent when connector had issues and no trailer brakes (fixed that).EDIT: Also add that this rig has been absolutely rock solid even towing with significant crosswinds that had others visibly struggling. I don't know if it is the stability control or the Airstream Aerodynamics or ?, but it is a very easy tow.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
666 Posts
View attachment 387028

Spec E30 "race" car

Unfortunately didn't bring home the bacon this weekend, but I was in the fight for a while...
Daaaaaaammnn!! You're goood! Awesome how you dogged 'em at the start LOL! That track was too skinny IMO, no room to pass about anywhere safely. Next time, race the Colly, It'll probably do better! : )

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I posted some of this in another thread (Help me pick a trailer), but this is my trailer that I finally got to take out on a real shake down cruise (one night camping). On the way back stopped for a weigh at a Cat Scale and I was surprised at the numbers. I probably had 20 gallons of water because we couldn't dump (camp site had not de-winterized the dump station). Also me, my wife, two batteries and 1.5 bottles of propane, all our gear including tools and an air compressor (and one cat and his food/litter) the numbers were as follows with the WDH connected.

Front Axle: 2,920
Rear Axle: 2,940
Trailer: 3,960.
Tongue Weight (my scale, but food and water removed): 550.

As expected I'm a bit close to the 6,200 GVWR, but I knew payload would be the limiting number going in. I expected to be closer! The manufacturer empty weight on the trailer is 3,780, so obviously some weight is being transferred to the truck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So which micro minnie is this, and which engine do you have? I have the v-6 and was thinking about the new 1708.

I posted some of this in another thread (Help me pick a trailer), but this is my trailer that I finally got to take out on a real shake down cruise (one night camping). On the way back stopped for a weigh at a Cat Scale and I was surprised at the numbers. I probably had 20 gallons of water because we couldn't dump (camp site had not de-winterized the dump station). Also me, my wife, two batteries and 1.5 bottles of propane, all our gear including tools and an air compressor (and one cat and his food/litter) the numbers were as follows with the WDH connected.

Front Axle: 2,920
Rear Axle: 2,940
Trailer: 3,960.
Tongue Weight (my scale, but food and water removed): 550.

As expected I'm a bit close to the 6,200 GVWR, but I knew payload would be the limiting number going in. I expected to be closer! The manufacturer empty weight on the trailer is 3,780, so obviously some weight is being transferred to the truck.

View attachment 387370

·
Registered
795 Posts
I tow a ~4600 lb Airstream, and have the Canyon V6 loaded close to max GVW including generators, camping gear, and fairly high tongue weight of the AS. Use a WD hitch setup and replaced the OEM hitch with one rated for WD from etrailer (chose one that picked up all 8 attachment points as some do not). ...
Just out of curiosity, how is the hitch from etrailer supposed to be different from OEM?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how is the hitch from etrailer supposed to be different from OEM?
1. etrailer doesn't make any money off the OEM receivers.
2. You'd need to Jerry rig a system to keep your spare tire up.

Here's a link to all they offer. Note many go over the tow limit of the truck and some do list different capacities for WDH and some don't.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
There is a discussion of this (Interesting Towing Capacity)

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
It's not in terms of capabilities.

There is a discussion of this (Interesting Towing Capacity)
You wasted money replacing the factory receiver hitch with an aftermarket hitch, the factory hitch is absolutely fine to use with a WDH and there is nothing from GM that says anything to the contrary..

Reactions: ernster500

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I just looked at my Fuely recent fill ups chart. Given the two last week that chart resembles the current S&P 500 chart! I wonder if I quit towing if the stock market will recover. :unsure:

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
16 Posts
I tow a 5×8 stirling trailer for transporting my Arctic Cat Alterra 700 XT to the trails here in Ontario...

441 - 460 of 500 Posts