Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best riding shocks for the Z71's? I am looking for something that rides nice and smooth, not like a 18 Wheeler. I am about to do a 2" lift via TB crank and shackle lift and I want a smoother ride.

I understand that the front shock length will not change, and the rear shock should have 2" more travel. What are you guys using for shocks? How is the ride? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Bilstein FTW! Front part number: F4-BE5-D934-H0 Rear part number: F4-B46-1819-H0

·
Registered
561 Posts
i have ranchos...i like them, but i have heard bilsteins are top notch...i couldnt beatthe price i got on mine

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anyone ever tried Edelbrock shocks?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep hearing that my ride is going to be uber stiff if I crank the TB's...any truth to this? I only plan on cranking 1.5-2.0". I wouldn't think it would affect it that much.

I'm coming from the Jeep world, there Bilsteins are the best money can buy (within reason)

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Z71DA said:
I keep hearing that my ride is going to be uber stiff if I crank the TB's...any truth to this? I only plan on cranking 1.5-2.0". I wouldn't think it would affect it that much.

I'm coming from the Jeep world, there Bilsteins are the best money can buy (within reason)
Only cranking enough to get 1.5-2" won't make the ride noticeably different.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Really. Your butt dyno must be out of whack. :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
ryzer77 said:
Anyone ever tried Edelbrock shocks?
I installed Edelbrocks on mine. They are stiffer shocks. They feel wonderful at interstate speeds, but a bit too firm over rough streets or terrain at low speeds. Granted, they are only a couple weeks old, so they may loosen up a hair as the seals break in.

You can get the rear shocks for an H3. They bolt right in, and are 1" longer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ssgjurista said:
Bilstein FTW! Front part number: F4-BE5-D934-H0 Rear part number: F4-B46-1819-H0
SSGJURISTA - I was already leaning towards Bilsteins, thanks for the part numbers.

How do the Bilsteins ride? Like stock? Better? Softer? Stiffer? I also noticed that the rear shock you are using is intended for a S10 pickup/blazer with a lift since Bilstein does not make a rear shock specifically for lifted Colorados. Any adverse effects from using this shock in the rear? Is it valved well? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Z71DA said:
ssgjurista said:
SSGJURISTA - I was already leaning towards Bilsteins, thanks for the part numbers.

How do the Bilsteins ride? Like stock? Better? Softer? Stiffer? I also noticed that the rear shock you are using is intended for a S10 pickup/blazer with a lift since Bilstein does not make a rear shock specifically for lifted Colorados. Any adverse effects from using this shock in the rear? Is it valved well? Thanks in advance!
They ride a tad bit better than stock. The ride is firm but not harsh and I noticed a bit less body roll when cornering or braking. The rear shock for the S-10 works fine for
lifted Canyons/Colorados. Valved the same, just longer. Skitz has them on his truck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just ordered the Bilstein's for my 2wd ZQ8.
BE5-D973-H0 (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT)
BE5-D974-H0 (REAR RIGHT&LEFT)

Factory ride was getting mushy in turns after 1 year so though I am not thrilled with the color, it was about time to upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumping thread I guess- recently did a 2" torsion key and AAL lift on my 2011 Canyon 4x4 Z85. I was down to either Rancho RS5000X(twin tube) or KYB Gas-A-Just(monotube) for shocks. Options are limited, and both retail about the same price. I've had Rancho on several vehicles(lifted 87' Ranger 4x4, lifted 93' Grand Cherokee, and leveled 2001 F150 SuperCrew)in the past and didn't have complaints- slightly firmer than stock without being overly harsh. But I had a set of Gabriel monotube shocks on a 4x4 torsion bar Ranger and I loved the ride. Seemed to soak up the big bumps better, valving felt like it was faster and allowed the suspension to work through more of it's travel. I've been know to toss entire sets of shocks out if the ride is too harsh in the trash, and would rather not waste the money if I can avoid it. I do hunt and spend time on rough gravel roads where that kind of shock just makes life that much more pleasant. Anyone have an opinion if the KYB is worth it, or should I be looking at spending the extra for Bilstein 4600's? Or is the Rancho going to be a good bang for the buck that won't beat me up? OE shocks on now(60k miles) and ride isn't terrible, slightly stiffer than stock- as expected and not bad since it drove like a car before the lift.
Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts