Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my 04 RCSB 2wd 3.5 on Sat and looking for some quick easy upgrades?

What are some realatively cheap mods?

Ram Air?
Electric fans?
Gut the cat?
Cat back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
bbrownderville said:
You can Gut your cat, pcm tune, cold air intake, then an muffler(the factory piping would be fine). thats bassically all the cheap mods i think.
While the factory pipe is fine, you still end up with the goofy exhasut tip hidden up behind the bumper. Half the fun is the sound and performance. The other half is the look of a nice shiny exhaust tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bbrownderville said:
yea but you could also just do a turn down after the muffler. thats what i plan on doing. i dont like the look of exhaust being seen. i like it hidden.
I'm the same way. I'm more of a stealthy person. Hence why my bikes had a toggle to turn off all the lights at night...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
abrrymnvette said:
Should I buy the cold air kits or can one be made fairly easy?
One can be made extremely easy. No lie, I know someone that has pvc pipe or whatever for their intake tubing.

I'm not too fond of the look of self-made cold air kits though. I love the shine and professional look of bought kits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
abrrymnvette said:
Hence why my bikes had a toggle to turn off all the lights at night...........
Now that's being stealthy. I dont think i would be able to roll without headlights though..it be good for those "hide from the cop" moments though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
r890 said:
I'm not too fond of the look of self-made cold air kits though. I love the shine and professional look of bought kits.
I agree 100%. Professionally made looks alot better to me when it comes time to show it off. While they are alot more expensive then making a kit from pvc, a bought kit would not only look better, but perform better because it has been built to spec to provide the ultimate power improvements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
bbrownderville said:
r890 said:
I'm not too fond of the look of self-made cold air kits though. I love the shine and professional look of bought kits.
I agree 100%. Professionally made looks alot better to me when it comes time to show it off. While they are alot more expensive then making a kit from pvc, a bought kit would not only look better, but perform better because it has been built to spec to provide the ultimate power improvements.
Not to mention, if the filter ever needs to be replaced, you'd know exactly which one is needed, instead of spending a good bit of time trying to find the proper size for a home-made kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
Ram air doesn't exist in cars below 200mph... that said a cold air intake will boost power.

I've never understood the point of trying to make a little truck fast with boltons... it's a waste of money. Save up for a turbo, supercharger, or LSX swap.

I added an intake and heavy towing tune for more grunt towing my car trailer etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cobra4B said:
Ram air doesn't exist in cars below 200mph... that said a cold air intake will boost power.

I've never understood the point of trying to make a little truck fast with boltons... it's a waste of money. Save up for a turbo, supercharger, or LSX swap.

I added an intake and heavy towing tune for more grunt towing my car trailer etc.

Ram Air is known is the same as CAI to most people. I know what ram air is. I'm not a "import" person you are describing. I've been on CF as long as you and know a lot about vehicles. This is a DD, hence why I didn't say anything about heavy mods, b/c I know they are pointless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
Eh... if you're on CF enough you'll see plenty of posts with people claiming Vararams are superior because of ram air. Many are confused into thinking air is being forced into the intake when it's the temperature of the air making more HP throgh greater density :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cobra4B said:
Eh... if you're on CF enough you'll see plenty of posts with people claiming Vararams are superior because of ram air. Many are confused into thinking air is being forced into the intake when it's the temperature of the air making more HP throgh greater density :)
Yes, this I know. I put ram air for reasons unbeknown to even me. I think I was just getting done reading the "ram air" thread on here and it was stuck in my mind. I remember when the vara-ram came out and all the "discussion" about it. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,987 Posts
I say gut your pre-cat :D

I did mine yesterday and WOAH!!!!!!! I would have done it for the sound alone but my throttle response increased, i also felt a noticible gain in HP......I didn't get the nasty rattle though....just a nice deep tone :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
the cheapest mods would be cold air intake and a new chip. But a smaller cooling fan would add a little horsepower. All of those would be 15% of your performance increase, but you really need a turbo or a supercharger to add another 100 hp
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,310 Posts
if you want cheap and kinda easy here's the ticket

k&n has a kit for approx $250. but why spend all that money? i bought a k&n filter ($45 auto zone) i don't think it was for my truck but it fit around the 3 inch carlon elec. conduit. 90 degree bend about a 2 foot radius. i only used a section of it though. i created a airbox out of some extra mdf. i cut a part out for the MAF. i had to adjust the id to match the stock size around the MAF. i used two plumbing fittings and hoses for the breather and vaccuum lines. inside of $75 i had IMO a better, more efficient air intake than the fipk. plus i can be heard a 1/4 mile away at WOT. :) just the intake sound, once i let off and criuse you can't hear it at all.

here's a pic

i easily got all 18 pony's and some
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top