Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo...what are forums for if not to ask questions? Every time I search for anything on any forum, I almost never get exactly what I’m looking for. So I understand why people ask the questions again and again. But on this forum, everyone that asks a repeat question gets harassed and in a huge argument with the moderators. The search function doesn’t work, period. If you want people to go to google or what ever search engine you favor, then why even have a forum? Forums are a place where you are supposed to be able to ask questions to those with similar experiences but with, hopefully, more knowledge. So if anyone can shed a light on the reason why those who monitor this forum hate when people ask repeat questions about a truck that is exactly what this forum exists for, I would appreciate it! I’m not trying talk trash or start fights and I hope I don’t get kicked off of here for this but I sincerely do not understand the hostility and impatience toward those trying to gather information from nice folks who don’t mind sharing the experiences they’ve worked hard discovering on their own. Ya know, like descent human beings do!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I just looked at your profile and saw you only made 5 posts. On none of them did I see anything disparaging, nor any Mods or anyone else saying anything negative towards you or any posts you made.
Was something deleted because as of now, I dont see what the heck your talking about.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ask your question anyway!
that what these forums are for!!!!

I am a member of many, many forums and a moderator of a couple
none of the search functions ever work very well...period!!!!
even Google is hit or miss, they pull up everything but what you really ask for!
most search functions are:poop::poop::poop:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s exactly right. I never post anything because I’d rather spend hours looking for exactly what I need rather than ask for help because I don’t want to deal with the constant “bumps” and “this is in a hundred other threads” BS. If a member doesn’t want to answer...then don’t answer. It’s that simple. Who cares how many times it’s asked!
The reason for this post is I sold my factory headlights and got to talking to the guy about wheels and hub centric spacers/adapters and tried searching it. Every post I went to was 20% good information 80% moderator “bumping” the poor guy telling him that he’s not gonna do all the work for him and to do a the research himself. I’m sure if the guy had the money, he would go to a mechanic because he’s clearly not mechanically inclined, but like most people, he wants to save his cash and ask other nice people if they can help. Listen, I get it...you’ve heard it a hundred times, but let the guy go on a forum and ask and if you’re tired of hearing the same question...MOVE ON. No one is forcing anyone else to respond. And by the way, in the time it took the moderator to bash these guys, they could have just help the guy out. Win for everyone.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have gotten the idea over the years that by posting a question that was covered earlier in a thread, that the moderators give me the impression that your question is taking up valuable space, which is not limited anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s the thing, nobody wants to take the time to go back that far, nor do they have the time. If it’s a server space issue, set it up to start deleting posts older than X months or years old, whatever works best for the servers. Forums should be here to let people with common interests or problems talk about that particular interest or problem and share experiences and knowledge. Again, if you don’t want to share...don’t. It really is that easy. Move on with your life, ignore said post, and let someone else that’s nicer or has more time and patience than you answer the question.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I know what you are saying
With the old format I would try and answer the question and then ask the person if they did a search, and explain on how to do a search on the forum. It was tricky.... but with the new format the search does not work, period. So I try my stealthy ways and try to find the answer or a thread for the person.

I use google and put in what I am looking for and most of the time I can find it, sometimes

·
Super Moderator
5,320 Posts
I cant remember the last time I "harrassed" and got into an "arguement" because someone didnt search.... seems other members do it more than me.
Especially now since the search function sucks on the new platform and the forum owners seem to care less about it

·
Super Moderator
5,320 Posts
I just looked at your profile and saw you only made 5 posts. On none of them did I see anything disparaging, nor any Mods or anyone else saying anything negative towards you or any posts you made.
Was something deleted because as of now, I dont see what the heck your talking about.
As a moderator I can see old deleted posts/threads and I see nothing has been deleted... he must be mad because we "harassed" some other members

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Just ask your question anyhow. I was a moderator here for a very short time and then quit because I sucked at it. Mods have to combine similar posts to create less confusion when someone is searching. That was great before they updated the website and you can't search easily for anything now. I would just ask anyhow. Then there are the members that think they know everything and have some kind of attitude, and give you crap for asking what they think is a stupid question because you are new here. They are just wasting our time. The idea of the forum is to ask questions and post things that you have either learned or have done to your truck. I'm with you on the people who tell you to go and search. Most already know where the answer is and could have told it to you in the same amount time that they try to act cool and insult you. Just stupid. There are a lot of really nice knowledgeable people here too. Anyhow, I get it. I have seen it and been there. You are right.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
As a moderator I can see old deleted posts/threads and I see nothing has been deleted... no posts about selling headlights either
As a mod, you have definitely seen a lot of people who do this though. I know. This is a really nice place but if you are new, you should be allowed to ask an old question. I just try to point them in the right direction if I know the old post. There are people here that tell them to just go search with an attitude. You know. Anyhow, there is nothing bad about being nice to new people. And maybe he is just a troll, but it is a good point.

·
Super Moderator
5,320 Posts
As a mod, you have definitely seen a lot of people who do this though. I know. This is a really nice place but if you are new, you should be allowed to ask an old question. I just try to point them in the right direction if I know the old post. There are people here that tell them to just go search with an attitude. You know. Anyhow, I get it. And maybe he is just a troll, but it is a good point.
Sure its a good point, it's a point that has been made over and over... as mod here and for other forums for nearly 8 years I see this type of "what are forums for", "why cant we be nice and just answer the question" threads every couple of months or so.... and nothing really changes. You'll still have members who say "search" and members who help no matter what. A good forum needs members who nicely encourage sesrching(when the search function works of course) and it needs members who are willing to answer any and every question no matter how repetitive it is. Now members who suggest searching with a harsh and disrespectful attitude need to be delt with...Years ago I took a harder line when it came searching first especially with the tire size questions but now I've eased up. We are an online community... communities dont always get along, they disagree, not everyone likes each other and people come and go... just the way it is. Members can get their panties in a bunch over the "try searching" members or they can ignore them or sometimes they actually try and learn to search(when the search function works of course, lol)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Sure its a good point, it's a point that has been made over and over... as mod here and for other forums for nearly 8 years I see this type of "what are forums for", "why cant we be nice and just answer the question" threads every couple of months or so.... and nothing really changes. You'll still have members who say "search" and members who help no matter what. A good forum needs members who nicely encourage sesrching(when the search function works of course) and it needs members who are willing to answer any and every question no matter how repetitive it is. Now members who suggest searching with a harsh and disrespectful attitude need to be delt with...Years ago I took a harder line when it came searching first especially with the tire size questions but now I've eased up. We are an online community... communities dont always get along, they disagree, not everyone likes each other and people come and go... just the way it is. Members can get their panties in a bunch over the "try searching" members or they can ignore them or sometimes they actually try and learn to search(when the search function works of course, lol)
Thanks for your response. And thanks for being a moderator for so many years. I really sucked at it and have a great appreciation for what you do for free considering the time it takes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I find since I use Tapatalk the search feature isn't great but using the right keywords in Google and adding 'chevycoloradofans' and expanding the search has ALWAYS yielded me good results. People have different emotions at different times of the day and sometimes a little hostility is one of them but even someone telling you to search means they have probably already searched and dont want to repeat the process for you. I've premised posts with "hey, I'm on the road and don't have much screen time to search so....... ????" If that's the case let us know. We'll do our best. Lots of great people here to follow. Start subscribing/ following to the more knowledgeable users and go from there. Btw, I read nothing after the first two posts here. Limited time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Due to recent feedback IRT harassing people who join, ask 1-? & bail...I'm trying to be a "kinder/gentler" forum member. Search ?'s used to get my goat, but if I/we have the response readily available...why not help a member out...right?

·
Registered
815 Posts
It is the Internet of Things and information overload.
There are over 1.5 million posts on this forum and sure as **** with the twins now being 5 years old the subjects have been by and large covered ad nauseam.
A lot of old time members here are simply getting tired of the same old and perhaps need to buy a new vehicle and move on (just kidding). Its the been there, done that attitude that sets in and we don't give the young apprentices a chance to learn.

The search function here is difficult and you must rely on the external google engine to find anything.
Even with that tool, it is human nature to only look at the first 2 pages of hits and then move on.

Search engine companies know this and make bucket loads of money by prioritising the products up on top when key word searches are made. Amazon as an example even flag it as "Bestseller" or "Recommended".
It makes your life a whole lot easier when searching. Something of a star rating on the quality of the product or the post which is brought right up to the top.

Having said all this, people on here who do try to help quite often get burned by others for a lack of appreciation from the time spent doing research on their behalf. Someone will blurt out "Where do I find such and such" and you spend 15 minutes doing research and providing what you think is acceptable information only to have them not acknowledge or disappear into thin air and your left wondering if what you provided resulted in fixing the issue.

So it works both ways. You need a thick skin to deal with different personalities on the internet in which people act a whole lot different than if you met them in person and not unlike people driving down the (information) highway.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've always tried to find information first, even now that search is almost useless. But I have never been "harassed" when I have asked a question.... All I've ever gotten were answers. This site is MILD compared to some I have been on.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I am grouchy, other times it comes on mid-morning, noon, after noon, evening etc....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why is it, that the ones offended by this didn’t understand the point of it at all? The whole purpose was to get the point across that if you have nothing to add to someone’s question or post...move on to ignoring your girlfriend and go playing your video games and let helpful people help fellow Canyon/Colorado fans in need for no other reason than to be a good person. As I said before, NO I did not get “harassed” personally (probably a poor choice of words on my part, my bad), however I have not searched for a single subject that didn’t have somebody “trolling” and telling the person to find their subject matter on their own. AGAIN...if you don’t want to help the person, DON’T. No one will ever know that you did or didn’t read that post, move on dude, leave it alone. Who in the actual **** cares how many times it’s asked? Just don’t answer it if you don’t want any to! Why is that so hard?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts