Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Colorado LT, Extended Cab, Long Box, V6 4WD, Bright Blue Metallic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in the mountains and lose power frequently so I keep a supply of gas on hand for our generator.

What’s the best and safest way to carry gas cans in the bed? Especially on steep and winding roads.

We have a cargo carrier that we used with our Outback but I’d feel rather foolish slipping that into the truck’s hitch.

Ideas? I was thinking of making a PVC pipe frame the cans can sit in and then attach the frame to the bed’s tie-down loops. I just want to know if there is a better way to handle this situation before I do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
We live in the mountains and lose power frequently so I keep a supply of gas on hand for our generator.

What’s the best and safest way to carry gas cans in the bed? Especially on steep and winding roads.

We have a cargo carrier that we used with our Outback but I’d feel rather foolish slipping that into the truck’s hitch.

Ideas? I was thinking of making a PVC pipe frame the cans can sit in and then attach the frame to the bed’s tie-down loops. I just want to know if there is a better way to handle this situation before I do that.

I’m also interested to see some setups as well. I bought a couple Jerry Cans that I’d like to mount in the bed...preferably under tonneau cover. I’ve seen the mounts sold, but haven’t seen too many setups in the Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
Really depends how much you want to spend and what kind of gas cans you have... Keep in mind, a full 5gal gas can is about 35#. Do you trust PVC to hold that?

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really depends how much you want to spend and what kind of gas cans you have... Keep in mind, a full 5gal gas can is about 35#. Do you trust PVC to hold that?
That’s a good point. I’d have to test the frame to determine the breaking point. If the pipe sections are short enough, the frame will be more rigid. I don’t want to use metal.

As far as the gas cans. Sure Cans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fabricated rack (of PVC) appeals to me as well and seems like it could work provided it fits snugly enough and you find a good way to secure it.
I think the more secure option might be a dedicated metal jerry can holder secured to the bed with bolts or rivnuts.
I want something I can remove from the bed when not using it. If the frame was the width of the bed, it could easily be secured to the tie-down loops with either a strap or heavy duty wire ties.

The frame would have to strong enough to carry 20 gallons (4 cans) or 140 pounds (+-).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have in the past used one of those cargo bars to wedge the VP racing cans up against the back of the cab and then just ran a simple rope through the handles to keep them from bouncing up. Also keeps them from sliding around. I get about six gallons in each but they are taller than wide.

Reactions: CWatsonJr

·
Registered
62 Posts
I frequently carry five 5 gallon plastic cans in my Colorado. I use ratcheting expandable cargo bars I picked up at Lowes for about $25 a piece. I use one if I put them against the front of the bed for trips or hauling with other stuff, and two (one in front and one in back of the cans) back by the tail gate for short trips when I don't want to fold back my cover. Holds them just fine. Bed's sprayed so they don't slide around. 2018 W/T 3.6 tow pax and gasoline grey.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
With your arms straight out from your body--best exercise ever!

My way is probably the worst way, but I don't tend to carry much gas--just a gallon or so for a generator given I have a diesel. And I only carry it when towing a trailer, because that's when I might need a generator. Anyway . . .

I have two straps that go across the bed, one about 5" back from the front and another about 2' back from the front. The tank sits in-between, and then there are other objects beside it so that it cannot fall over. I think for a larger quantity of gas I'd want something more substantial.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I frequently carry five 5 gallon plastic cans in my Colorado. I use ratcheting expandable cargo bars I picked up at Lowes for about $25 a piece. I use one if I put them against the front of the bed for trips or hauling with other stuff, and two (one in front and one in back of the cans) back by the tail gate for short trips when I don't want to fold back my cover. Holds them just fine. Bed's sprayed so they don't slide around. 2018 W/T 3.6 tow pax and gasoline grey.
I just looked these up on the Lowe’s website. This is probably the route I’ll take.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When I go to the race track, I carry extra fuel in the bed of the truck. I simply run a ratcheting cargo strap through the handles and attach them to lower tie downs. Anywhere from 2 to 5 jugs are easily secured without worry.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just looked these up on the Lowe’s website. This is probably the route I’ll take.

Thank you!

The one I got was from harbor freight I believe. It was exactly the same but a little cheaper... harbor freight is closer to me than lowes or homedepot though. :)

Reactions: CWatsonJr

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,779 Posts
Here is how I have them in my bed:
Rigid 22 Tool Caddy.jpg

Since I have the BedRug, I use a a Ratchet Strap through the handles and go from tie down point to tie down point. The cans stay in place full or empty.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The method I tried to describe above also uses ratchet straps, but I hadn't considered having them go through the handle.
Here is how I have them in my bed:
View attachment 398018
Since I have the BedRug, I use a a Ratchet Strap through the handles and go from tie down point to tie down point. The cans stay in place full or empty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What kind of gas cans are you using? I wouldn't trust the basic plastic cans you can buy from your local hardware store. I use Wavian 20L Jerry Cans holders bolted to Unistrut Rails that are anchored in the tie down points forms a very solid mount that takes up little bed space.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Obviously not a solution for everyone but I fabbed two cages for my Scepter MFCs out of some angle and flat iron laying around the shop and bolted them to the rails for my camper's hitch, Rubber molding was added at all points of contact to prevent abrasion and insure a snug fit. Cable locks provide security. Five minutes to remove the cages and hitch tower.
IMG_7034.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used one of those for years in my last Colorado. Held my tool bins between the tailgate and the bar. Never had one move. Adjust so it keeps the cans snug to the tailgate and could use a bungie cord through the handles to the cargo bar if only one or two.
Also handy for fishing loose stuff that had slid to the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, new to the forum, saw this post and figured I would share what I did. Basically, I purchased two Smittybuilt Jerry can holders. I then cut the bottom part off so the bottom was flush. Used a longer bolt in bottom of vertical part where attaches to bottom piece (only the top one of the two bolts) and drilled hole in bracket and added a longer bolt further up to go through bed divider. I then drilled some holes in my 'Gear On' GM bed divider and attached the holders with stainless wingnuts. This way I can take them in and out in minutes as needed. I also added a rubber edge guard on the vertical piece that presses up against divider. Have not tried it yet with both cans full, but the bottom part rests flat on bed of truck and seems pretty solid. Even fits under my tonneau cover. One possible issue is with the new 'capless' gas caps. The typical nozzle (as attached to top of can in photo) is not long enough to pass through both little doors in filler neck. I found a longer one that I believe will work, but have not had time to test it yet, Hope you find this helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use milk crates for 20 gallon propane tanks and I purchased the larger milk crates at Walmart which hold a 5 gallon gas jug perfectly. With a rubber bed mat there is no sliding around and the crates prevent the propane tanks from rolling around and gas jugs from tipping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts