Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wentzville plant is currently shut down until April 12. It will shut down again in late May until late July. After the May-July shut down, will they built 2021 models or 2022 models? Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't have any inside info, but that is usually the time frame for new Chevy models, so I would guess they start building 2022 models when they reopen in July.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
They usually shut down in July for a bit to re-tool for the next years models..

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I have had a new Canyon on order for a month. I guess they will have to get it built between shut downs, or I will have to make new plans. This might be interesting.

·
Registered
2003 Chevy S-10 ZR2
90 Posts
I was told on March 1 that my Colorado will be built during the second week of April, which now makes sense.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Well, I have had a new Canyon on order for a month. I guess they will have to get it built between shut downs, or I will have to make new plans. This might be interesting.
it is probably already built just waiting for the chip or chips

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
3 Posts
my colorado has been built just waiting on the chip. been waiting for 7 months. I hope I get it soon.:unsure:

·
Registered
123 Posts
What is meant by "chip". I am seriously asking
Google - semiconductor shortage auto industry.

GM and a few other makes are having to idle manufacturing because they are unable to get enough semiconductor supply for certain control modules, some necessary, some less so (cylinder de-activation on the full sizes). Wentzville has been affected as has Lansing Grand River (Camaro and new Caddy sedans) among others. Full size trucks have been getting priority - since they make the big profits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My opinion based on a month of trying to find out where my truck is that was supposedly built first week of March. According to local St Louis news the plant should have gone back to work today April 5. My bet is they still have no room to assemble more trucks, so may be shifting labor to prepare for the 22 model year. My eta as of today is now May 28, which is just a number fed to me by a call center. In transit to Madison with production code 4300 means they put the truck on a rail car and rolled it 5 miles east just over the Miss. As the Q1 report is nigh with GM stock being all over the place, it behooves them to play dumb. If I dont cancel the order, I will be looking for freight damage like it's my job (ok I do failure analysis on sheet metal and coatings as part of my job) but seriously these stored trucks are not going to be perfect after a month or 5 of sitting.
Why GM stock hasn't tanked is a mystery.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Let's see, automakers cancel their order for microchips because they think they'll not be selling enough vehicles. Chip makers, now with excess capacity, get orders from consumer products companies as the demand for electronics soars due to the pandemic. The auto companies are proven wrong, so they want to restore their cancelled orders, which now exceeds the demand on the chip makers and they wonder why there's a problem. But it's someone else's fault.

All automakers are affected, so it's not just a GM or Ford thing. Maybe if they hadn't canceled their orders...

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
What is meant by "chip". I am seriously asking
A semiconductor "chip" is the reference given to the chip-like appearance of any number of silicon type micro miniature electronic circuits used in a wide array of electronic products.
They can be any shape, but usually square or rectangular and very thin. Ergo . . . a "chip" of silicone substrate containing micro miniature electronic circuitry .
Pictured here is an example of one - - -

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
5 Posts
My order was placed by the local dealer on February 23, right before the whole chip saga hit the fan at Wentzville. I'm still in an 1101 status (i.e., it hasn't been officially accepted by GM yet). I'm starting to wonder if it could miss the end-of-May '21 model year production shut-down entirely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you guys have to contact your dealer to find the status number (i.e. 1101), or is that something I can find somewhere on the internet? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you guys have to contact your dealer to find the status number (i.e. 1101), or is that something I can find someuwhere on the internet? Thanks.
use the chevrolet chat. click the icon that comes up to the lower right. have your order or vin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My order was placed by the local dealer on February 23, right before the whole chip saga hit the fan at Wentzville. I'm still in an 1101 status (i.e., it hasn't been officially accepted by GM yet). I'm starting to wonder if it could miss the end-of-May '21 model year production shut-down entirely.
I'm in almost the exact same timeline (I put mine in on 2/20/21) - no movement yet on mine either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just for frame of reference, since there are multiple threads out there...

Ordered 12/21/20
Went to build 1/10/21
Built 2/1/21
Expected at dealer 2/9/21
Delayed. New expected date 5/5/21

·
Registered
3 Posts
here is my time frame for my order:

Ordered on 09/24/2020
went to build on 02/22/2021
expected at dealer 03/15/2021
to this date still have not received my new truck. they say between now and mid June

1 - 20 of 32 Posts